Bill Whittaker AHS Wrestling coach passes

Ed D

It saddens me to tell you that Bill Whittaker the former wrestling coach for Antioch High School passed away this morning. I don't have any details other than it happened this morning. I heard it from another former teacher who said the family has not made any arrangements yet. She said more than likely he will be at Hickory Chapel in Antioch TN.

I considered Coach Whitt a friend. He once told me "Parker when it's all said and done you might have five people that you can truly call friends". When I think about it he was pretty close to being right. I first met him when I was in Jr. High at Apollo back in the late seventies. He allowed me to come and workout with the high school team and instilled a love for the sport of wrestling in me that will last a lifetime. I coached some club teams and helped with my sons middle school team and I was glad to be able to share that part of my life with my son. During the seventies and eighties we had some fairly sucessful teams at Antioch under Coach Whitt and Alvin Jones. I'll miss him just knowing he's not around.

I never met a student that did not like Coach Whitt. He helped me out a lot and always had some good advice.

In memory of:

Coach Whitt

Alvin Gaines

Matt Wood

Respectfully

Eddie Parker

AHS Class of 1980

It saddens me to tell you that Bill Whittaker the former wrestling coach for Antioch High School passed away this morning. I don't have any details other than it happened this morning. I heard it from another former teacher who said the family has not made any arrangements yet. She said more than likely he will be at Hickory Chapel in Antioch TN.

I considered Coach Whitt a friend. He once told me "Parker when it's all said and done you might have five people that you can truly call friends". When I think about it he was pretty close to being right. I first met him when I was in Jr. High at Apollo back in the late seventies. He allowed me to come and workout with the high school team and instilled a love for the sport of wrestling in me that will last a lifetime. I coached some club teams and helped with my sons middle school team and I was glad to be able to share that part of my life with my son. During the seventies and eighties we had some fairly sucessful teams at Antioch under Coach Whitt and Alvin Jones. I'll miss him just knowing he's not around.

I never met a student that did not like Coach Whitt. He helped me out a lot and always had some good advice.

In memory of:

Coach Whitt

Alvin Gaines

Matt Wood

Respectfully

Eddie Parker

AHS Class of 1980

Is this the same Coach Whittaker that coached Antoch in the '70's?

If so, his son is the Head Coach at East Literature and you can see what he is doing there to see the tradition is being carried on.

My prayers and thougts go out to the Whittaker family.

P.S.. Did you know that Coach Whittaker was a war hero as he served in the United States Marine?

Rest in Peace!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is Coach Whit's nephew that is coaching the East Lit. team & he is also named Billy Whittaker. Coach Whit was a good man that did as much for other wrestlers and teams as he did for his own Antioch boys. He was one of the first high school coaches to bring in college coaches for camps and clinics.

• 3 weeks later...

For Coach Whittaker _ Antioch Wrestling Coach

Hello All,

I remember Coach Whittaker as a source of inspiration and father figure that I looked up to when I was young, I admired him, followed his lead and his instructions, took his word as the gospel and more importantly, learned the Lords Prayer, which has given me comfort throughout all these years since High-School. I realize now that we had so much more in common as I live my life. Military, Law Enforcement, Government and Athletics.

I am deeply saddened by your passing but know that you are in a better place than us. Strength, Honor and Holy blessings to you and your sweet wife and our beloved.

Thank You Coach ... after all these years, to come to this now and now I shed tears and I Thank You for being there when I needed you and giving me the strength and encouragement to compete like a True Champion.

All those who were true competitors whose life was short, God Speed and we will continue on our own journey, with remembrance of you during our days here.