Knoxville top 10 teams

BigG

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

did i miss something what happened to brandon tarr

Brandon decided to sit his senior season out.

Akula, I've learned over the years that rankings are great, and recognition is fun, but none of them win you any games. Like Farragut, I don't have the "stars" like the paper defines stars, but I have a great TEAM. 19 guys who buy into what we are about. 19 guys who know that it is going to take a WHOLE lot of hard work and dedication to do what their predecesors have done, but 19 guys who know that their destiny might be totally different.

I was talking to my wife about these rankings last night, and I told her that I was really looking forward to this season, because I am going to focus on just enjoying the journey and not the "destination". Last year was very stressful for me, because we were "expected" to win a lot of games against some great opponents that could have beaten us. I don't want to get lost in the winning and miss a whole lot of opportunities or memories that I might have missed in the previous years.

Now, saying that, I am still going for the "gold". Our goal is to win state, just as it was last season. We just might not be on the top of anyone's list or ranking, and we might not have a name that you "absolutely, positvely, no-questions-asked ought to know". But humility builds character. That's good enough for me.

If i recall BigG the first CAK team that won state was not predicted to win it that year. That was a great TEAM. I do love to be able to read articles about knoxville soccer. It's about time soccer gets the publicity that it deserves. What's even more amazing is i see more players playing at the next level and quite a few in the D-I ranks.

G, I can only speak for myself, but I think that is the best way to look at things. The journey is alot of fun.I haven't coached a team to a state championship, but I like to think of some of the relationships and memories are just as rewarding. Heck, I get choked up watching the kids graduate and reflecting on the 4 years I've spent with them. I think coaches sometimes do focus on the winning too much, and that is how we are all judged from the outside, but I really enjoy seeing the players grow and change and I know they've had a huge influence on me. Wouldn't trade a championship for any of that. Good luck this season, G. Hopefully we can meet up a game later than the past 2 years.

G, I can only speak for myself, but I think that is the best way to look at things. The journey is alot of fun.I haven't coached a team to a state championship, but I like to think of some of the relationships and memories are just as rewarding. Heck, I get choked up watching the kids graduate and reflecting on the 4 years I've spent with them. I think coaches sometimes do focus on the winning too much, and that is how we are all judged from the outside, but I really enjoy seeing the players grow and change and I know they've had a huge influence on me. Wouldn't trade a championship for any of that. Good luck this season, G. Hopefully we can meet up a game later than the past 2 years.

I'd take a championship over the relationships any day of the week. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

I'd take a championship over the relationships any day of the week. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

That's just it. I think people don't realize that it is through the relationships that you can win those championships. Yes, you must have talent and usually a fair amount of good old fashioned luck, but when you have a team that gives their all for their coach, their team mates and their school because you have spent the time to foster relationships with them, you can win games that on paper you should have lost.

Call it cheezy, hokey, whatever... it's just my opinion. I spend more time on building a team off the field than skills on the field.

That's just it. I think people don't realize that it is through the relationships that you can win those championships. Yes, you must have talent and usually a fair amount of good old fashioned luck, but when you have a team that gives their all for their coach, their team mates and their school because you have spent the time to foster relationships with them, you can win games that on paper you should have lost.

Call it cheezy, hokey, whatever... it's just my opinion. I spend more time on building a team off the field than skills on the field.

I was just cracking a joke. I agree that the relationships a coach builds with his/her players are very important. Akula and I have corresponded, and he knows that I was just messing around.

I was just cracking a joke. I agree that the relationships a coach builds with his/her players are very important. Akula and I have corresponded, and he knows that I was just messing around.

Since you won't let me know who you are, I can't tell if you are joking or not!!! I figured you were, but wasn't sure.

Don't you dare tell me that Akula knows who you are, and the rest of us don't!

Since you won't let me know who you are, I can't tell if you are joking or not!!! I figured you were, but wasn't sure.

Don't you dare tell me that Akula knows who you are, and the rest of us don't!

Nah, he has no clue...despite the fact that we have talked on several occasions. He "big times" me whenever we shake hands. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> Only a few players on my girls team know. Really was just joking about the relationship thing...hope no one took it too seriously.

hope no one took it too seriously.

You mean people take these posts seriously? The next thing you are going to tell me is that people get upset with MJUHB's rankings. Come on! Quit joking around.

Taking my tongue out of my cheek, I wasn't really sure if you were or not. Some people are more about winning than anything else. In our PM's, I didn't think you were like that, but it's hard to read a lot into a post.

Nah, he has no clue...despite the fact that we have talked on several occasions. He "big times" me whenever we shake hands. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> Only a few players on my girls team know. Really was just joking about the relationship thing...hope no one took it too seriously.

WHAT!!?? We've met on several occassions. This will drive me nuts now. And I thought the only big timing i'm doing now a days is around the mid section. And you coach girls. I wonder if you are just messing with all our heads and sending us some misinformation now. hmmmmmmmmm /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

PrepXtra Preview: Soccer

Sunday, March 9, 2008

Between the two of them, Farragut and Bearden have won six of the last seven Class AAA state soccer championships. Christian Academy of Knoxville, meanwhile, has won five consecutive Class A/AA championships. Will Knoxville dominate again in 2008?

Top 10 Teams

1 Farragut: Coach Wallie Culbreth has no superstars on the team, but that could turn out to be a good thing for the defending Class AAA state champions. The Admirals return six starters from last year's 19-3-4 team and are a strong, cohesive unit with plenty of depth and a winning aura about them. Their top ranking over Bearden is as close as the final score (5-4) of the 2007 state championship game.

2 Bearden: The Bulldogs don't always play the prettiest style of soccer you'll ever see, but coach Eric Turner always delivers results and will rely heavily on senior forwards and East Tennessee State signees Aaron Schoenfeld and Tom Webster. Bearden beat Farragut twice in 2007, including the Region 2-AAA championship game, and finished the year with a record of 26-3.

3 West: It's hard not to feel at least a little sorry for the Rebels. They'd rule the District 4-AAA roost if it weren't for Farragut and Bearden. If West makes it to the state tournament this year, it means either No. 1 Farragut or No. 2 Bearden did not. Eight starters return from last year, including ETSU signee Nathaniel McElroy and Memphis signee Cody McCoy.

4 Catholic: The Irish return nine starters from last year's 19-4-2 team, including five on defense, which should be the strength of this year's team, especially with Joey Derosa defending the goal. Catholic advanced to the quarterfinals of the Class A/AA state tournament last year but was eliminated on penalty kicks.

5 Oak Ridge: The Wildcats return nine starters from 2007. In past years Oak Ridge has tended to play more as a group of individuals instead of as a team. Look for that to change this year. Goalkeeping is a huge strength, with 6-foot-5 Ryan Wilson and 6-4 Joe Daniels-Mulholland expected to share time defending the net.

6 Maryville: Returning for the Rebels from last year's 11-7-1 team are senior midfielders Ridge Carter, Oscar Sanchez and Graham Gilley, senior forward David Large and junior defender Ryan Pugh.

7 CAK: The Warriors have won five consecutive Class A/AA state championships. Don't pencil them in for a sixth just yet. With five starters and just two seniors returning from last year's 18-4-3 team, it's a rebuilding year. Don't expect coach Tom Gerlach to shun the underdog role. Actually, it could work to his advantage.

8 Webb: The Spartans return four starters and have a lot of young players who are going to have to find roles as the season progresses. They have some guys with playing experience but not leadership experience. A leader must emerge for Webb, which was eliminated from the Division II state semifinals with a 1-0 loss in 2007 to end a 8-5-2 season.

9 Alcoa: Five starters return for the Tornadoes, which will focus much of their efforts on the defensive side and benefit from first-year starter Adrian Womac, a junior, as their goalkeeper. Alcoa beat Seymour in last year's District 3-A/AA championship match but lost 10 seniors from that team.

10 Seymour: The Eagles finished second last year in District 3-A/AA to Alcoa and return six starters to play for first-year coach Bobby Norwood. Defense is a strength and the offense is much improved from the last couple of years.

Watch Out For: Lenoir City, Karns, Sevier County.

Players To Watch

Here are 10 names you absolutely, positively, no-questions-asked ought to know.

1. Tom Webster, Bearden, senior: The ETSU signee was the 2007 Gatorade Player of the Year in Tennessee and NSCAA All-American. Last year he scored 18 goals and dished out 11 assists.

2. Mark Sherrod, Carter, junior: One of the state's best strikers, he scored 30 goals and had 11 assists as a sophomore for the Hornets.

3. Cody McCoy, West, senior: The Memphis signee missed seven games with a hip injury in 2007 but still scored 16 goals and had nine assists.

4. Aaron Schoenfeld. Bearden, senior: The forward and ETSU signee scored 16 goals, nine of those game-winning goals, and had 16 assists as a junior.

5. Alex Hutchins, Webb, junior: An attacking midfielder/forward, he has the ability to create shots and make them from 25 to 30 yards out by freezing goalkeepers. He's quite, unassuming, unselfish and confident.

6. Tyler Mottern, Farragut, senior: He plays both way for the Admirals as a defender and a forward. He's a big, physical player, a good field leader and can score goals off headers.

7. Ryan Wilson, Oak Ridge, junior: The goalkeeper gave up 19 goals and had 109 saves as a sophomore. At 6-foot-5, it's hard to sneak one past him.

8. Nathaniel McElroy, West, senior: The midfielder and ETSU signee had two goals and 10 assists as a junior. He's a very skillful, very quick player.

9. Joseph Muth, Farragut, senior: He's a formidable foe on defense. He earned all-district and all-region honors as a junior. It'll take a great offensive player to get past him.

10. Joey Derosa, Catholic, senior: The goalkeeper had 66 saves and gave up 12 goals as a junior for the Irish.

The Rest

These guys didn't crack the top-10 list, but they are some of the best players around. Commit their names to memory: Jake Holt (Farragut), Brian Beckham (Catholic), Sam Thompson (Alcoa), Joe-Daniels-Mulholland (Oak Ridge), Derrick Brotus (Alcoa), Andrew Moser (Farragut), Carolos Lopez (Seymour), Diego Del-Castillo (Oak Ridge), Taylor Grim (Oak Ridge), Grant Beeler (King's Academy), Sam Ndurumo (King's Academy), Enzo Urquilla (Lenoir City), Aaron Thomas (Lenoir City), Oscar Castro (Lenoir City), Doiron Cloners (Harriman), Will Watkins (McMinn Central), Paul Lee (Webb), Ridge Carter (Maryville), Steven Fox (Sevier County), Tanner Thompson (West).

- Brad Gaskins

So here it is boys

When i saw Tyler Modern's name on the top 10 players to watch out for, i giggled.