are we dreaming

pujo

Do private schools have any advantages.I just want some honest answers from the private side.Also if you can think of any,what are the advantages of the public schools.All we want is a equal playing field.I think we will learn alot more if we can do this without all the sarcasm.All I am asking for is the truth from both sides.I've been called stupid on here so many times.I,m starting to get a complex.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I had an AAU basketball team...obviously I would want to draw kids from all areas and not one neighborhood...I completely understand that.

But when I look at teams like...Covington, Trousdale Co. Maryville, DB, Melrose, East, Hillsboro, Whitehaven...who are consistently good, and trounce the private schools...then I start to think about it again.

I honestly didn't know there was a problem until I got on this website, I think some of the people that complain are unhappy that their teams are 3-8 or 0-10...and that's not the private schools fault.

People love to blame others for their misfortunes...

My brothers AAU team is now 0-2 in pool play, they had 7 fouls in the first 6 minutes of the game yesterday, I guess they could blame the referees.

They hit a shot with 2 seconds left that was called back cus of traveling.

The other team hit a controversial shot with no time left.

They have been called for 3 times as many fouls as the other team.

Replays have shown the other team called 7 time outs in regulation...you are only given 5, but the guy who does the clock was on his cell phone for the majority of the time.

Yeah we could blame the refs, that would be the easy thing to do.

But what about the 50% we were shooting from the free throw line.

What about us not coming out ready to play, and getting down real quick and having to play catch up.

What about us having only 2 guys in to rebound on a 1-1 oppurtunity?

People need to look at themselves before they start making accusations, and I am guilty of that as well.

My school lifts weights 4 times a week, and 3 times during the football season. We were supposed to drink protein shakes, run up the bleachers, run sprints at 2 in the afternoon, and drink a gallon of water.

Coincidently, when we started doing that, we started winning...now let's say we extended this to kids woh were in the 7th and 8th grade...the odds are they would be pretty darn good when they became seniors.

Private School Advantages (In General):

1. Selective enrollment (no special ed students, pick and choose who you want from those who apply)

2. No-geographic boundaries to limit student population (a private school can reach out and select someone from any district, region, county, or even state)

3. Work-Study (DI), Financial Aid (DII)

4. Better Athletic facilities than 90% of the small rural public schools (D1)

5. More money for athletic teams (D1)

6. Better school environment off the field (less drug and discipline problems)

7. More support from parents and administration for athletics in general (because it features the school and brings in revenue and new students)

8. 95% of the private schools are located closer to Metro areas (more access to new talent).

9. Not tied to the state budget (in some years, like this one, it is a blessing)

10. No mandated state regulations to follow such as state testing, etc.)

Public School advantages (In General):

1. Better pay for most teacher/coaches (80% of the private schools pay sub-par salaries for all but the head coaches).

2. No money required for students to pay for an education

ok let's add some more to public schools...

5. More money for athletic teams (D1)

7. More support from parents and administration for athletics in general

9. Not tied to the state budget

Those can be reversed, these are all generalizations, I think the parents at the public schools care a lot...they have PTA's and things like that...the private school me and my brother attend do not have that.

I don't think it is the o-10 people who are complaining.I'ts plain to see that they don't work and can't expect to win.All good teams work hard,some harder than others.Our school and alot of others expect our guy's to do things''but our requests are never met .We have no control.They do what they please.Some of them are not very disaplined.Private schools probably don't have as much trouble with this as the publics.We work harder than most public schools and we win alot also.The hard work is a tribute to the private schools,but at the same time 'it's an advantage.We can't tell our kids to shape up or get out.If we did our enrollment would be very small.

I have never heard of any public-school board giving or providing money to athletic teams outside of buildings, fields, and coach's supplements. ALL FOOTBALL TEAMS I have every coached at were totally supported through gate receipts and in some cases concession money. In fact, at two schools where I worked, they robbed the football gate receipts to help fund minor sports. I have been a member of PTA and PTO's for years and they don't raise money for sports teams. Booster clubs do that and they are not directly tied into the general funding of the school board! Most private schools have far better support from their booster and student parents! Most private schools (DII) have huge private endowments from large corporations and rich philanthropic organizations and people. If you don't understand what I mean by not being tied to the state budget, let me remind you that our educational system has been held hostage by the state for the past six months! I know of many good young assistant coaches who have left Tennessee and moved to Alabama and Georgia to coach and teach because of these problems!

Well as a whole i think private schools have some very distinct advantages, but alot of the ones that have been listed here are not. I am speaking from my experience as a student of Ezell HArding for 8 years and my brother has attended for the last 12 years.

I beleive the kids that attend private schools are more disciplined and open to instruction than the majority of public school kids. But at the same time i know that private schools have to have a certain enrollment in order to br profitable. Its not just smart kids that can play sports that goto these schools. I know this as a fact but as a whole they are above average.

The Coaches and Parents at a private school DO NOT go on recruiting trips to local middle and elementry schools witht he idea of finding new talent. Now i know some coaches may have done this but it on no way represents the whole. A majority of the recruiting that is done is word of mouth advertising about the advantages that are provided going to a private school. 1st admendment rights uphold anyones right to say OUR SCHOOL IS GREAT and so forth and so on.

I also agree that alot of the small rural schools dont have a chance when it comes to playin some of these guys. They have better facilities, easier to coach kids, and overall a caring relationship between the kids and their teachers and coaches. That i think is it in a nut shell, and explains the reason why there is such a disparity in the playing field especially in the 1a and 2a ranks.

I beleive the answer is a multiplier not a 2 or 3 multiplier i have seen in the past but 1.5 or 1.35 i think is fair. I also think all the schools should compete against each other and have it set up where schools have to move up after they have showed SIGNIFICANT succeess in one division. Alot of the arguments on here could be curbed with a little understanding about the others guys without all the finger pointing.

I feel for the small schools such as Cloudland being one of the smallest enrollments in the STAte. But we dont go and make divisions in order to make sure that one team can win or lose more. It should be done for equality in the sport and not have apples playin oranges. At Ezell we havent been good at Football until the last 3 years when Coach Smith to Arrived since 1990. He has done a great job there and should be commended for it. Ezell last year would have won 2a more than likely and maybe even 3a but in a few years they wont be as dominate and in 2a would get drilled, but it wouldnt be the first time and we wont be complaing. God Luck to all teams this year I hope to see some great games. But ill only see it if your playin Ezell.;)

Fantastic understanding of the problem Chakra! I only wish others on these boards understood both sides of the situation also. The private schools do have an advantage over very small rural schools. Cloudland is an exception to the rule, they have fantastic support by comparison to others. A great coach doesn't hurt either!

Small schools not only support the football program with gate reciepts, they have to support all the other teams also. Booster club money typically has to be divided evenly between the sports also. Parent support is non-existent in some programs. Ours made the playoffs last year, and took at least 20 people to the first game, fans that is, we dressed 18 players. With that kind of support there is virtually no program. Something fundamental has to change, the parents. The parents need to be involved, supportive, and THERE! That is the biggest advantage I see in the private schools.

Chakra you deserve a good mark .Ezell deserves a state championship .Coach Smith has done a great job and Ezell should be one heck of a team this year.Thanks to Ezell we will be a better team also.Good teams learn and get better when they get whipped.I hope we can meet again .I also believe in the multiplier as long as private schools do things the right way.I believe most of them do.Thanks for your truthful statement and whoever scout is I respected your post also.We can iron this out if we can act like adults

I would like to add a couple of other possibilities to supplement Chakra's list.

a) Coaching. The privates have a lot more flexibility in attracting the best coaches and keeping them. There is no way that Ezell or CPA would have won state in 2000 and 2001 without Dave Pack and Coach Smith. Both of these people can take fairly good athletes and make them great. USJ have a good program because of Marley and of course on the Public side, Satterfield made Trousdale a dynasty in the 90's. As we have seen, the money is not always the deciding factor on whether a coach stays, we know Dave Pack had a great offer from MBA and decided to stay, I'm sure Satterfiled could also find a great job if one day he decides to leave Hartsville.

;) At most Privates, competitive sports are strongly encouraged (By both parents and teachers) for all students even for those who have giftings more in the academic area. It would be very rare for a Private School with more than 200 High School students to have trouble in pulling together a squad in any sport.

c) Practice Time: Despite what most anti private people think, most of the kids live just a few minutes away from the school so the commitment to attend practice is a lot easier than some kids who live in a very rural environment where they may have to travel 20 or more miles to get home.

I would not put fan support as a public/private debate. I have seen great levels of support on both sides. In fact I think the Public may have a slight edge, Collinwood and Hartsville are buzzing with excitement on Friday nights where the whole town shows up.

Thank you guys i just beleive in tryin to make the best solution possible given the facts. The only thin i really feel adament about is that i am against a total split. I think it is bad for both sides and takes away from the game, but that is just my opinion. A majority of these accussations that are thrown around on here are exactlly that concerning private schools. But if you beleive that recruiting has never happened i have some ocean front property in Wyoming u need to buy.

Answer in my case is 1.25-1.75 multiplier and stricter rules on recruitment. Also i have posted this before and i will again. If they are gonna raise taxes by 1 billion dollars give me a break put some of that money into schools. HECK I SAY PUT IT ALL IN THERE and there wouldnt be a need for private schools.