Knox Halls

coachtinsider

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HHSREMEMBERTHENAME:

TO answer your question, I was very suprised by wingback 33 Stansberry. I didn't see his performance coming. I thought our O-Line was fairly week. Especially our center, but he'll have time to grow

I thought the o-line did decent in "pass-pro". Dowdy had plenty of time to throw the football in most cases.

HHSREMEMBERTHENAME:

TO answer your question, I was very suprised by wingback 33 Stansberry. I didn't see his performance coming. I thought our O-Line was fairly week. Especially our center, but he'll have time to grow

That center was #55 Josh Raby. I didn't pay too good of attention when he was on offense, but he did impress me on D. He stayed at home on a couple of reverse type plays and then proceeded to wrap up and take them down. He had several solo tackles as well. I didn't notice too many missed tackles overall by the D, except that one long run where we had them stopped up, and a sack that we let go about 6 yards deep and finally stopped him about 1 or 2 yards deep.

That center was #55 Josh Raby. I didn't pay too good of attention when he was on offense, but he did impress me on D. He stayed at home on a couple of reverse type plays and then proceeded to wrap up and take them down. He had several solo tackles as well. I didn't notice too many missed tackles overall by the D, except that one long run where we had them stopped up, and a sack that we let go about 6 yards deep and finally stopped him about 1 or 2 yards deep.

Agreed on all.

I believe most of our missed tackles, as sporadic as they were, came fairly late. Either when our "ones" were getting pretty darn tired and fresh offensive guys got rotated in against tired defenders (I saw this happen twice late in the scrimmage), or, in a case or two, where we put in fresh "twos" who were simply outmatched by their "ones".

That said, those kind of things happen in games too. It's all part of game management and being "deeper" than your opponent. The scrimmage, from that perspective will give our coaches an idea how deep we are and how much substituting we'll need to do this fall. I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir, but most football afficionados know that 4 out of 5 times, the team that wins the 4th quarter wins the ballagame. I like our depth.

Both offensive lines got away with a LOT of holding with the sparse officiating a scrimmage allows for. This contributed to their offense getting a few corners on run plays IMO. Despite this fact, I want to see our boys get better at shedding blocks.

Injury Update with #50 Shaddox does not have to have surgery for pins to be put in his broken arm.

Thanks for the update. I talked to Zack yesterday and his attitude remains great. He told me he wanted to pad up over the cast and get back out there.

What a well grounded young man.

The fact that he's out there watching with his cast on tells me a lot. He wants to be out there. Depending on how his arm heals and how "momma" feels will be the only possible drawbacks to his return.

By the way, I'm not inferring anythying by mentioning "momma". She a very nice lady and whatever a family decides, they decide. I just happen to know that my own wife would have a LOT of say so, if something like this were to occur in my family and rightfully so.

My gut tells me he'll be back playing in the fall from talking to him.

# 45 continues to look very good at TE. I kinda wish we could have seen some of the guys who are presently playing baseball work out with the team this Spring, but in another respect, I'm glad we didn't. It'll leave a few surprises for August. It also gave the coaches an opportunity to look at our team depth in a way they would not have been able to otherwise.

Overall, we couldn't be in much better shape headed into Summer IMO.

Last practice before the Red & White game is today.

Meet y'all on the High Ground...

Pirateman894 -

- Did you see the ones vs. ones on Friday?? You make the comment that the O'line looked weak, but we averaged over 4 yards per carry (95 yds on 23 carries). Also consider this average when the longest run was 15 yards.

- #33 Stansberry made his runs against the two's and three's. Maybe these were the O'lineman you are referring to. #55 Raby had an outstanding srimmage, both on offense and defense. Again, maybe you refer to the backup center, who will get better with time. Raby will be a big asset to this team.

- Also, both starting tackles were out(Hill and McFalls) and backup Shaddox got hurt early. Still, I thought the O'line was the bright spot on Offense. Kitts would have had over 100 yards in this scrimmage.

- #32 Hodge had the best night for the running backs - 48 yards on 8 carries. As the game wore on, he got stronger.

Pirateman894 -

- Did you see the ones vs. ones on Friday?? You make the comment that the O'line looked weak, but we averaged over 4 yards per carry (95 yds on 23 carries). Also consider this average when the longest run was 15 yards.

- #33 Stansberry made his runs against the two's and three's. Maybe these were the O'lineman you are referring to. #55 Raby had an outstanding srimmage, both on offense and defense. Again, maybe you refer to the backup center, who will get better with time. Raby will be a big asset to this team.

- Also, both starting tackles were out(Hill and McFalls) and backup Shaddox got hurt early. Still, I thought the O'line was the bright spot on Offense. Kitts would have had over 100 yards in this scrimmage.

- #32 Hodge had the best night for the running backs - 48 yards on 8 carries. As the game wore on, he got stronger.

Agreed on all.

There were lot of bright spots...

Depth

Blocking

Overall physicality

Conditioning (for this time of year)

Some areas that stand room for improvement...

Wrapping up on tackles

Defenders shedding blocks

The deep threat

Agreed on all.

There were lot of bright spots...

Depth

Blocking

Overall physicality

Conditioning (for this time of year)

Some areas that stand room for improvement...

Wrapping up on tackles

Defenders shedding blocks

The deep threat

Well, the most likely deep threat is swinging the bat right now. I hope all the dinged up guys get to healing before the fall rolls around!