Bearden Invitational

Tribe007

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maryville 4

Gallatin 1

Saw most of the games tonight. The West vs Baylor was a great match!! Both teams play with a lot of energy. It was a joy to watch. McCoy (Cody) was fouled HARD in the box. They were given a PK, however Cody launched it over the goal. That would have changed the game for them, but that kept Baylor in it. West had a lot of "near goals" A long thrown-in from Tanner was almost put in, but just missed. The goal by Baylor was a nice finish by there player ?? don't know his name but he beat a defender and the keeper was WAY out of the box. He had to poise to not attack the goal, he simply placed it towards the net and let gravity do the rest. It was a nice goal. I saw a great save by the West keeper and one of the defenders made a great save right in front of the box. All I can say is....West is a very, very good team. They may have lost this game, but (as much as I hate saying this) I think they played better overall. No offense to Baylor, they are a great team also. I would bet both of these 2 teams have very good seasons.

Maryville won 4-1. Carter and Large a both stand-out players! They will have a good team also! They scored in the first 57 seconds of the game, 12 minutes in Large had a great header for a goal. It was 3-0 at the half and Gallatin was getting frustrated. Ended 4-1. Gallatin has West next...they will have real trouble with a team that jsut lost a game they should have at least tied.

The Bearden vs Christian Brothers game was another great game. Bearden scored in the 12th minute- goal by Schoenfeld and then scored again in the 23rd minute goal by wilkerson assist by Schoenfeld. Bearden dominated most of the first half, but in the 31st minute CBHS got a goal from a corner kick. Don't know who did it. The half ended 2-1. The second half started in a heavy downpour of cold rain. This half was dominated by Christian Brothers- they scored in the 15th minute of the 2nd half. They got a 2 on 2 and beat the defenders. It was a nice goal that the Bearden keeper just couldn't get to. Then with 8 minutes left in the game with the score tied 2-2, Tom Webster got a ball just inside the 18 and beat everybody and put one in. That kid is hard to stop when he is at his best!! The last 5 minutes was CBHS taking all kinds of shots- Bearden was able to hold on for the win. It was a great game.

Tomorrow has 5 games, but I think the Hendersonville vs Bearden and the CBHS vs CAK should be really good the watch. Big G has his work cut out for him ...CBHS is very, very good team and they do everything well! Hendersonville has a good defense..it should be difficult for Bearden to score on them. Good luck to all!!

Saw most of the games tonight. The West vs Baylor was a great match!! Both teams play with a lot of energy. It was a joy to watch. McCoy (Cody) was fouled HARD in the box. They were given a PK, however Cody launched it over the goal. That would have changed the game for them, but that kept Baylor in it. West had a lot of "near goals" A long thrown-in from Tanner was almost put in, but just missed. The goal by Baylor was a nice finish by there player ?? don't know his name but he beat a defender and the keeper was WAY out of the box. He had to poise to not attack the goal, he simply placed it towards the net and let gravity do the rest. It was a nice goal. I saw a great save by the West keeper and one of the defenders made a great save right in front of the box. All I can say is....West is a very, very good team. They may have lost this game, but (as much as I hate saying this) I think they played better overall. No offense to Baylor, they are a great team also. I would bet both of these 2 teams have very good seasons.

Maryville won 4-1. Carter and Large a both stand-out players! They will have a good team also! They scored in the first 57 seconds of the game, 12 minutes in Large had a great header for a goal. It was 3-0 at the half and Gallatin was getting frustrated. Ended 4-1. Gallatin has West next...they will have real trouble with a team that jsut lost a game they should have at least tied.

The Bearden vs Christian Brothers game was another great game. Bearden scored in the 12th minute- goal by Schoenfeld and then scored again in the 23rd minute goal by wilkerson assist by Schoenfeld. Bearden dominated most of the first half, but in the 31st minute CBHS got a goal from a corner kick. Don't know who did it. The half ended 2-1. The second half started in a heavy downpour of cold rain. This half was dominated by Christian Brothers- they scored in the 15th minute of the 2nd half. They got a 2 on 2 and beat the defenders. It was a nice goal that the Bearden keeper just couldn't get to. Then with 8 minutes left in the game with the score tied 2-2, Tom Webster got a ball just inside the 18 and beat everybody and put one in. That kid is hard to stop when he is at his best!! The last 5 minutes was CBHS taking all kinds of shots- Bearden was able to hold on for the win. It was a great game.

Tomorrow has 5 games, but I think the Hendersonville vs Bearden and the CBHS vs CAK should be really good the watch. Big G has his work cut out for him ...CBHS is very, very good team and they do everything well! Hendersonville has a good defense..it should be difficult for Bearden to score on them. Good luck to all!!

pseudo,

You are pretty much spot on with all of this. I was able to watch all of the games tonight, except for the second half of the Maryville/Gallatin game...(It looked like it was going to be a blowout, so I grabbed a bite to eat).

I thoroughly enjoyed both the West/Baylor game and the Bearden/CBHS game. Both were fun to watch.

West/Baylor: I thought it was a VERY physical game, and I applaud the ref for letting the two teams play. I love it when refs allow the advantage, and I detest it when a ref calls it too tightly. #2 and #10 for Baylor are outstanding players. Both are very good with the ball at their feet, and both are capable of scoring. I was not impressed with either of the McCoy bros tonight. I think I have the liberty to express my displeasure with Cody's play, especially since I have repeatedly called Cody one of the best, (if not the best), player in the state AAA. Cody, I thought, was overly direct, and he tried to force his options. Yes, he was hit hard, but I believe the physical play destroyed his game. He spent a great amount of time unjustly complaining to the ref, and he forgot about playing soccer. Furthermore, Jack stepped in front of the keeper on several occasions, both of which merited a card. McCoy boys...Cody especially...just play soccer. This is no offense to either kid; I believe that they are both exceptional players and good kids.

Maryville/Gallatin: This was the first time that I have seen Maryville play this year, and they appear to be legit. Ridge Carter was physical, tireless, and exceptional. Large was crafty and dangerous up top. I was surprised with several things: Large is no longer in the midfield, and Maryville, (I could be way off on this since I was spending too much time socializing), has switched to a flat back. Overall, Maryville seems to finish their chances, and Gallatin seems quite down. I expected to come back from dinner seeing a 6-0 Maryville win, but somehow it ended 4-1.

Bearden/CBHS: Wow! I wanted so badly to get warm, but I could not blink it was so exciting! Bearden dominated, and I mean dominated, the first half. It looked like CBHS had barely gotten off the bus before they were down 2-0. Don't you just love Bearden's passion? Every player on the bench is standing, every goal resembles a Scottish victory over the English. I don't know what Turner does to motivate his players, but he does it well.

However...CBHS came out on fire in the second half. They must have outshot Bearden 8-1. CBHS moves the ball exceptionally well, and their defense moves as a cohesive unit. They are creative and audacious in the offensive third, but they unfortunately had problems finishing. They are VERY well-coached. I have never met Coach Lima, but his boys play an extremely attractive brand of soccer. (Lots of teams in East TN. could learn from their play). Coach Lima, if you view this forum, please PM me.

How about the conclusion to this game? I had just gotten through telling my buddy that Webster had been nonexistent in the second half. I criticized him for setting up camp at the midfield line. He might as well have sat down for the 89 minutes of the second half. Confession: I am ignorant. I didn't realize that Tom was just waiting for the perfect opportunity. Tom was outstanding tonight. I was most impressed with his poise and patience. He got one chance in the second half, and that was all he needed. Brilliant effort and perfect finish! That kid is something else. He has one of the quickest first steps I have seen at a HS level.

Also worth noting: I believe Tom Webster is a class act. There were several occasions where he patted an opponent on the back or apologized to an opponent for a hard foul. Pseudo, maybe you were right about him being the absolute best!

Great game! Can't wait 'til tomorrow.

Baylor vs. West - Great game. There easily could have been more than one goal in the game. Danny VanValkinburgh showed once again why he is the best keeper that Baylor has every had. He made 3-4 game-saving saves. As mentioned in another post, this was a very physical game. I was not sure if Baylor could play that style. I thought Zander Davis (#2)outplayed Cody Mccoy all night. Baylor's midfield of Davis and Kelly Smith (#10) were the difference. What a weapon Knox West has with the long throw-in. They had 6-7 of these and each one was a scoring opportunity. Much more effective than any free kick or corner. I really liked West's offense attack, lot's of good intra-play by the forwards and mids. West will score many goals this year.

PS - It was also humorous to see the younger McCoy giving his older brother grief for missing a PK.

pseudo,

You are pretty much spot on with all of this. I was able to watch all of the games tonight, except for the second half of the Maryville/Gallatin game...(It looked like it was going to be a blowout, so I grabbed a bite to eat).

I thoroughly enjoyed both the West/Baylor game and the Bearden/CBHS game. Both were fun to watch.

West/Baylor: I thought it was a VERY physical game, and I applaud the ref for letting the two teams play. I love it when refs allow the advantage, and I detest it when a ref calls it too tightly. #2 and #10 for Baylor are outstanding players. Both are very good with the ball at their feet, and both are capable of scoring. I was not impressed with either of the McCoy bros tonight. I think I have the liberty to express my displeasure with Cody's play, especially since I have repeatedly called Cody one of the best, (if not the best), player in the state AAA. Cody, I thought, was overly direct, and he tried to force his options. Yes, he was hit hard, but I believe the physical play destroyed his game. He spent a great amount of time unjustly complaining to the ref, and he forgot about playing soccer. Furthermore, Jack stepped in front of the keeper on several occasions, both of which merited a card. McCoy boys...Cody especially...just play soccer. This is no offense to either kid; I believe that they are both exceptional players and good kids.

Maryville/Gallatin: This was the first time that I have seen Maryville play this year, and they appear to be legit. Ridge Carter was physical, tireless, and exceptional. Large was crafty and dangerous up top. I was surprised with several things: Large is no longer in the midfield, and Maryville, (I could be way off on this since I was spending too much time socializing), has switched to a flat back. Overall, Maryville seems to finish their chances, and Gallatin seems quite down. I expected to come back from dinner seeing a 6-0 Maryville win, but somehow it ended 4-1.

Bearden/CBHS: Wow! I wanted so badly to get warm, but I could not blink it was so exciting! Bearden dominated, and I mean dominated, the first half. It looked like CBHS had barely gotten off the bus before they were down 2-0. Don't you just love Bearden's passion? Every player on the bench is standing, every goal resembles a Scottish victory over the English. I don't know what Turner does to motivate his players, but he does it well.

However...CBHS came out on fire in the second half. They must have outshot Bearden 8-1. CBHS moves the ball exceptionally well, and their defense moves as a cohesive unit. They are creative and audacious in the offensive third, but they unfortunately had problems finishing. They are VERY well-coached. I have never met Coach Lima, but his boys play an extremely attractive brand of soccer. (Lots of teams in East TN. could learn from their play). Coach Lima, if you view this forum, please PM me.

How about the conclusion to this game? I had just gotten through telling my buddy that Webster had been nonexistent in the second half. I criticized him for setting up camp at the midfield line. He might as well have sat down for the 89 minutes of the second half. Confession: I am ignorant. I didn't realize that Tom was just waiting for the perfect opportunity. Tom was outstanding tonight. I was most impressed with his poise and patience. He got one chance in the second half, and that was all he needed. Brilliant effort and perfect finish! That kid is something else. He has one of the quickest first steps I have seen at a HS level.

Also worth noting: I believe Tom Webster is a class act. There were several occasions where he patted an opponent on the back or apologized to an opponent for a hard foul. Pseudo, maybe you were right about him being the absolute best!

Great game! Can't wait 'til tomorrow.

no one player plays as well as they can everygame! as for the pk he will not miss again this year.

Catholic 2

Mo West 1

Don't know any more details than the score.

Catholic's results are pretty impressive, considering a lot (about 4 or 5) of their starting line up isn't/wasn't there for the past 2 games.

The Bearden game should be great on Monday!

Morristown West/Catholic--Good game, but both teams appeared to be a little tired. Catholic had the run of play, but Morristown W. is a good team. I was extremely impressed with T.C. (#8). He has a very high soccer IQ, and he rarely takes more than one touch, except when he is in a one vs. one situation. His peripheral vision and passing ability makes everyone around him better. Catholic 2, Mo. West 1

Baylor/Maryville--Pretty much even in the first half, but Maryville could barely get the ball passed the midfield line in the second. I am not sure what happened to Maryville at halftime, but they were on their heels for pretty much the entire half. Maryville has an extremely difficult time clearing the ball, but it might have had something to do with the wind being in their face. Baylor outworked Maryville, and it could have easily been 3-0. Baylor 1, Maryville 0

West/Gallatin--A thumpin'...West responded well to adversity and gave Gallatin all they could handle. Cody McCoy played well and had three goals. Tanner had an "above human" shot in the second half. I had just gotten through mumbling that there was no way that he should be taking a free kick from so close to the end line--he had virtually no angle on the keeper. But he put it upper 90, in the side netting; it was absolutely the only place he could have hit it to score. West 6, Gallatin 1

Bearden/Hendersonville--In a monsoon...all Bearden. Shonefield was absolutely brilliant. He is big, physical, fast; I could go on and on with adjectives to describe him. He ended with a hat trick, and Bearden ended with a relatively easy win in comparison to the night before. Unfortunately, one of Bearden's players went down hard, and word spread that there might be a tear. (I certainly hope that this is not the case). Bearden 6, Hendersonville 2.

Baylor 1....Maryville 0. As someone else mentioned could have been 3-0. Red Raiders dominated the 2nd half. Carter Paden scored the goal, Danny V was strong in the goal as usual. Andrew Roden was a standout on defense. Zander Davis tough in the midfield. Really the entire team played a very strong 2nd half as well.