new coach for Independence

coloma20

Glad to hear they hired a coach...this is a VERY young hire. Indy Nation will need to be patient as the cupboard is not full...not sure what's coming up in middle school...will probably take two to four years to build the program back up.

Which AAU team does her dad coach?

Great hire. With all respect, it will not take this coach anywhere near 4 years and will be a contender in two. The greatest qualification will be she understands what it takes to be a winner and she knows how to bring the Indy community together and focus on the task at hand. There is no doubt she knows what is in front of her.

AS A NOTE; Much has been written about the selection time taken. The greatest impression is somebody at INDY definitely knows how to hire the person and has exhibited very good judgement. Time will tell these things.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great hire. With all respect, it will not take this coach anywhere near 4 years and will be a contender in two. The greatest qualification will be she understands what it takes to be a winner and she knows how to bring the Indy community together and focus on the task at hand. There is no doubt she knows what is in front of her.

AS A NOTE; Much has been written about the selection time taken. The greatest impression is somebody at INDY definitely knows how to hire the person and has exhibited very good judgement. Time will tell these things.

Talent, especially older talent, wins games, and most of the talent at Independence either graduated or transferred to Riverdale. I don't believe there is a single senior on the team for next year, and the best two juniors followed Maxwell to Riverdale. That is why I say two to four years...they could hire Pat Summitt and it would still take that long, unless new talent transfers in to Indy, which would then speed up the process. You are right...time will tell.

Talent, especially older talent, wins games, and most of the talent at Independence either graduated or transferred to Riverdale. I don't believe there is a single senior on the team for next year, and the best two juniors followed Maxwell to Riverdale. That is why I say two to four years...they could hire Pat Summitt and it would still take that long, unless new talent transfers in to Indy, which would then speed up the process. You are right...time will tell.

Good thoughts. That used to be that way but its no longer the case. Depends on the coach and what she is able to get out of whoever winds up on the team. Also depends on her support but time will tell and so will events.

Good thoughts. That used to be that way but its no longer the case. Depends on the coach and what she is able to get out of whoever winds up on the team. Also depends on her support but time will tell and so will events.

In two years under Maxwell, who I think is a good coach, Indy was not able to contend. I say this based on the fact that they never finished higher than third in the regular season district race, did not advance past the district semi-finals, and did not advance past the first round of the region tournament.

With that being the case, what makes you think that the new coach can do better in two years with less talent? I just don't see it happening...perhaps in four years, but again, I think it's going to take some junior/senior talent, along with good coaching, to do it.

PHargis, I say this with all due respect as I think you make a lot of good points regarding a variety of issues. I'm just not sure I can side with you on this one. I hope, for Indy's sake, I'm wrong.

In two years under Maxwell, who I think is a good coach, Indy was not able to contend. I say this based on the fact that they never finished higher than third in the regular season district race, did not advance past the district semi-finals, and did not advance past the first round of the region tournament.

With that being the case, what makes you think that the new coach can do better in two years with less talent? I just don't see it happening...perhaps in four years, but again, I think it's going to take some junior/senior talent, along with good coaching, to do it.

PHargis, I say this with all due respect as I think you make a lot of good points regarding a variety of issues. I'm just not sure I can side with you on this one. I hope, for Indy's sake, I'm wrong.

Me too, but in all respect and I assure you it is so, that's what makes a horse race UNLESS there is underlying reasoning to the contrary that we here are trying to prove or disprove. Your first paragraph is subjective and one that this poster cannot agree with even though you base your final basis on final standings in district and region, They were continually being projected as contenders losing critical games by very few points. What was also important was these teams took the hearts of the fans of Indy who it seemed had a definite belief in these teams, their players and their coaches. That they, but for a little bit , not ony were contenders but the futures looked very bright. The real story here was the progress that was make for two seasons and today a great Young coach takes over the reins, understanding what was done and understanding where the bar is set and we are here making comments that 4 years might be the best that can be done and the Coach and players are saying to themselves, "What is that all about"?, they don't even play. Give the job that was done at Indy the past two years its due. And say to a great prospect of a coach and what this poster considers some of the most gritty players in District 11, now its time to pass the torch to them. And they now are looking to some future 9th graders to step up and be of help plus, if they are lucky some transfers to help them with the season. What has happened is unfortunate but real life and life goes on and they still do have a chance.

Bri, did you know Mariska at HT?

I didn't, but I've known her dad for years. My daughter played youth league basketball with his son. Very good people, and a family with a very high bball IQ. I heard Pat Summit has been very complimentary of her @ camps.

Little bird says Miriska Reed (google her)

Trevecca Womens Basketball Star

2 Time NAIA Honorable metion All-American

Led team to NAIA finals @last years National Championships (finsihed runner up)

TSSAA Miss Basketball finalist

Won the TSSAA State Championship @ Ezell Harding

Runner up State Championships

Jersey hangs from the rafters at Ezell #23

#2 leading scorer in the history of Ezell Harding, just handed the ball over to Leah Mcalister this past year.

She has been coaching at Pat Summit's basketball camps for the past few years.

(summit is some coach from the eastern part of the state)

Coached at HoopTown AAu

High School Camps through out nashville

Comes from a basketball family, father former college player and high school coach, current AAU coach, runs summer basketball camp in Nashville area.

I know this Coach well, she is a great player, who will make the transition from playing to coaching with not much of a problem. She understands and is a student of the game and has always been a leader. She can teach the players how to play. She has the respect of a number of coaches in the successful programs in Nashville, I think I had about 11 coaches call me to tell me the news, everyone excited for her and wanting to schedule her these first two years, because after two years you wont want to schedule her team.

Great choice and good luck to Independance. If the fans were looking for someone to build thier team, from the ground up, they got a great choice. Miriska brings to the table Knowledge of the game, and the path to high school success and then college success. The most remarkable thing about Miriska is that even with all of her success, she is one of the best young, brightest people you will ever meet and although she has the drive of a champion, she has a heart of gold and will be fair and honest with the players.

Great hire, lets hope the fans rally around their new coach.

When will this be announced officially?