Baylor v McCallie

CSAS Soccer

As good as these two teams are, I hate going to Baylor-McCallie games for this reason. Both teams play not to lose. Intensity and heart are always present but the skill level diminishes greatly as compared to the majority of the other games these teams play. I guess the rivalry creates kind of an intense environment for players and coaches.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me say upfront that I thought McCallie played as well as they could play. Hat's off to the Blue Tornado. They came to play... not settling to sit back and defend the whole game. Baylor has had to suffer this tactic all season, with teams deciding to play all 11 on defense against them, hoping to escape with a tie. Not McCallie and I commend them.

I will say that Baylor got caught playing McCallie's type of game, as it became a very physical test. While the 0-0 score was surprising, it was unbelievable that no cards were given. McCallie played reckless and were not penalized for it. McCallie's Hill J. had at least 7 fouls by my count and no card was given for his cumulative effect on the game. I think the ref did not have his best game in this regard. He should have cautioned this player with a yellow.

Zander was harrased throughout much of the game. To his credit, he did not lose his composure until near the end when he was awarded a foul, only to have to suffer 2 cheap shots by Jesse M. & Hill J. before the ref stopped the play. (They claimed they did not hear the whistle on the initial foul). "Flooring Zander" was needless, dirty, abuse. It would have been "justice" if Zander had finished the chance he had, but Matt H. made the save of the game to keep Baylor off the scoreboard.

Baylor will be ready for McCallie should their paths cross again down the road. I will say a 0-0 tie was a "win" for McCallie, however Baylor can (and will) play much better if a rematch occurs. I do not think McCallie can play any better than they did last night, certainly not from their defensive players. Baylor did not bring their "A" game, and only have their selves to question. McCallie has awakened the Red Raiders.

Soccerman....where you at the same game I was at last night? Crabtree was totally a non-factor, as Roden shut him down all game. Kerr had moments where he penetrated, but did not have any dangerous attempts. Baylor's defense really had a pretty easy evening. Baylor's mids were the ones who had the tough fight.

Let me say upfront that I thought McCallie played as well as they could play. Hat's off to the Blue Tornado. They came to play... not settling to sit back and defend the whole game. Baylor has had to suffer this tactic all season, with teams deciding to play all 11 on defense against them, hoping to escape with a tie. Not McCallie and I commend them.

I will say that Baylor got caught playing McCallie's type of game, as it became a very physical test. While the 0-0 score was surprising, it was unbelievable that no cards were given. McCallie played reckless and were not penalized for it. McCallie's Hill J. had at least 7 fouls by my count and no card was given for his cumulative effect on the game. I think the ref did not have his best game in this regard. He should have cautioned this player with a yellow.

Zander was harrased throughout much of the game. To his credit, he did not lose his composure until near the end when he was awarded a foul, only to have to suffer 2 cheap shots by Jesse M. & Hill J. before the ref stopped the play. (They claimed they did not hear the whistle on the initial foul). "Flooring Zander" was needless, dirty, abuse. It would have been "justice" if Zander had finished the chance he had, but Matt H. made the save of the game to keep Baylor off the scoreboard.

Baylor will be ready for McCallie should their paths cross again down the road. I will say a 0-0 tie was a "win" for McCallie, however Baylor can (and will) play much better if a rematch occurs. I do not think McCallie can play any better than they did last night, certainly not from their defensive players. Baylor did not bring their "A" game, and only have their selves to question. McCallie has awakened the Red Raiders.

Soccerman....where you at the same game I was at last night? Crabtree was totally a non-factor, as Roden shut him down all game. Kerr had moments where he penetrated, but did not have any dangerous attempts. Baylor's defense really had a pretty easy evening. Baylor's mids were the ones who had the tough fight.

I agree, this was a very, very physical game. However, I continue to think that the game would have lost much more control had the referee thrown out the cards to every little thing. yes, maybe a couple of Hill's wins in the midfield were a bit on the aggressive side, but if a card was given to him, then one wouldve needed to have been given to several other players on both teams. For example, Kelly Smith employed his usual deplorable tactics, making an animated dive in the first 5min to get the red a FK awarded. this was called once. after that one time, the ref vocally cautioned kelly and carter for diving. two of the most gifted actors i've ever seen play in high school. i thought the ref did a good job recognizing it consistently throughout the game.

Your recount of the little scene at the end with zander/hill/jesse was a laughably twisted version of what actually occured. One, Hill wasn't even involved in that play, it was Cartter Kerr. Cartter stole the ball from zander, who immediatly retaliated by riding cartters back. cartter stopped because he heard the whistle, while zander kept going after the ball and trying to hack cartter at the same time. this was a good 3sec after the whistle had been blown. eventually, jesse, who was tired of seeing zander foul all over kerr after the whistle had been blown so long ago, ran in and pushed the already-infuriated zander to the ground, possibly saving kerr an injury. zander threw a nice little hissy fit after that, having completely lost his head awhile ago. it was zander, not jesse and cartter, who claimed not to have heard the whistle, as he was the only player on the field still going for the ball. everyone else had stopped.

and this 0-0 tie was not by any means a "win" for mccallie, our mids/forwards were hanging their heads after the game, frustrated by the number of opportunities that they couldn't finish. according to today's paper, mccallie outshot baylor 12-10, danny VV having made 4 saves and matt H having made 3. everything else was off-frame. that doesn't look like a "win" to me. it looks like a "loss" because the blue had more opportunities.

OK, I was at this game and I have no dog in the hunt. Went because I am a soccer fan and because of the hype. As far as I am concerned it was a great game by two very good teams. I was much more impressed with Baylor and especially the 2nd half felt that McCallie was lucky to get out with a tie. Just my unbiased opinion. Don't know any of the players by name so can't comment on that part. If they play again....I hope to be there for sure.

I agree, this was a very, very physical game. However, I continue to think that the game would have lost much more control had the referee thrown out the cards to every little thing. yes, maybe a couple of Hill's wins in the midfield were a bit on the aggressive side, but if a card was given to him, then one wouldve needed to have been given to several other players on both teams. For example, Kelly Smith employed his usual deplorable tactics, making an animated dive in the first 5min to get the red a FK awarded. this was called once. after that one time, the ref vocally cautioned kelly and carter for diving. two of the most gifted actors i've ever seen play in high school. i thought the ref did a good job recognizing it consistently throughout the game.

Your recount of the little scene at the end with zander/hill/jesse was a laughably twisted version of what actually occured. One, Hill wasn't even involved in that play, it was Cartter Kerr. Cartter stole the ball from zander, who immediatly retaliated by riding cartters back. cartter stopped because he heard the whistle, while zander kept going after the ball and trying to hack cartter at the same time. this was a good 3sec after the whistle had been blown. eventually, jesse, who was tired of seeing zander foul all over kerr after the whistle had been blown so long ago, ran in and pushed the already-infuriated zander to the ground, possibly saving kerr an injury. zander threw a nice little hissy fit after that, having completely lost his head awhile ago. it was zander, not jesse and cartter, who claimed not to have heard the whistle, as he was the only player on the field still going for the ball. everyone else had stopped.

and this 0-0 tie was not by any means a "win" for mccallie, our mids/forwards were hanging their heads after the game, frustrated by the number of opportunities that they couldn't finish. according to today's paper, mccallie outshot baylor 12-10, danny VV having made 4 saves and matt H having made 3. everything else was off-frame. that doesn't look like a "win" to me. it looks like a "loss" because the blue had more opportunities.

OK, I was at this game and I have no dog in the hunt. Went because I am a soccer fan and because of the hype. As far as I am concerned it was a great game by two very good teams. I was much more impressed with Baylor and especially the 2nd half felt that McCallie was lucky to get out with a tie. Just my unbiased opinion. Don't know any of the players by name so can't comment on that part. If they play again....I hope to be there for sure.

how were they lucky? there were only about two major SOG in the second half, and they were both saved.

Not sure you are at the same game. Baylor created the better opportunities....not talking about shots on goal. But had McCallie on their heels in my unbiased opinion the 2nd half. Again, just this soccer fans take on it and what seems to be the talk after the game from those around me. Great game...great teams. But if they were to play again my money would be on the red. But if I was Baylor's coach I would make sure that his players tried harder to get open for #8's throws. They are a weapon that needs to be taken advantage of more. Good luck to both teams.

how were they lucky? there were only about two major SOG in the second half, and they were both saved.

Soccerman08....were you keeping the stats at this game? No way McCallie had 12 shots. The paper was wrong and if you were there, you would have scratched your head about this shot count. I think they had 6-7. Also, Zander was the one who was fouled, not Cartter K. The fact that the ref let the play go on so that Jesse and Hill could level cheap shots on Z was ridiculous. After the abuse, you must not have seen Zander point at Jesse telling him that the whistle had blown. Zander was never knocked to the ground despite the hacks he took.

A couple of things on this. Danny did not make a spectacular save....because he didn't have to. That is what a great defense will do for you. But Danny would have made it if he had to. Baylor's goalie and defense I believe are the best and has been for several years. Last year allowing only 5 goals all year....this year just 1 goal thru 8 games so far. I agree with you on this.....goalies get the credit for a shutout score while the defense rarely gets credit....not fair but when you see stats in the paper and goals allowed are there...the goalie gets the glory with no mention of defense. Goalies do not get shutouts by themselves. But that is not the goalie's fault either....just the way it is set up I guess. I feel defenders are the unsung heros for sure. McCallie's goalie did make a great save or Baylor would have won the game. But back to goalies as that was your comment. I would take Danny V over any goalie in the state. Hope the red and blue meet again this year....but hope it is at Baylor.

a side note on the paper report:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Valkinburgh (sp?) is the Baylor keeper? If that's true, I didn't see him make any spectacular save. Maybe it's a testament to sound defense in the back, but he wasn't really tested. I don't necessarily understand why he was put down in the saturday paper as a standout player. From what i saw, his performance was sufficient, but not outstanding. After watching the game friday night, the MC keep was the only one truly tested and i think he answered the call. Man that kid can really kick the ball.

chattanooga I wish I could have been to seen this one. I agree that roden is the best defender in the city also. good luck to csas the rest of the way...unless playing notre dame ofcourse.

baylor has the better set of defenders, rhoden best in the ciyt, csas scored 3 second half goals against mccallie. not sure if they could have done that against baylor's defense.

Cincyred, I find it a little arrogant to say that Baylor only has themselves to question. I'm like Bluelion, I really don't have a fight to pick, but that statement seems to assume too much and doesn't come off too well with anyone who doesn't follow Baylor soccer. I'm guessing you're a Baylor fan. How many MC games have you seen this season? MC did play well on Friday from what i saw and, yes, Baylor created a lot of opportunities, but isn't a little unrealistic that you can sum up the other team in one game. More than anything, I thought the game was a very defensive struggle. Baylor's offensive play made more opportunities than MC's, but I think both defenses deserve some praise, it wasn't just Baylor's inability to put the ball in the net. I know this chat is full different opinions, but as an observer, yours seem to be some of the most biased.

VERY well put, i've observed consistent bias with his posts as well. and the paper usually makes mistakes with these games...what did they say kelly smith's last name was? griffin or something...hahaha. Danny VV in the standout section could have easily been a misprint...maybe they meant to put Higgins. no disrespect to danny, great keeper, but never had to do anything spectacular in this game. his punt was dwarfed in that game, though..

Soccerman08....were you keeping the stats at this game? No way McCallie had 12 shots. The paper was wrong and if you were there, you would have scratched your head about this shot count. I think they had 6-7. Also, Zander was the one who was fouled, not Cartter K. The fact that the ref let the play go on so that Jesse and Hill could level cheap shots on Z was ridiculous. After the abuse, you must not have seen Zander point at Jesse telling him that the whistle had blown. Zander was never knocked to the ground despite the hacks he took.

and you would give this version of what didn't happen being zander's dad and all...