whats going on with the refs?

devilish

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would they try to steal a game for CR, that may be the dumbest post I have seen on here yet. It seems things always go JC way at the end of the game. Some because of JC will to win, some just plain luck, and some pretty convenient calls or no calls. Don't come on here with that weak horsecrap post. At least say something funny or intelligent.

/ohmy.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" /> You are a good one to talk options, you have had some pretty stupid post yourself!! Now that's funny!! /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" /> LOL! I am trying to get you fired up for the game cause i am going to be loud and proud tonight......I hate for you not to have that team spirit...Things don't always go JC way, cause if they did we be up by 20 or better when we played CR.....Now is that funny enough, I know just tell me you miss my funny post the last few days!! Come on admit it you miss me lol /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" />

Thats ok gottaloveit, there are many things that 95% of the fans out there don't understand either. Just glad to give some perspective on it. The rule book is simple, it is how it is enforced that gets people in trouble. Remember, we have a split second to make a call while people in the stands have all night to debate over the call. Honestly, 99.9% of the calls I make, I don't have a problem with after a game. Once in a long while I may call something where I tell myself "If I'd held my whistle just a second ...".

I've always thought it interesting that a team can shoot 35% from the field, make 10 of 15 from the free throw line, have 14 turnovers, foul the other team's shooter 8-10 times, and lose by 9 yet they want to blame the loss on the referees over one 'wrong' call. I have refereed many games and have yet seen one in which a referee's call makes a team lose.

Thats ok gottaloveit, there are many things that 95% of the fans out there don't understand either. Just glad to give some perspective on it. The rule book is simple, it is how it is enforced that gets people in trouble. Remember, we have a split second to make a call while people in the stands have all night to debate over the call. Honestly, 99.9% of the calls I make, I don't have a problem with after a game. Once in a long while I may call something where I tell myself "If I'd held my whistle just a second ...".

I've always thought it interesting that a team can shoot 35% from the field, make 10 of 15 from the free throw line, have 14 turnovers, foul the other team's shooter 8-10 times, and lose by 9 yet they want to blame the loss on the referees over one 'wrong' call. I have refereed many games and have yet seen one in which a referee's call makes a team lose.

I have never blamed a loss on one bad call. But, if you are trying to fill us with the BS that ref's have never blown a game, you are full of it up to your eyeballs. Close games can be decided by the blow of a whistle, or by a ref holding his whistle too long. Ive been around this game for, well heck, Im not admitting how old I am here. Lets just say I have been around it a long stinking time.

I have seen games where the refs were perfect, and I have seen games where they are not. And the games where they are not, happen much more often than the games where they are. Does that always cost a team a game? NO, absolutely not. As you have said, it more likely comes down to poor shooting, turn overs, not boxing out, or just dumb luck.

But dont be flapping around in here like you dont put your pants on one leg at a time like the rest of us. I have seen PLENTY of close games where a refs call at the end makes a difference as to who wins the game. Sometimes it is the right call, sometimes it is not.

I have played. I have reffed, and I have coached. And quite frankly any of those three options beats the dog snot out of being a parent and sitting up in the stands, watching helplessly while a ref tries to figure out which end of a whistle to blow in, or has it shove so far up his tailfeathers that it blows every time he exhales.

And while you are at it, where I was taught to ref, we were taught NOT to concentrate on one side or the other(offense/defense) because statistics showed that if you did that, you would surely be calling more against the side you are concentrating on. Calls can change from Charge to Blocking in a matter of one second. If you are locked in one way, you have a high probability of missing the call going the other direction.

Im not saying you are WRONG, just sayin that you may not always be right.

I only know of one man who ever walked on water. I am not him, nor are you. Don't come waltzing in here being the "defender of all that is perfect in the refereeing world" cause it isnt perfect. In fact. I have seen worse officiating since I have been in the state of TN (just over a year) than I ever saw back home.

If I ever calm down, I will come back and give my "Carry, Barry, Bury" rant all over again. (stinking network locked up on me last time I tried to post it)

Edit: and dont give me this 95% BS either. There is more knowledge in those stands than you give credit for. Maybe that is part of the problem, the refs think we are all stupid.

Gatorbill, I absolutely love the tailfeathers comment /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> That had me rollin'. And I agree, their are a lot of people in the stands that know a lot about basketball and usually those are the ones that aren't yelling those commical sayings to the ref. If I yell, then something is definitely wrong with the way a game is being called. I have yelled maybe 3 times this entire year, at a ref that is...I yell at poor lil sis all the time and luckily she ignores me...lol. I'm not saying that I know all, I've never been a ref...don't wanna be a ref...wouldn't look good in those pants...but I do know basketball and I KNOW the charging calls were wrong BOTH ways. Those calls, to me, cannot be justified in any way.

Gatorbill, I absolutely love the tailfeathers comment /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> That had me rollin'. And I agree, their are a lot of people in the stands that know a lot about basketball and usually those are the ones that aren't yelling those commical sayings to the ref. If I yell, then something is definitely wrong with the way a game is being called. I have yelled maybe 3 times this entire year, at a ref that is...I yell at poor lil sis all the time and luckily she ignores me...lol. I'm not saying that I know all, I've never been a ref...don't wanna be a ref...wouldn't look good in those pants...but I do know basketball and I KNOW the charging calls were wrong BOTH ways. Those calls, to me, cannot be justified in any way.

I know there are bad calls in every game, but it appears to me (and I was not there) that there was a little bit of interpretation problems with the refs at that game.

I usually dont have a problem with an individual refs interpretation of these kinds of things, as long at it is always the same. But like you say, if it keeps changing, that makes a game hard to watch.

Chances are, if a ref is "bi-stinksual" (meaning he stinks the same on both ends of the court) that he/she will get much better treatment from the coaches, and the fans. But if they are not seeing the game the same way on both ends, there will be trouble, and it will not matter what schools are playing.

Good luck to tonight. (and hope you get some great refs!!!)

EDIT: I try not to yell too much at games, for a couple reasons. One is because the refs, and coaches both have a tough enough job without me sticking my big mouth into the middle of it. And I somehow have a way of being heard in even the largest of gyms. I leave all of that to MrsGatorBill. She is the loudest woman I have ever met. (but of course, I have not met most of the JC crowd in person yet!!!)

The last time I flat out yelled at a ref was when there was quite a lengthy "chat about" going on at the district finals, and I yelled out something about "getting each others phone #s and chatting about that after the game". Somehow it just happened to be when everyone else in the gym was silent. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

/ohmy.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" /> You are a good one to talk options, you have had some pretty stupid post yourself!! Now that's funny!! /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" /> LOL! I am trying to get you fired up for the game cause i am going to be loud and proud tonight......I hate for you not to have that team spirit...Things don't always go JC way, cause if they did we be up by 20 or better when we played CR.....Now is that funny enough, I know just tell me you miss my funny post the last few days!! Come on admit it you miss me lol /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" />

You got me so fired up I am leaving right now. That will give me time to make up a nice stash of snowballs. I don't think I am going to wait till after the game, I may do some pregame targeting. I am still waiting for the 5th match-up before I get too crazy on here. I would say good luck, but I wouldn't mean it, but to good health on both sides.

When the coaches coach a perfect ballgame and the kids play a perfect ballgame, then the ref,s that you think are so bad will call a perfect ballgame. /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

You people need to get a life and quit living your wanna be sports life through the KIDS ON THESE TEAMS and just let everyone have fun and let the chips fall where they may. one last thing people quit WHINNNNNNNNNNING.

I,M OUT. /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Options, if it gets too bad with the refs, maybe we can throw snowballs at them /ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ph34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

We can't blame it on the refs tonight, we got outplayed. They called a very good game. I didn't understand them charging us with a timeout when JC called it, but it didn't matter anyway. He said one of our girls called it, and she was on the bench. She went in after JC called the timeout. Besides that, they did an excellent job, I wish they would have gave it to us like Coach07 said they would, but no such luck!

We can't blame it on the refs tonight, we got outplayed. They called a very good game. I didn't understand them charging us with a timeout when JC called it, but it didn't matter anyway. He said one of our girls called it, and she was on the bench. She went in after JC called the timeout. Besides that, they did an excellent job, I wish they would have gave it to us like Coach07 said they would, but no such luck!

Well, options ya made home before i did, and yea the ref's did make a few crazy calls and think we had one he was real whistle happy, but all in all they did ok, and yea i agree it was crazy but both teams I think were trying to call time out and as crazy as it was there was an over turn call,...that call was right cause it was out on us but the overide ref could not have seen that from where he was lol ...options, one thing bothers me , us jc fan's stood up and had all the respect in the world for cr girls cause they played their heart out and we do respect cr for that ,but when our girls got called out there where maybe 10 to 15 people in cr clapped and cheered for our girls... We are good rivalry team but no sense in being bad sports about it.. We do really respect cr they are a good team and our girls had their game face on but they still are not playing the best i have seen...They are doing good!! Long as you guy's aren't playing us I wish you the best of luck.... btw nice to meet ya!!!! Hope to see ya down the road!!!