White Co. vs Pickett Co.

ateverygame

In my opinion the best ever defensive and best athlete to ever grace the courts of Byrdstown was Ricky Tate. This guy was problay 5'8", 5'9" at best and could shut down any quick player that was on the floor. This guy was an AMAZING jumper. Word on the street was that he could touch a little over 11 feet.At that height, that is unheard of. I had the priveledge of watching him,Mitchell, Parris, Rich, Crouch, Melton and all those guys in that era. He was the best overall athlete in my mind. I think that he did not receive the exposure that he deserved because he was not as well off(financially) as other players. This is my opinion and no offense intended to anyone at all. I think the best person to answer my question would probaly be Coach Charles Mitchell. He coached all these guys to include his son. I heard that he had said at one point that Ricky Tate was the most amazing athlete that he had ever coached. I see that you are young and probaly never even heard of this guy. He could run for days and press full court for the entire game and would probaly still be running today if it meant that he could help PCHS win the game. I sound pretty bias, but I think that he should have played college ball.Anyone remember this guy. Last I heard he was in the Army, but that was years ago.

I have never heard of this guy, of course I was like 4 years old or something then. I only remember the last ten years or so.....I barely remember Jo Amonette. But I'm sure this guy was good.

I only saw him play a couple times me being a White County fan, but I thought Nathan Aaron was a really good scorer for Pickett a few years ago.

Ya know, Nathan was great, top ten all time, probably top 5. But he was mostly just a scorer in my eyes. And let me pose this question, if he were as great as say Mitchell and Amonett then why did they play D1 college ball and he play NAIA? ya know? That's why i give them a notch, plus those two and Eugene won a Mr. Basketball award.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well he left this morning to go on Senior Trip with the Senior class to Florida but other than that Noone has said anything to me, and I usually hear about this stuff pretty quick. I'm gonna guess no truth to that, because him and his wife basically have cake jobs here, he's assistant principle and does some driver's ed and P.E. classes, she does Special ED. She also coaches the girl's softball team. The last I've heard is they have been trying to sale their house in Livingston, but that was because they are wanting to move to Pickett Co. Like I said I haven't heard anything. I think he really likes it here, and I think unless its just an awesome job he would be leaving for, he would be crazy to leave.....PC is one of the best jobs around in the Upper-cumberland especially, because 1) single A is easier than other classes to win, obviously 2) Pickett Co has been good for 20 years, and continues to be (they will be down a little next year) but this job is one that a lot of coaches go out and look for, and 3) Pickett Co is crazy about its High school Basketball and have a really good support and fan base. Just depends on if Bibb is getting offered big money from a big school somewhere else. I guess if a school from Ky around where he grew up was looking for a coach, he might be interested, I just don't know. One more thing about White Co vs PC.......reguardless of who is better right now, these two teams are definately (over the past 20 years or so) the best two programs in the upper-cumberland.

how often ha PC defeated LA

'04 was the first time they had beat us since '97....and before that it was like maybe late 80's before they beat us in '97....PC dominated LA for a long time....and still is beating them here and there now. LA made State in AA, and have the students to be AAA....I mean geez, shouldn't they beat PC? If PC had like 6 middle schools to pick players from, we'd be dominant too. PC does more with less than any other school in the state.

• 4 months later...

The best players is what is was, scoring went alot into that discussion. I have said Jo Amonette, Eric Mitchell and Eugene Paris where probably the three greatest of all time, I used them because of 1) Top 5 all time scoring, 2) Because they all led their teams to State titles and 3) They all three won Mr. Basketball Awards. As far as the best defensive player, I don't know really.....the best that I really remember and watched, was either Luke Mason, or Josh Tompkins....again those are really the only great ones I saw. Quickest I ever saw where either Andy Asberry or Tompkins.....best athlete, probably Adam Asberry. Again these are ones I have seen, I mean I'm only 22 so I haven't been around forever.....these are just the ones I remember.....who are yours?

When I was reading your post I couldn't help but wonder what happened to these guys you were talking about. Did any go to college and play ball? What are they doing now? I heard Mason was a manager for the University of Kentucky but I have not heard anything about the Asberry's or Tompkins what are they doing now? They all played on the same team if I remember right. I think they only lost one game in 2000 or 2001 in the regular season to Sparta in the Livingston Christmas Tournament in triple overtime if I remember right. That was a fun team to watch....they were all fast and unselfish.