Mitchell vs Fulton

yankees8589

Again how would you feel or react if someone is taking away something you have worked all year for....

It is not a question in how I or anyone else would react or feel. It is a question of standards and in this case the standard of sportsmanship. Those are in place and have a high level of emphasis, at least in theory. We've seen or read it all from this year's state tournament. One-sided officiating, clock errors, a coach chasing and shouting at officials, things thrown on the floor, player losing his composure, etc. Like it or not it takes away from all the good that goes on.

By becoming a member of the TSSAA each school - administrators, coaches, players, and even fans are agreeing to uphold the standards of the TSSAA. The TSSAA has standards of sportsmanship. Part of what should happen is what will adminstrators and TSSAA do for those who violated these standards of sportsmanship on the biggest stage of the year. The right kind of penalties would help elimiminate these types of behaviors. Yet standards need to be clear and consequences need to be clear. Yes, it would be nice if TSSAA would take responsibility as well for mistakes, holding officials accountable, etc. That should be part of this process. It will still need to be kept in perspective. If professional sports and major college athletics and their officials need the help of replay, we shouldn't expect too much of the high school game that does not have this luxury. Yet we can still expect sportsmanship of those involved in the high school game.

Sports does provide opportunities to build character, but it also has a way of revealing the current level of character. It is up to true leaders to move it in the right direction. That won't happen if all is offered is either excuses or maybe just as bad, silence from those in charge. This year's tournament provides a chance to make changes that are clearly needed.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is not a question in how I or anyone else would react or feel. It is a question of standards and in this case the standard of sportsmanship. Those are in place and have a high level of emphasis, at least in theory. We've seen or read it all from this year's state tournament. One-sided officiating, clock errors, a coach chasing and shouting at officials, things thrown on the floor, player losing his composure, etc. Like it or not it takes away from all the good that goes on.

By becoming a member of the TSSAA each school - administrators, coaches, players, and even fans are agreeing to uphold the standards of the TSSAA. The TSSAA has standards of sportsmanship. Part of what should happen is what will adminstrators and TSSAA do for those who violated these standards of sportsmanship on the biggest stage of the year. The right kind of penalties would help elimiminate these types of behaviors. Yet standards need to be clear and consequences need to be clear. Yes, it would be nice if TSSAA would take responsibility as well for mistakes, holding officials accountable, etc. That should be part of this process. It will still need to be kept in perspective. If professional sports and major college athletics and their officials need the help of replay, we shouldn't expect too much of the high school game that does not have this luxury. Yet we can still expect sportsmanship of those involved in the high school game.

Sports does provide opportunities to build character, but it also has a way of revealing the current level of character. It is up to true leaders to move it in the right direction. That won't happen if all is offered is either excuses or maybe just as bad, silence from those in charge. This year's tournament provides a chance to make changes that are clearly needed.

Emotions were running high man. You can't expect kids to take that kind of horrible call (the charge) and just sit down quietly and deal with it. Torry and everyone else in the gym knew he was getting hosed all night long and that the charge call was awful. I never blame officials for games, but this one was just way to obvious.

Emotions were running high man. You can't expect kids to take that kind of horrible call (the charge) and just sit down quietly and deal with it. Torry and everyone else in the gym knew he was getting hosed all night long and that the charge call was awful. I never blame officials for games, but this one was just way to obvious.

If that was the worst call you have ever seen like you said in an earlier post then you have had it good. That call was bad, but I guarantee you if it was a charge Torry would have done the exact same thing. Like someone said in an earlier post he looked like he wanted to wring someones neck after every call against him...

Why can't it be expected? This is the problem. There are no standards or expectations for sportsmanship. What good will come out of anyone in this tournament who felt justified to act when emotions ran high? Only brings about intense scrutiny and in this media age that is not good for anyone to leave those kinds of lasting images.

Apparently you didn't notice just how bad that charge call was. On the other hand, people needs to lay off of Torry he is just a kid and it was the state championships so the emothions were running high.

I did notice and it was in my first post on the subject. I will put a ton of money that Torry didnt notice if the kids feet were set though. He would have done the same thing no matter what. You say he is just a kid, but he is about to graduate and go into the real world! What do you not understand about this??? Please, you dont have a case for him. Did you see any of the other kids go in the tunnel lay on there stomach and kick there feet and punch the ground when they fouled out??? NO!!! They went over sat in the middle of the bench and cheered there team on thinking there was still a chance! That is all that should have been done! DEAL WITH IT!

Apparently you didn't notice just how bad that charge call was. On the other hand, people needs to lay off of Torry he is just a kid and it was the state championships so the emothions were running high.

I'm all about emotion, but that kid embarassed himself on TV last night. I've never seen anybody act that way before during a game and it should be embarassing for the Mitchell faithful. It was a questionable call, no doubt, but he was entirely out of hand, all night. After every call he was ranting around like a big baby.

Blaming losses on officials is the oldest one in the book. Mitchell had their chances, there were bad calls both ways, but that's basketball. I'm glad for Jody. He's been at Fulton for a long time and that gold ball always eluded him until this season. Now Fulton is State Champs in roundball. Vic Smith has to be estatic. It's hard enough to win a ring in one sport, but he now has one in football and basketball.

I did notice and it was in my first post on the subject. I will put a ton of money that Torry didnt notice if the kids feet were set though. He would have done the same thing no matter what. You say he is just a kid, but he is about to graduate and go into the real world! What do you not understand about this??? Please, you dont have a case for him. Did you see any of the other kids go in the tunnel lay on there stomach and kick there feet and punch the ground when they fouled out??? NO!!! They went over sat in the middle of the bench and cheered there team on thinking there was still a chance! That is all that should have been done! DEAL WITH IT!

You should also deal with opinions, and stop erasing posts. That is very childish. are you an adult or child?

Sure you can, in fact you should expect it! ok, I`m not harping on the DC/CPA game, it`s over and done with, but if you were at that game, you saw the worst officiating I`ve ever seen, ever. They called bogus charges and blocks on DC all night while CPA was walking with the ball to go along with it, then with 15 seconds left the clock thing happened and thru all that you never saw one player from either team come remotely close to acting like he did. Folks, Ive got news for ya, these are not typical kids at this point, they`re young men who have worked and trained their bodies and minds to do a job. Making excuses for this guy only adds to the prob. Case and point, I met 2 officials from North Carilina and a scout from Ill. and what they had to say proves my point. One of the refs from NC said he would never made it that far because of missed fouls and should have been "T`d" up for his actions twice after he went out of the game. The scout didn`t say he was there to see Torry, but did say he would never make it. His words were,"big attitude".

I didn`t get in til late last night and may have missed an earlier thread on this subject but I want to say that the Mitchell coach earned my respect Fri against Howard by sitting Torry on the bench. IMO, he proved to everyone right there it was all about him. Yes 48 pts. is very impressive, but that was anything but a team effort on his part. I could score 48 pts too if I didn`t play any "D" and just stood at half court waiting for someone to throw me the ball. Good move coach.

Hosed all night? Did you have dreams about this last night and wake up angry... again? You are obviously loyal to your school and that is great, but the more you defend him, the more you're saying this is acceptable to be classless with no integrity for the game.... unless it's for a championship. I don't know if he's 17 or 18.... but how old will Torry need to be before it's OK to hold him accountable for his actions. You pamper & protect him like a middle school child, But he's an adult with a Scholarship getting ready to move 500+ miles away from home. Emotions do run high in sports. That can cause them to slip and use vulgar language or say something they wish they could take back. I thought he acted like a pampered child who realized he didn't get the bike he wanted for Christmas. Tantrum and all. Of course the most revealing thing to me was how the rest of the team responded with their body language. Almost as if they said "Here we go again." Most of them turned their back with some occasionally looking over their shoulder to see what he was doing next. No one looked shocked or surprised, just embarrassed. Losing your temper is one thing, but causing a scene over a 10 minute duration, being restrained by a coach, and not accepting recognition of all tournament team is beyond having a weak moment. That's called having issues.

So does age 19 sound OK to expect him to act his age and hold him accountable for his actions? The best medicine for him would be to read the blogs, read the newspaper articles, and watch the game again. This is truly a crossroad for him. Hopefully it will make him look in the mirror and take control or get help. It wont be long before his immaturity and anger defines him & his future. He will be known as that great athlete with a little star & footnote by his name reading "great athlete with a lot of baggage. My question to him would be will we here about his success in Texas or will read more about what he did in as they say an " off-the-field incident".

To the rest of the Mitchel team..... You were awsome. Talented enough to be the State Champions and took the defeat with good sportsmanship and integrity.