A Simple Plan

CoachT

(1) Use a 1.5 multiplier for privates.

(2) If a private school qualifies for 2A, for example, but wants to stay in 1A they give up their playoff eligibility. They could then stay in the region they are in and be assured of a schedule.

(3) Any private that prefers could move to Division II.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CoachT...It is a simple plan if you are a public school. The multiplier in inheritantly unfair. It may move teams up that shouldn`t be and on the other hand may not move other teams up far enough. Especially not fair about this idea is the fact that if a school is forced to move up in a class that they shouldn`t be in, they would have to relinquish any chance they might have to make the playoffs to stay where they should be in the first place.

By my count there would still be at least four schools that would remain in 1A even with a multiplier. So as soon as any of those teams won we would be hearing all of this all over again.

I think it would be easier to just change the enrollment sizes per classification. Instead of 1A being 361 and under, make it 250 and under and decrease the playoff qualifiers.

2A-599 and under

3A-899 and under

4A-1199 and under

5A-1200 and up.

Setting the enrollment size that small in 1A would eliminate most of the private schools, and make 1A a truly small rural school division

For two years, private school supporters have been telling those of us who support small public schools to stop crying and work harder. Now when the shoe is on the other foot, look who is using the words, "It's not fair?" Volunteer, i'm not trying to single you out, because you are not the only one who has made statements like that in the past, but when private schools have the edge, it is okay, but if we try to fix the problem, then you guys start crying, "It's unfair?" Everyone (including most every private school supporter I know) admits there are advantages that private schools have over public schools (in education and athletics)! Otherwise, why would anyone shell out the dough to send their kids to one? All we are asking for is a multiplier (as is used in other states) to create a simple answer to the problem. Are you saying CPA, EZELL, and USJ won't be able to compete at the 2A level? My answer would be, "You've got to simply work a little harder." Sorry, I couldn't resist!

COACHT... I like your plan. It is simple and solves one of the main problems; however, I still think we have another problem with the growing number of schools in our state and unless we find a way to eliminate regions, we will continue to have these 10 team regions, unless they add another class for the non-financial aid schools.

Awwwww....that was cute ELA. If you really do think that things are unfair now, then why would you want to replace it with another unfair system? Can you honestly say that a multiplier is a fair system? I mean when you arbitrarily pick a number to use and apply it to all private schools without regard to how good they are....is that what you call a fair way to resolve it? I being very serious ELA. Do you really think that is fair?

LOL!!! ELA about private schools having to work harder. Let me explain to you what will happen. Your multiplier will push 1A privates into 2A and they will win some championships there and all this whining and bickering will start all over again. If a multiplier happens will you be satisfied????

Why can`t we just come up with some sort of merit system that fine tunes our current system? Is there anything unfair about that?

My understanding of your merit based system may be wrong, but here it goes:

A merit based plan forces kids to live up to what past teams did.

Any school, public or private, can have one or two magnificant seasons and then go back to the cellar. Ezell-Harding could be a prim example. They haven't done squat until '01. If they are bumped up on "merit" and go back to their losing ways, what have you accomplished? Are kids that play for a school 15 years after the fact going to be held to the same standard as those whom preceded them?

I feel my senior season was a successful one. We made the playoffs and won a playoff game. But compared to the '92 Gallatin team, we weren't very good.

To me, what you are suggesting is the kind of thing people talk about in sports bars. " Hey could the '27 Yankees have beaten the '98 Yankees?" What is the answer to these questions? Who gives a crap?!

So if you want a merit based system it should go both ways.

Now that would be hard to keep track of if you're the TSSAA

just1np...Winning a state championship wouldn`t automatically move a team up, but I provided a system whereby teams that have accumulated enough merit points would lose them and move back down should they not fare well at a higher level. As I`ve said before...the numbers that I used are arbitrary and probably needs to be looked at closer, but I think the concept is a fair one.

• 2 weeks later...

CoachT, I respect you, and your opinions, you are the most fair individual I know on this site...Could you please tell me if you have ever coached at Private school? And if so when? And for how long, and what sports and or records? I know you said you coached against BGA and BA, I was just wondering, I won't use it against you or anything.

To put a number on a team is inherently unfair...That's like putting a quota on Title IX or Affirmative action, I am a minority and I am against both of those, even if I would be able to draw compensation from it.

Why don't we put a number on teams that have a bigger budget then most schools? Ahhh that doesn't mean the school is good does it? Same with a private school, once again 3 titles in 10 years, look at it, learn it, and love that fact public school supporters...I also used the 46-0 trouncing of Trousdale Co. at the hands of Clarskville Academy that no one commented on.

CoachT...are you suggesting this, because there is a problem? Or are you suggesting this just to have an answer? I guess I am asking, do you think there should be a change, or you just suggesting a change like VolGen is doing?

ELA...your point about "working harder" doesn't hold up, because privates would be playing schools that are bigger...not their same population, thats like saying a militia should destroy a legion if it works harder.

That's like saying Bread Company X must work just as hard and produce as much bread as Bread Company Y even though X is smaller than Y...X is a private firm so their companies workers are from the entire city as opposed to Y who is larger and has one area...X also has to pay for their own supplies (just like a private would have to because they don't have a state budget)?

Aside from the Bread company example, which is just a joke...ELA chose not to answer the question about athletes on the Red Boiling thread.

Therefore we can assume he doesn't care, doesn't have an answer, or tried to relay the message to us telepathically.

When you guys start answering my questions and comments, I will try and and understand how you can justify putting numbers on teams because they are not tied to the state budget and have to come up with their own resources...I am still laughing at the fact that ELA said he would get fired if he tried to raise money for his football team...I didn't know that lift a thons, car washes, bake sales, and walk a thons or just plain donations were illegal in the state of TN, but I have a lot of growing up to do.

I am just suggesting a compromise in a form that I think, after looking at all the options, would seem to me to be the most "doable". That doesn't even mean it is a plan that needs to be implemented or one that I would even support at that time, depending on the circumstances at that point. If there are measures taken, at some time in the future, then this is one of the options available.

Also, to answer your first question- no, I have never coached at a private school but have coached against some while at a public school.

[Edited by coacht on 7-17-02 8:26P]