Mitchell vs Fulton

yankees8589

Again how would you feel or react if someone is taking away something you have worked all year for. If you have never been in a situation where people are not being fair with you and judging you for your quality of work. Those kids at Mitchell and Fulton deserved to play in a game where the winner is determined by the kids on the floor and unbias refs. Right is Right and you as a 19 year old should demand right. I am not saying what the kid did was right rather he is 18 or 28 he is still an emotional human. Sometimes our emotions get the best of us. Hay someone thought he was deserving of a scholarship.

I have been attending high school state championships in baseball, basketball and football for 30+ years now, in two different states. My youngest son played on two high school baseball teams that made it to the state tournament and lost. My oldest son played on a state-championship football team so our family have witnessed it from both ends of the spectrum. When I was in high school our girls basketball team made it to the state championship game and lost.

In all my years, I have NEVER witnessed what I witnessed tonight. No one has even commented about how, later in the game, in the closing minutes, he came on to the court for some reason, or that he didn't even come out to accept his all-tournament award.

I have seen thousands of kids, for years and years, handle losing in a class manner, including all the players tonight except one. Perhaps he should have used the example of two of his teammates, #24 and #22 - they came out to receive their all-tournament award, #24 on one good leg. And #24 never layed on the ground after missing a shot while the other 9 players headed down court...

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am going to say I disagree with most of your comments, and I am from Memphis. I have not seen the play yet, but will go back and look at it since I recorded all these games. But as coaches we have to teach our players to maintain their composure in the face of challenges, even when we are wronged. The referees are the authorities on the floor, so they should be respected at all time, no matter how bad a call is that they make or do not make. After the game it is our responsibility to report the evidence of the mistake and hope the powers that be work to correct them. each association selects the officials that are sent, and Memphis itself did a poor job sending their best. I believe every referee is human, and they make mistakes, some more than others, but we should teach our kids to believe those in authority are going to do their best to do things right. We should not tell them it is okay to react however when they feel wrong. If a police officer pulls you over for speeding, should you just go off on him or her if you think they made a mistake. Would you treat your mom that way if she was wrong.

I believe continuing to make excuses instead of making people wrong for their actions is wrong. That goes for players, coaches, and referees. Unless we want to continue to see the fights we have in Memphis at basketball games, not to mention school, we have to make players stay in check.

If you read my post, I never gave an excuse for his action. Being a Memphian, I was at a game once and saw him start a riot at Oakhaven. But my comment was "how would you react if you felt someone was unjustly taking away something that you have work hard to accomplish. Also Torry is a Senior and had been in the same state for the last three years, I will never try and justify his actions but who am I to say I would not have done the same. Being an educated person I will hope that I will not. To answer your question, being the person I am, I have been unjustly pulled over by the police for doing nothing but driving in a new truck at a young age and it was not until the officer realized that I ranked higher than he in the MPD world that he backed down. And for the mom comment, MY MOTHER IS NEVER WRONG.

I disagree with you on the point that we should not teach our kids to react when they feel they are wrong. I refuse to allow my child to be passive if he is wronged he has the right to voice his opinion, just like you have a right to post to this board. However, it is the way people react is the problem. I wonder how many of you will contact the TSSAA on how the officials did in these Championships. Questioning authority is how change is made, but it should be done in the proper manner. Yea the boy was wrong for his reaction but I refuse to say he was not justified for being emotional.

I think the kid was wrong and embarrassed alot of people with his actions and it took away from the tournament that he was having up to that point. I wish the kid well in his future and I hope that he gets a grip on that attitude because it could get him in trouble.

I agree sportsmanship should be tought and should be pat of any program, however, why should a person always have to be the bigger person when they are wronged. Torry is a hot head kid, but he is a kid. The game should be fair and should be played out where the best team should win. For those of you who keep making the jokes about the kids in Memphis really need to check yourself. These are kids and they deserve fair teatment. Then they should protest when they are not being treated fair. Grown folks should demand that they be treated fairly. Yea it is easy to say how you would act if you feel you where wronged but really how would you feel if someone is taking someting from you that you have worked so hard for. It is amazing how people on this site are so quick to say Memphis coaches cant coach or players cant play but why is there always come issues when we play.

It is easy for people to try and put this kid down and even the Mitchell team but how about someone standing up for what is right. Man to not think this game was fair is fooling yourself.

Amen. I was pulling for Mitchell, but Torry did act terrible and let his team down by his attitude. I want anyone saying all of this crap about all the kids from Memphis to check themselves. The rest of the Mitchell team team acted absolutely fine and shouldn't be criticized. Ken Torry is a very talented young man, but will have to mature to ever become a good college player. Torry should have checked himself (I agree the call on the 5th foul stunk bad, but you can't change it by acting bad.) He chest-bumped his teammates before the game and had his arm around them early in the game. However, when they needed him late in the game he sat on the bench and pouted. He should have quickly realized they needed him and his support and let them know from the bench! They could have won the game, but he only was thinking of himself.

Now two last things, I thought game was called too tight on Mitchell. I saw several questionable calls on Mitchell players. It wasn't a terribly officiated game, but it wasn't even-handed either. Mitchell played a slashing and attacking style of basketball and the charge/blocking calls seemed to go too often against the Mitchell kids. Secondly, congratulations to Fulton. They have a very balanced team who play many phases of the game well. They never gave up and kept it close. When the opening came they took advantage of it.

SND

Jodie and Mitch just flat out coached this Johnson "dude"...someone from the TSSAA needs to conduct a sportsmanship clinic in the Memphis City Schools system. Do they hold their coaches accountable? Oh well nobody cares about Memphis teams anyway.

Why should it be conducted just for Memphis City Schools? I think the whole state could use a sportsmanship clinic; this area needs more emphasis in all athletic contests.

If you read my post, I never gave an excuse for his action. Being a Memphian, I was at a game once and saw him start a riot at Oakhaven. But my comment was "how would you react if you felt someone was unjustly taking away something that you have work hard to accomplish. Also Torry is a Senior and had been in the same state for the last three years, I will never try and justify his actions but who am I to say I would not have done the same. Being an educated person I will hope that I will not. To answer your question, being the person I am, I have been unjustly pulled over by the police for doing nothing but driving in a new truck at a young age and it was not until the officer realized that I ranked higher than he in the MPD world that he backed down. And for the mom comment, MY MOTHER IS NEVER WRONG.

I disagree with you on the point that we should not teach our kids to react when they feel they are wrong. I refuse to allow my child to be passive if he is wronged he has the right to voice his opinion, just like you have a right to post to this board. However, it is the way people react is the problem. I wonder how many of you will contact the TSSAA on how the officials did in these Championships. Questioning authority is how change is made, but it should be done in the proper manner. Yea the boy was wrong for his reaction but I refuse to say he was not justified for being emotional.

I think the kid was wrong and embarrassed alot of people with his actions and it took away from the tournament that he was having up to that point. I wish the kid well in his future and I hope that he gets a grip on that attitude because it could get him in trouble.

I completely agree that officiating has become horrible throughout the state, but considering what they have to put up with, I am not sure why anyone would do it for the money they get after they pay for gas and their time. In my day, a player would not react to what an official does calling the game, that was my head coaches job, and now as a coach, my players better let me handle the referees. They make mistakes, and to me, telling the difference between a block and a charge is the toughest call in the world. I understand being upset, but in life you have to remain calm, and focused on the bigger picture.

Well, I must admit...I didn't think Fulton would beat DC and didn't think they'd beat Mitchell. They beat both of 'em...#50 from Fulton can flat our PLAY!!! A man with that size and that nice of a touch is pretty impressive! I also think that towards the end when it was a 2 point game and Mitchell had the ball and McCasters took it up he was fouled. That was pretty much the ball game right there. It turned out to be one heck of a game despite all the emotions floating around.

The game should be fair and should be played out where the best team should win. For those of you who keep making the jokes about the kids in Memphis really need to check yourself. These are kids and they deserve fair teatment. Then they should protest when they are not being treated fair. Grown folks should demand that they be treated fairly. Yea it is easy to say how you would act if you feel you where wronged but really how would you feel if someone is taking someting from you that you have worked so hard for. It is amazing how people on this site are so quick to say Memphis coaches cant coach or players cant play but why is there always come issues when we play.

It is easy for people to try and put this kid down and even the Mitchell team but how about someone standing up for what is right. Man to not think this game was fair is fooling yourself.

The only consistency in the officiating was the inconsistency. Calls went both ways. I don't remember Mitchel being called for any over the back calls. There was a handful of blocks called on Fulton when there was a charge. How many times was a Fulton person knocked to the ground during the press without a whistle. In the end, if you feel you need to blame the refs on your loss, then that's your choice. Be thankful you didn't get a technical for the Mr wonderful's theatrical exit and another technical for him rushing back onto the court. The lack of Utopian officiating balanced out. Point out any game when the losing team says, "Well.... even-though we lost the game, those officials sure were great!"

Fulton also had 2 key players playing with 4 fouls during the 4th quarter and I believe Mitchel made it to the Charity stripe just as often. Blame your coach for playing him with that much time on the clock when you had a comfortable lead. Rest him, & stick him back in the game to with 2 minutes to go to help seal the victory. You've been bragging about all of the depth on the bench.... use it! To blame your loss on the officiating is a weak argument. You still had a 6 point lead with 4:15 left in the game when Mr tantrum fouled out. Mitchel was a more physical team, a team with more athleticism, and had a tremendous height advantage. Look at the offensive rebounding & second chance points. Mitchel went onan 8-0 run to start the 4th quarter. It was a 7 point game with 4 minutes to go @ 57-65. When Fulton made it's run, Mitchel panicked and lost their composure. Fulton stayed poised & didn't panic. They listened to their coach, stuck to a game plan, and persevered when they faced adversity. They closed out the last 4 minutes with a 14-3 run.

You can blame the refs on a couple of calls if you want.... but you're making excuses to cover the fact that you couldn't stop Fulton when you needed to & you couldn't execute and score when you had to. Look in the mirror before you blame your silver ball on the Refs.

Oh... and the Mitchel's coach's post game comments "I'd rather be lucky than Good"..... Real classy. Comments like that say nothing about their ability to coach on the court, it just showcases their lack of integrity & sportsmanship to the rest of Tennessee as they represent their school & community.

Congratulations Falcons!

To blame the officials for Torry's meltdown is very shortsighted. No one goes balistic because of one perceived injustice. That reaction came from years and years of being pampered and petted. Let's not be fooled into thinking this was the fault of a questionable call.

And to the poster that says, "I wonder how many of you will contact the TSSAA on how the officials did in these Championships," I say that incompetence (at least in your view) does not equal cheating, which is what you seem to imply.

I find myself torn on my feeling toward Coach Johnson of Mitchell. I appreciated his comments condeming Torry's behavior in the paper, yet I believe that he also contributed to it by not nipping it at a much earlier time. I don't know the background but those are my thoughts.

Congrats to Fulton on winning this game. I have NEVER ever seen such horrible officiating though. That charge call on Torry was the worst call that I have ever seen in my life, and I don't look down on him at all for the way he acted. That official deserved to be humiliated because that call changed the game. Mitchell would have won that game was equal calling. Sorry, but its true.

Congrats fulton on a great season.