Volunteer Falcons 2008?

VHSFALCONS

Yes the weight room was absolutely packed when I picked up my brother from the school the other day. I know someone around here has to have some spare change to throw Volunteers way. We always needed an add on to that weight room now with all the players that are coming out to play it's very much needed! With the weight room filled to the rim and what looked to be possibly the freshmen outside running it looked like that falcons will be ready to strap it on this next week for two a day/three a days. I hope to make it down to one of the scrimmages and practices before I ship out to start my dirt work of pre season, best of luck to the falcons!

GO FALCON!

Smith25(52)

I definitely agree with you that there has to be someone that is in the Volunteer Alumni that either has some money to donate to the program and get a tax break, or someone that is in the construction business who is a Volunteer Alumni and could do an add-on to the field house. I don't know what all equipment has been added to the field house, but I know back in 98-99 former Coach Mike Mays(at Tennessee High now) took steps to getting new equipment. Hopefully there has been more added since then.

What is it going to take for people to starting donating money to the sports programs at Volunteer?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I definitely agree with you that there has to be someone that is in the Volunteer Alumni that either has some money to donate to the program and get a tax break, or someone that is in the construction business who is a Volunteer Alumni and could do an add-on to the field house. I don't know what all equipment has been added to the field house, but I know back in 98-99 former Coach Mike Mays(at Tennessee High now) took steps to getting new equipment. Hopefully there has been more added since then.

What is it going to take for people to starting donating money to the sports programs at Volunteer?

Volunteer has good equipment in the weight room and kept getting better while I played. I know Coach Rider does all he can to get his players the the best stuff possible. But the biggest problem is the lack of space. With the program growing like it has the past few years they could benefit by having bigger locker rooms and definitely a bigger weight room.

Im sure the Falcons will be fine this year. As the backfield goes, they may not have my size, but they are fast and can cut a heck of alot better than I ever could. Speed wont be an issue neither. As of Devin, I spoke to him when I visted the middle school. He didnt say much or anything if I can remember? But if he is cocky as I hear he is, he will be humbled. Just give it time... And he may need to gain another 80lbs? Anyway, The team will be alright this year. I know ill make the time for several games.

Good luck.

-Barlow

Volunteer has good equipment in the weight room and kept getting better while I played. I know Coach Rider does all he can to get his players the the best stuff possible. But the biggest problem is the lack of space. With the program growing like it has the past few years they could benefit by having bigger locker rooms and definitely a bigger weight room.

I heard coach Rider already has a plan to build another weightroom, and that its going to be built where the scoreboard is and the scoreboard will be placed on the other side of the feild. And the feildhouse right now will be tore down and another locker room will be built on the other side of the parking lot where that big turn is. I dont know if this is true or not but I heard this not to long back. I thnk its a great idea because after the team gets done workin out they can just go straight to the track or the feild to run. And the placement for the locker room is great.

Is Volunteer still coming to GC on August 8th? I had read somewhere that Abingdon was coming also and wasn't sure if it was a 3-way or what. Very good scrimmage last season and I hope for the same this year.

Last I heard Volunteer is coming to Gate City August 8th. I hadn't heard about Abingdon being there but the three way scrimmage has been popular the last few years.

Last I heard Volunteer is coming to Gate City August 8th. I hadn't heard about Abingdon being there but the three way scrimmage has been popular the last few years.

My undestanding of the new scrimmage rules for TN is that a 3 way scrimmage would count as playing 2 teams and your only allowed to have 3 scrimmages before season starts. The scrimmage this Friday will not be a 3 way with Abingdon included only with GC. In my opinion the 3 way has its advantages as far as not tiring the boys out so much with the heat and 3 a days they've done this week, but I also think lining up against the same player down after down instead of someone new every series helps them get ready for what they'll see during season. Just my opinion.

Final score ended up Elizabethton 14 Volunteer 7.

The first strings ended up 7-7 and then substitutions started on both sides. First teams did not play very long, probably four or five series each.

Volunteer had two scores called back for penalties and another one because the quarterback was in the grasp and the referee blew it dead as the pass was released for a TD. Defenses looked sharper than offenses for both squads, but that is to be expected for the first scrimmage in my opinion.

Good luck to Elizabethton this season and hopefully we can meet in the playoffs.

Go Falcons!!!