Results of the Giles County Lifting Competition

norespect

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went to Spring Hill 96-99 was at TN Tech then transfered to LA Valley in CA, now I play semi pro in Nashville.

OSK

Hey Osk,

You animal! When is your little brother going to start adding on the weight? lol /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I will have to disagree with you on this one as well as a few other things. Their is a direct correlation between squats and power cleans. On a power clean, you should begin in a deadlift position and explode upward with the weight ending in a pressing position. The only muscles that are different are those used to flip the weight over at the top. The muscles used to get the weight going are legs and back just like DEEP squats. That brings me to my second point.

I have a video on my cellphone of one of your strongest squatters doing 635. He is nowhere near deep enough to be considered a true squat. One of your starting lineman sent me the video, and when I stated that they needed to get lower, he said that they were instructed to go to around 45 degrees to protect against knee injuries. So basically they are doing half squats, more commonly known as box squats. If they went to 90 degrees which is what they should be doing , you could knock off at least 100 pounds from their max lift or maybe more. The problem I have with this is that the kids are being cheated to build their ego. They would build more usable strength to use a weight that they can handle with correct form. Also, if the coach is worried about knee injuries, why are they under this type of weight without knee wraps.

As far as benching goes, I find it hard to believe that this Jones kid can bench 405 and here is why. You can get on Prepchamps.com and do a search for him. Click on combine footage and you can watch him benching 185 for reps similar to what the pros and colleges do with 225. He gets the weight up and down 18 times but only 13 are legal because his rearend leaves the bench on 4 and the spotter has to help with the last one. For him to bench 405, he would need to rep 225 in the 25 rep range. The combine footage was from July and he would have been playing football for pretty much the rest of the year. I find it hard to believe that they would have continued off season type training during football season so he has probably been doing heavy lifting for around 3 months since the footage. That is not enough time to gain that kind of strength. I am not saying that the kids are not strong but the numbers being thrown around on here are ridiculous especially the squats. For the record, I will be attending workouts next week with a buddy from SP and I will get to see them all lift and draw further conclusions from that.

Well Cheif have you been to the workouts? Is all this stuff true?

Not Chief but I did talk to the strength coach and Chief is somewhat off base. Coach has his own way of doing things and as I said before we are not working to be competitive weight lifters but strong football player which is what we are accomplishing. Headed out to the coaching clinic so I don't have time right now

Hey Osk,

You animal! When is your little brother going to start adding on the weight? lol /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

He gaining a little weight but Ill get him on the OSKI DIET( McDonalds and Krystals)

• 4 weeks later...

Not Chief but I did talk to the strength coach and Chief is somewhat off base. Coach has his own way of doing things and as I said before we are not working to be competitive weight lifters but strong football player which is what we are accomplishing. Headed out to the coaching clinic so I don't have time right now

I am not on here because of the fact that I am a NJ supporter. I am a football fan and am not trying to purposely down SP. This thread started as a powerlifting thread and you posted about how much stronger SP was than the other kids at the meet. My purpose was to say that the form used at a weight meet and the form that you guys are using are not even close. You can't compare apples to oranges. I notice that you did say that I was SOMEWHAT off base and that Hale has his own way of doing things. I will take that as saying that I was partly right too. The problem with what is going on up there is that if you are not using correct form, you are cheating yourself. The blueprint for any particular lift is designed to get maximum results. If you stray from the specified form then you are not going to achieve maximum results. I have watched the squat on my phone several times and he is not low enough. He is not even close to 90 degrees and most lift meets require the hip joint to be below the kneecap which is slightly below parallel. The kid is strong and I never said that he wasn't but to say that he squats 645 is a stretch. I also wanted to say that I did attend workouts. The day that I went they did dumbell flys, bicep curls, military press, and tricep extentions. I was unable to watch them bench, powerclean, or squat but from my knowledge of lifting, I will say that their posted max lifts are incorrect. This conclusion is based on the amount of weight that they used on the lifts that I did witness. I am also basing this on lifting with correct form. Just for the record, David Jones posted max on the max boards was 535 for squats, not 670. Keaton Jones was the strongest at 645 which is the video that I have on my phone.

Kids will be kids. They see someone lift heavy and then 405 becomes 495 or

495 becomes 585???

It's hard to get real powerlifters to go low enough when competing in meets.

That's why there are 3 judges in meets. Most videos are way too high in the squat

and the benches are either aided or bounced. My son watched a video of a classmate

benching 315 @ about 165. What he did not see/notice was the lifters brother curling (helping)

as he spotted. It's really easy to write it on a board @ school. Having it posted on an

lifting associations record book is a little harder!

There are kids who excel @ lifting in high school. I know of many who lifted in meets.

They usually have access to knowledge that most kids and coaches have never seen. They

are also committed to reaching their goals (even if it means they don't party or stay out late).

I have found that school programs are decades behind the lasted advancements in strength

training. I'll use Westside barbell as an example. Louis Simmons studies strength athletes

and powerlifters from all over the world. The he researches and tests his findings for many, many

months before releasing/selling his findings to the lifting world. His researched has enabled his small

gym to produce the worlds strongest powerlifters.

Knowledge is the key to producing what people consider super human athletes. Knowing how to

train, eat, and sleep must be addressed before you can reach your "Natural" potential. Most kids

think they need to spend alot of money @ GNC. These kids are the same kids who sleep only 6-7

hours a day and who eat 2-3 meals and wonder why they are seeing no results. Yes, high school

kids can and will continue to post totals that exceed what is found in most colleges. It takes special

kids who have the desire and knowledge to excel to that level.

Still pretty low power clean numbers for all the other lifts to be so high.Pretty nice I guess. /huh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" />

Nice lifting area on page 2, but where are the safety racks for those heavy squats???

You're right, I don't know much about weight training, but I do know that people that brag about lifting unbelievable amounts are often either lying, or are up to something they shouldn't be up to. I don't know why your numbers are so inflated. But it did make me wonder.

Yes, I know your son is on the team. You've told us often. And I'm sure because of this you would know if there was any wrongdoing. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

Hey Old Pirate,

You should be proud of your football team for winning the 1A State Championship. But those numbers are unbelievable.Those players at SP if they are that strong are stronger than college players. Since SP want play NJ on the field maybe they will consider having a weight competion with them? Remeber NJ was not the one who backed out a few years ago!

Im not real sure on david's numbers But i do know this I havnt seen many one man tackles on him. he usually drags most down the field.. and for some to say thats impossible no one can lift all that... ummmm isnt that the same thing that was said about the speed that spitt had? til u saw it , sounded impossible, but when u did see it most were liek wow... I know this for a fact! Coach hale is the strongest man i have ever seen. and he told me face to face this is the strongest team spitt has ever had! and maybe the strongest in the state period! not to say the fastest! so say all u want too til u do or dont see it for yourself. its believable to me.. .. PS as for spitt backing down from NJ if you knew anything that you were talking about you knew spitt not showing up didnt have anything to do with football.... as for NJ why dont u try getting a team without paying for it? please repost and say you dont pay for players cause then i can repost and tell u who they are and what they were paid over the years! wanna try that? BUT hey i know its hard to have a great team without paying for them and the Coach getting caught with drug's? say that aint so also? So point being made.. get a honost to goodness football team before you start pointing fingers. I am so sick of hearing spitt wont play north jackson because spitt's scared.. Spitt would have crushed nj last year. and past and future.. sorryy folk's i just get so tired of people talking crap when they dont have a clue except picking up a paper sat morning and reading it..NJ has beaten spitt so many time to hear it , funny thing is they havnt ever played and probably wont!!!

Im not real sure on david's numbers But i do know this I havnt seen many one man tackles on him. he usually drags most down the field.. and for some to say thats impossible no one can lift all that... ummmm isnt that the same thing that was said about the speed that spitt had? til u saw it , sounded impossible, but when u did see it most were liek wow... I know this for a fact! Coach hale is the strongest man i have ever seen. and he told me face to face this is the strongest team spitt has ever had! and maybe the strongest in the state period! not to say the fastest! so say all u want too til u do or dont see it for yourself. its believable to me.. .. PS as for spitt backing down from NJ if you knew anything that you were talking about you knew spitt not showing up didnt have anything to do with football.... as for NJ why dont u try getting a team without paying for it? please repost and say you dont pay for players cause then i can repost and tell u who they are and what they were paid over the years! wanna try that? BUT hey i know its hard to have a great team without paying for them and the Coach getting caught with drug's? say that aint so also? So point being made.. get a honost to goodness football team before you start pointing fingers. I am so sick of hearing spitt wont play north jackson because spitt's scared.. Spitt would have crushed nj last year. and past and future.. sorryy folk's i just get so tired of people talking crap when they dont have a clue except picking up a paper sat morning and reading it..NJ has beaten spitt so many time to hear it , funny thing is they havnt ever played and probably wont!!!

Nobody is saying that South Pitt isn't strong, just that they aren't THAT strong.