Marshall Co. 56, CPA 36 - Tigerettes Advance

PageMan

Marshall Co. started slowly and only led by 7 at the half, but they came on in the 3rd qtr to lead by 18 and took the win in the 4th qtr, 56-36. over a scappy CPA team that held their own in the 1st half. Marshall Co. was led by Lauren March with 23 pts and 11 rebs followed by Jessica McQueen with 9 pts that included 2 threes and McKenna Moffett with 8 pts with 2 threes and 4 assists. CPA was led by Anna Mitchell who had 10 pts and 7 rebs followed by Logan Miller with 9 that included 1 three and 4 of 4 FT's. Turnovers were a key to Marshall's win as CPA had 24 while the Tigerettes had 14.

CPA.....11...6......4...15.....36

MC.......11..13....15..17.....56

Marshall Co. Player Stats:

Lauren March - 23 pts (5 of 7 FT's), 11 rebs, 1 blk

Jessica McQueen - 9 pts (2 threes, 3 of 4 FT's), 1 reb, 1 asst

McKenna Moffett - 8 pts (2 threes, 2 of 4 FT's), 2 rebs, 4 assts

Jakerra Simmons - 5 pts (1 of 4 FT's), 3 rebs, 2 assts

Kanesha McLean - 4 pts, 2 rebs, 1 asst

Danika Hopkins - 4 pts (2 of 3 FT's), 1 reb, 2 assts

Mieke Wallace - 3 pts (1 of 2 FT's), 1 reb

Addricka O'Neal - 1 reb

CPA Player Stats:

Anna Mitchell - 10 pts, 7 rebs, 1 blk

Logan Miller - 9 pts (1 three, 4 of 4 FT's), 3 rebs, 2 assts

Annie Hardman - 5 pts (1 three, 0 of 1 FT's), 2 rebs, 1 asst

Emily Boyd - 5 pts (1 of 2 FT's), 2 rebs

Curry James - 3 pts (1 three, 0 of 1 FT's), 1 reb

Hannah Thurley - 2 pts (2 of 2 FT's), 2 rebs

Megan Lankford - 2 pts, 1 asst

Rachel James - 1 reb

Maddie Radcliff - 1 asst

Team Stats:

Three Point Goals: MC 4, CPA 3

Free Throws: MC 14 of 24 (58.3%), CPA 7 of 10 (70%)

Rebounds: MC 22, CPA 18

Assists: MC 10, CPA 5

Blocks: MC 1, CPA 1

Fouls: MC 13, CPA 19

Turnovers: MC 14, CPA 25

The teams were tied, 11-11, at the end of the 1st qtr, as Marshall Co.'s March had 4, McQueen hit a three, and both Simmons and Hopkins had 2 each while CPA's Hardman had 5 with a three, Mitchell had 4, and Boyd had 2.

In the 2nd qtr, MC outscored CPA, 13-6, as March had 6, Moffett hit a three, and both Simmons and McLean each had 2 while CPA's Mitchell had 4 and Lankford had 2 as MC led at the half, 24-17. Turnovers were a key as MC had only 3 and CPA had 9.

In the 3rd qtr, MC took control as they outscored CPA, 15-4, as March had 5 (1 of 1 FT's), both McQueen and Moffett each hit a three, Hopkins hit 2 of 2 FT's, and McLean had 2 while CPA's Mitchell had 2 and Miller hit 2 of 2 FT's as MC led after 3 qtrs, 39-21.

In the 4th qtr, MC outscored CPA, 17-15, as March had 8 (4 of 6 FT's), McQueen hit 3 of 4 FT's, Wallace had 3 (1 of 2 FT's), Moffet hit 2 of 4 FT's, and Simmons hit 1 of 2 FT's while CPA's Miller had 7 (1 three, 2 of 2 FT's), James hit a three (0 of 1 FT's), Boyd had 3 (1 of 2 FT's), and Thurley hit 2 of 2 FT's as Marshall Co. won, 56-36. In this qtr, MC hit 11 of 18 FT's to CPA's 5 of 8.

Marshall Co. advances to the Semi-Finals of Region 5-AA at Spring Hill where they will face the #2 seed of District 9-AA East Literature who won over Lewis Co. 56-54.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great recap of the game for those of us who could not attend!! Thank you.

I hate that FRA or David Lipscomb did not make it to the region, because either would have been good matches against Marshall County, and their strong inside game. I'm curious to see how the physical play of 9AA (Ezell, East Lit, and Hume Fogg) is going to fare in this tourney. I think that the refs will have a strong say in whether physical teams can play hard without getting into foul trouble. If games are called tight, East Lit and Hume Fogg may be in trouble. 9AA refs allowed very physical play. Ezell is the most well rounded team. They have the offense to counteract a tightly called game. They have the best press of what is representing 9AA in the tourney, so they are definitely going to be the team to beat. I'd love to see a Marshall Co.- Ezell match-up.

Marshall County is the team to beat. Lauren March is the strongest at post in the region. Play Zone, and attempt a press. I don't think many teams in the state have seen 9AA presses. If you played Pearl-Cohn or Ezell, you know what a good press looks like. Bottom line...consistent outside shooting and taking the lane, will beat Marshall. Ezell has the best chance, but I'm pulling for anyone from 9AA.

Go 9AA!!! We are pulling for you.

Marhsall Co...you are definitely the team to beat. Congrats on a great year!

Great recap of the game for those of us who could not attend!! Thank you.

I hate that FRA or David Lipscomb did not make it to the region, because either would have been good matches against Marshall County, and their strong inside game. I'm curious to see how the physical play of 9AA (Ezell, East Lit, and Hume Fogg) is going to fare in this tourney. I think that the refs will have a strong say in whether physical teams can play hard without getting into foul trouble. If games are called tight, East Lit and Hume Fogg may be in trouble. 9AA refs allowed very physical play. Ezell is the most well rounded team. They have the offense to counteract a tightly called game. They have the best press of what is representing 9AA in the tourney, so they are definitely going to be the team to beat. I'd love to see a Marshall Co.- Ezell match-up.

Marshall County is the team to beat. Lauren March is the strongest at post in the region. Play Zone, and attempt a press. I don't think many teams in the state have seen 9AA presses. If you played Pearl-Cohn or Ezell, you know what a good press looks like. Bottom line...consistent outside shooting and taking the lane, will beat Marshall. Ezell has the best chance, but I'm pulling for anyone from 9AA.

Go 9AA!!! We are pulling for you.

Marhsall Co...you are definitely the team to beat. Congrats on a great year!

Surprisingly East Lt is the only 9AA left in it.

Surprisingly East Lt is the only 9AA left in it.

I posted to this thread before I saw the other 9AA casualties. I'll say it again, I think FRA or David Lipscomb would have played better in the region than some teams that made it. Unforunately, DL had to go against East Lit who is hotter than hot right now. FRA... dang they had to play a VERY tough Hume Fogg.

If you are a 9AA fan, you know that EVERY game was tough in this district. Teams were bound to have a cold night now and then, it just seems that it hit great teams on clutch nights. No crying in basketball...TRULY great teams do not let nerves, fatigue, or a cold night affect their record. No excuses! The teams that win deserve to be there.

East Lit...a true Cinderella story. Good luck

If East Lit is allowed to play a tough physical game, they have a chance against Marshall County. If the game is called even somewhat tight Cinderella is going to lose the glass slipper. Marshall County can match size and athleticism and have better shooters.

I agree 100 percent. This game is going to depend on how far the refs let East Lit go with their physical game. These girls have no fear. They will run across the floor when pressing and accidentially slam into you for a steal, throw you to the ground on a jump ball, and strip the ball from your hands on a rebound. They are strong and fearless. Several players in 9AA were injured when playing this team. Don't get me wrong, they do not play dirty, they just play 100% and aren't worried about injuring themselves. This means someone might get hurt if in the line of fire. They do not come out physical, so they are deceiving. Watch out for 3rd and 4th quarter. This is when they really turn on the defense. Like wolves, they wait for their prey to get weak.

I agree that Marshall Co has the experience and shooters. It will depend on the growing trend of physicallity in women's basketball. If it is a straight-up, run plays, outside shooting basketball game, MC wins. If the refs let them play like they do in 9AA, EL will win...but barely.

I have corrected the Free Throws for Marshall Co. from 12 of 22 to 14 of 24 (58.3%) - Sorry for the error as I thought I had corrected that last night. The FT difference between the teams (MC 24, CPA 10) was mainly due to CPA fouling late in the game hoping MC would miss from the line, but MC hit 11 of 18 (61.1%) which is sort of down from their normal FT%. The officials were from the Cookeville area and pretty much let the teams play in the 1st half as the fouls were even at 4 each.

It will be an interesting game between Marshall and East Literature on Monday as I plan on being there to observe the action. I believe we will see a more physical game from Marshall as I felt they were a little tentative against CPA in the 1st half. I'll do a little research on EL to see what has turned their season around in the post season.

I posted to this thread before I saw the other 9AA casualties. I'll say it again, I think FRA or David Lipscomb would have played better in the region than some teams that made it. Unforunately, DL had to go against East Lit who is hotter than hot right now. FRA... dang they had to play a VERY tough Hume Fogg.

If you are a 9AA fan, you know that EVERY game was tough in this district. Teams were bound to have a cold night now and then, it just seems that it hit great teams on clutch nights. No crying in basketball...TRULY great teams do not let nerves, fatigue, or a cold night affect their record. No excuses! The teams that win deserve to be there.

East Lit...a true Cinderella story. Good luck

FRA and DL did not earn the right to play in the Region because they could not get it done it District. That gives me no reason to think they would have done any better than the other 9AA teams did in Region.