Region 6A All Tourney Team

cat1973

I need someone to explain a few things to me. Please don't think I am harping on any particular player or players that made the all tourney team but the numbers just won't add up. As I was wondering who on Wayne Co.'s starting 5 would be left off ,because it was doubtful all would make it. I didn't expect a team they had just beaten by 39 pts. to get more. These awards are supposed to be for the region tourney results and nothing more.

Let's see WC wins by 18,19, and 39 gets 3 on all tourney. Second place team gets 4.One team that doesn't win a game gets 2, a team that wins 1 game gets 4 (1 more than the champs).

Someone please explain how this happens. Apparently someone voting out of spite or just plain politics. Whatever this is just not right and if they can't do better maybe it would be best not to give them at all.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I need someone to explain a few things to me. Please don't think I am harping on any particular player or players that made the all tourney team but the numbers just won't add up. As I was wondering who on Wayne Co.'s starting 5 would be left off ,because it was doubtful all would make it. I didn't expect a team they had just beaten by 39 pts. to get more. These awards are supposed to be for the region tourney results and nothing more.

Let's see WC wins by 18,19, and 39 gets 3 on all tourney. Second place team gets 4.One team that doesn't win a game gets 2, a team that wins 1 game gets 4 (1 more than the champs).

Someone please explain how this happens. Apparently someone voting out of spite or just plain politics. Whatever this is just not right and if they can't do better maybe it would be best not to give them at all.

hey cat

you're right...it's sad to say, but with the way things are going, they should do away with the team, which is what district 12a did a year or two ago by doing away with the district all tourney team...there are several problems with the format...the most obvious to me was that the ballots were turned in before last night's game even began! another problem is this horrible tournament format that T$$AA is using(don't know if you were at the game or not, but it was not your usual championship crowd which is sad for the kids)...when the first round games are satellited out, you have to rely on either box scores or talking to other coaches to even know who to vote for off the other teams, the third is that most coaches just really don't care about the all-tourney team to begin with---usually just causes hard feelings on their team! and you must be right about someone voting out of spite b/c with 16 players total on the all-tourney team and only 3 off the championship team, something's wrong. first, you can't vote for your own players, so if i'm completing my all tourney ballot, in a way it's kind of hard to come up with 16 girls and not vote 4-5 ppl off 1st place team when you can't even pick your own players. but, evidently someone did. potete played well last night with about 14 pts. i believe, and hammonds had a double-double last night with 18 and 10 so i really felt like she would make it, but wait, last night's CHAMPIONSHIP game didn't matter in the voting! sometimes the districts "stick" together as well and vote for more of their district's players than the other district...sad, i know...

my solution: choose a committee that sees all the games to choose the team. there are several ways you could do this, but i'd probably choose one person from each town that knows their bball and tell them they can get in free to the tourney games if they will attend all games and then make an unbiased vote on the all-tourney team. ballots could either be due at halftime of championship game or after the game if there was a boys' game following it. just my two cents worth....i just hope the girls don't take this all-region stuff too seriously....years from now no one will remember who got individuall awards, but they will remember where this TEAM finished and secured their place in lady cat history! hey, just one more win for the big banner now!!!!!!!

Another reason that I hate all tournament teams. It splits teams up, and players end up playing for themselves rather than the team, which is the reason basketball is supposed to be played. Then afterwards, coaches have to do everything in their power to stop the infighting. Besides that, politics decides who is selected in many cases. I wish this was a ritual that would be done away with, although it will never happen.

hey cat

you're right...it's sad to say, but with the way things are going, they should do away with the team, which is what district 12a did a year or two ago by doing away with the district all tourney team...there are several problems with the format...the most obvious to me was that the ballots were turned in before last night's game even began! another problem is this horrible tournament format that T$$AA is using(don't know if you were at the game or not, but it was not your usual championship crowd which is sad for the kids)...when the first round games are satellited out, you have to rely on either box scores or talking to other coaches to even know who to vote for off the other teams, the third is that most coaches just really don't care about the all-tourney team to begin with---usually just causes hard feelings on their team! and you must be right about someone voting out of spite b/c with 16 players total on the all-tourney team and only 3 off the championship team, something's wrong. first, you can't vote for your own players, so if i'm completing my all tourney ballot, in a way it's kind of hard to come up with 16 girls and not vote 4-5 ppl off 1st place team when you can't even pick your own players. but, evidently someone did. potete played well last night with about 14 pts. i believe, and hammonds had a double-double last night with 18 and 10 so i really felt like she would make it, but wait, last night's CHAMPIONSHIP game didn't matter in the voting! sometimes the districts "stick" together as well and vote for more of their district's players than the other district...sad, i know...

my solution: choose a committee that sees all the games to choose the team. there are several ways you could do this, but i'd probably choose one person from each town that knows their bball and tell them they can get in free to the tourney games if they will attend all games and then make an unbiased vote on the all-tourney team. ballots could either be due at halftime of championship game or after the game if there was a boys' game following it. just my two cents worth....i just hope the girls don't take this all-region stuff too seriously....years from now no one will remember who got individuall awards, but they will remember where this TEAM finished and secured their place in lady cat history! hey, just one more win for the big banner now!!!!!!!

HEY OLD FRIEND!!!!!!

DOnt know about you ptguard but i could not even tell you where my all-district and all-region awards are... More than lately in a box in my parents basement.(I know all of your awards could not even fit into one box like mine).. BUt i know exactly where my teams District and REgion Championship banners are located!!!! In my perfect world there would be no all-district or all-region teams. I just feel real uneasy about giving individual awards in a team sport. I am also trying to get something started next year at my school. I dont like it that only the starters get their names called out.. WHy do 5 out of 15 kids get their names announced. I am trying to pursued my principal to buy into the idea of annnouncing everybodies name before every home game next year!!!!... Just my opinion... Lets go to VEGAS again!!!!

-Ptguard---youre my HERO!!!!!

I am also trying to get something started next year at my school. I dont like it that only the starters get their names called out.. WHy do 5 out of 15 kids get their names announced. I am trying to pursued my principal to buy into the idea of annnouncing everybodies name before every home game next year!!!!... Just my opinion... Lets go to VEGAS again!!!!

This is a great idea! I have always thought that the entire team is never given enough credit when in fact the five starting on the floor would never be too successful without the great team members coming in off the bench, often to the rescue. It is time to build that net of support around all our players instead of just holding a few up high. Consider promoting your idea on a thread.

HEY OLD FRIEND!!!!!!

DOnt know about you ptguard but i could not even tell you where my all-district and all-region awards are... More than lately in a box in my parents basement.(I know all of your awards could not even fit into one box like mine).. BUt i know exactly where my teams District and REgion Championship banners are located!!!! In my perfect world there would be no all-district or all-region teams. I just feel real uneasy about giving individual awards in a team sport. I am also trying to get something started next year at my school. I dont like it that only the starters get their names called out.. WHy do 5 out of 15 kids get their names announced. I am trying to pursued my principal to buy into the idea of annnouncing everybodies name before every home game next year!!!!... Just my opinion... Lets go to VEGAS again!!!!

hey reno old buddy old pal...i know where my all-dist. and all-region awards are--at the bottom of some landfill...haha....when we moved i just decided i didn't have room or need them so i trashed 'em all...i kept a few of the college awards and nicer high school awards, but they're collecting dust in a box somewhere...but it's like you said...i know exactly where my team's four state banners are located in the david a. byrd memorial gymnasium...hehe...and btw baby we be goin back to the overloaded mini-van city on june 29 ("i'll just sit back here" as my 6'3" husband climbs into the tiny trunk section of a mini-van--don't even say that didn't make you smile)...hope to see you at the murph next week??? oh, and YOU'RE my HERO--i mean i was gonna name my firstborn after you you know...except it was a she instead of a he...and where's thelma?

although this was a faulty situation i can promise you this...neither potete nor hammonds lost any sleep last night since they didn't get the award..for they are REGION CHAMPS and now get to host a substate game.i'm pretty sure they're just focusing on what needs to get taken care of to win saturday and be back in murfreesboro! GOOD LUCK LADY CATS! play like you did all week and that gold ball is yours!

hey reno old buddy old pal...i know where my all-dist. and all-region awards are--at the bottom of some landfill...haha....when we moved i just decided i didn't have room or need them so i trashed 'em all...i kept a few of the college awards and nicer high school awards, but they're collecting dust in a box somewhere...but it's like you said...i know exactly where my team's four state banners are located in the david a. byrd memorial gymnasium...hehe...and btw baby we be goin back to the overloaded mini-van city on june 29 ("i'll just sit back here" as my 6'3" husband climbs into the tiny trunk section of a mini-van--don't even say that didn't make you smile)...hope to see you at the murph next week??? oh, and YOU'RE my HERO--i mean i was gonna name my firstborn after you you know...except it was a she instead of a he...and where's thelma?

Thelma is trying to run a county... She is too HIGHCLASS for us education people!!! I hope the Cats make it to state. I would love to see you and your husband next week!!! The minivan story brings back great memories!!! ha ha

Does anyone have a list of those that made it?

unofficially:

wayne county (3): julia myers, rachel melson, tristan daniel

santa fe (4): macenzie white, lauren gardner, lindsey sewell, bobbi dodson

moore county(4): boyce, pincheon, ?, ?

richland (2): rachel glidden, jasmine duke

collinwood (2): lesley daniel, trista rich

summertown (1): haley lovett

Region 6A All-Tournament Team

Wayne County - Julia Myers (Sr.), Rachel Melson (Sr.), Tristan Daniel (Sr.)

Santa Fe - Macenze White (Sr.), Lauren Gardner (Sr.), Lindsey Sewell (Sr.), Bobbi Dodson (So.)

Moore County - Vanessa Pincheon (Sr.), Fallon Boyce (Jr.), Heather Vann (Fr.), Rachel Garland (8th)

Richland - Rachel Glidden (Sr.), Jasmine Duke (Jr.)

Collinwood - Lesley Daniel (Sr.), Trista Rich (Jr.)

Summertown - Haley Lovett (Sr.)

Honestly, I don't get why some people are on this list and others are not. I definitely don't understand how Collinwood gets two girls on the list when they were put out in the first round, just as Cornersville and Perry County were. How Santa Fe and Moore County get four players on the list and Wayne County only gets three is beyond me as well. The voting was not done correctly and the All-Tournament team should be limited to, at most, fifteen players. My list would have probably looked something like this:

Wayne County - Myers, Melson, Daniel, and Hammonds

Santa Fe - White, Sewell, Gardner

Moore County - Pincheon, Vann or Boyce (hard decision)

Richland - Glidden, Duke

Collinwood - Rich

Perry County - Dabbs

Summertown - Lovett

Cornersville - Nelms