A Simple Plan

CoachT

EGO... We do agree on one thing... the COWBOYS! I grew up just down the road from Dallas and I have been a life long Cowboy fan. Of course, I remember the days when Dandy Don played QB, and as a kid I went to the games to see Roger throw the ball!

The main reason football will never be shut out is because it is the largest money maker of all the college and high school sports. I don't really care about swimming teams, but that is just me. The last two schools I worked at always took money from the football budget and gave it to women's sports ($1500-3500 a year) and we just learned to live with it! We also allowed women to join the team even though we did have a volleyball team (none of them lasted through the end of the summer). Girl's Soccer (in the larger schools) takes away the better kickers, so that rules out a few who would kick (like the girl from Dickson County a counple of years ago). You must look at what TITLE IX has done for women's sports. You take the good with the bad, but to say it is bad because some men have been forced to live without a few dollars... well the ladies have a saying for you. I was lucky to have two healthy boys, but if I had two daughters, I would have wanted them to enjoy athletics just like my boys! I believe in equity! Osama Bin Laden would not like TITLE IX, but of course he pours gas on women and sets them on fire. In public education, we educate the wealthy and the poor. We don't turn away those with special needs, and we try to make sure everyone gets a chance to participate in sports. It is not always just about winning! Sometimes it is about being there!

[Edited by ELA on 7/19/02 9:14A]

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

haha, under normal circumstances, I would be mad that you changed the subject, but not about this...Does the Knoxville area show the Cowboys on TV? In memphis the cowboys were huge, many cowboys clubs are here and meet at bars on sundays, but with the emergence of the Rams and the Titans and the cowboys downfall...that has died down.

Cowboys have Kevin Hardy, LaRoi Glover, Bryant Westbrook...3 new starters right there. Carter's last 4 or 5 games were very impressive including wins over the Redskins, and 49ers.

I'm in between Knoxville and Nashville so we never see any Cowboy games unless they are on Monday night or they play the Titans! My 18 year old son keeps up with all of the Cowboy news through THE DALLAS MORNING NEWS website. I think this may be their year for a big comeback. Coaching high school ball prevents me from watching much (if any) ball games on Sunday, but if there is a Cowboys game scheduled, I will make room for it in my schedule!

Ego, Knoxville's CBS affiliate force feeds us the Titans all the time. Our FOX affiliate seems to prefer Atlanta, although they do a much better job of showing a diversity of teams. We do get rivalry games a lot for the late games when they show double-headers, though. And FOX most definitely will show the Colts if their game is a FOX game that week.

I personally hate the Titans, but even if I didn't, I wouldn't want to have to watch the Bengals and Browns four times a year just to see them.

Atlanta? Good golly, thats horrible...I believe you can be a season ticket holder to see the falcons now for 100 dollars or something like that, small price to pay to see Vick and Dunn.

HBO will be doing "Hard Knocks" which is a documentary on NFL training camps...America's team was picked this year, I believe a new episode airs every week or two weeks starting with July 31st...just in case anyone is interested.