District 1-AAA for 2008-2009

TommyMan37604

I know this is early but how do the teams stack up for next year? I see it as the following:

1. DB- they basically have everyone back and with a year of experience their inside game will improve.

2.SHHS - they will have a good squad but they will rely on the big 3 seniors.

3. THS- could possibly swap with SHHS if they get some help from underclassmen

4. Central - they will be much improved. I was very impressed with them late in the season.

5. Boone - not sure what boone has coming up. I know they lost caldweel and nickels.

6. East- i think they might surprise some people this year. Good young team

7. South- LOST A TON, not sure how campbell will react to being the go to now.

8. Volunteer- might pull an upset or two this year. could see them going to 7

9. Crockett- simply just need some help. Who are their feeder schools?

I think DB has the best shot of winning the reg. and tournament. They are a balanced team if their young guards can improve. They already have the best inside game in the league with Forlich and Osborne.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are right that it is very early but I'll bite. In general we agree with the same 4 above and 4 below Boone. Just swap spots with the team above or below them:

1) Science Hill should be dominated by seniors Hill, Foster, & Good - when in doubt, take the seniors.

2) Dobyns Bennett lost much less than SHHS, but is probably a year away when Devine & Frolich will be seniors.

3) Central has a better supporting cast for Moody than TN High does for Montgomery.

4) TN High has Montgomery and that should be enough to keep them in the top half.

5) Boone has a big senior class but really needs some scoring to replace Caldwell & Nickels.

6) South lost even more scoring than Boone and has even less depth.

7) East returns at least Trivette, Loudermilk, and the big post.

8) Crockett has a little more help for Murr than Volunteer does for Price.

9) Volunteer really needs some ballhandling so Price doesn't have to do it all.

Certainly some of these are close enough that a transfer, freshman, or a new coach could move them up or down a couple of slots, but I'll be surprised if it doesn't come down to SH-DB in the end.

I still like DB. They looked really good in the championship game last year. Just went cold in the last bit to close out the deal. I like SHHS but they did not play that many kids last year, that i saw so it will be interesting to see who helps them. And I really do not know anything about THS escept for Montgomery.

OK, I'll bite.

It is very, very early, but here goes............................

Same 3 teams at the top. Science Hill and D-B may be a tossup.

1. Dobyns-Bennett - Really started to gel at the end of the season. Most talented team from what I can see.

2. Science Hill - Lots of seniors this year, just like Boone, but Science Hill's seniors are all scorers. Most athletic team.

3. Tennessee High - It's all about Montgomery. Coach Bright's job is going to be to get some others to step up. They are growing weary of Montgomery's shadow up there in Bristol.

4. Sullivan Central - They finally found their game in the 2nd half of the season. This run and shoot style seems to work for them.

5. Daniel Boone - Maybe. Other than Harmon, there are not really any scorers on this team. There are several with potential, but will they step up, or are they too used to watching Nickels and Caldwell do the scoring?

6. Sullivan South - The talented freshman will be a sophomore, but can she carry the team in the absence of Williams and Pickwell? Probably not. Others will have to step up and help her.

7. Sullivan East - They are not without talent, and could finish farther up the list, but not up there with the top 3.

8. David Crockett - There is some talent there, but not sure if it is being utilized to the fullest. Not enough horses to place in this race.

9. Volunteer - Not great last year, and Bledsoe is gone this year. Gilliam is good, but not much help for her I'm afraid.

You are right that it is very early but I'll bite. In general we agree with the same 4 above and 4 below Boone. Just swap spots with the team above or below them:

1) Science Hill should be dominated by seniors Hill, Foster, & Good - when in doubt, take the seniors.

2) Dobyns Bennett lost much less than SHHS, but is probably a year away when Devine & Frolich will be seniors.

3) Central has a better supporting cast for Moody than TN High does for Montgomery.

4) TN High has Montgomery and that should be enough to keep them in the top half.

5) Boone has a big senior class but really needs some scoring to replace Caldwell & Nickels.

6) South lost even more scoring than Boone and has even less depth.

7) East returns at least Trivette, Loudermilk, and the big post.

8) Crockett has a little more help for Murr than Volunteer does for Price.

9) Volunteer really needs some ballhandling so Price doesn't have to do it all.

Certainly some of these are close enough that a transfer, freshman, or a new coach could move them up or down a couple of slots, but I'll be surprised if it doesn't come down to SH-DB in the end.

DB will be tough inside, still lacking guards or wings that can handle ball and penetrate, depend on speed and height, SHHS will be tough, don't know about TN High, if all they have is Mongomery and no depth, they may suffer, most other teams have very little depth, For Volunteer Price is a good athlete and I hear she may have ball handling help this year, their starting five will really have to produce, very little depth.

OK, I'll bite.

It is very, very early, but here goes............................

Same 3 teams at the top. Science Hill and D-B may be a tossup.

1. Dobyns-Bennett - Really started to gel at the end of the season. Most talented team from what I can see.

2. Science Hill - Lots of seniors this year, just like Boone, but Science Hill's seniors are all scorers. Most athletic team.

3. Tennessee High - It's all about Montgomery. Coach Bright's job is going to be to get some others to step up. They are growing weary of Montgomery's shadow up there in Bristol.

4. Sullivan Central - They finally found their game in the 2nd half of the season. This run and shoot style seems to work for them.

5. Daniel Boone - Maybe. Other than Harmon, there are not really any scorers on this team. There are several with potential, but will they step up, or are they too used to watching Nickels and Caldwell do the scoring?

6. Sullivan South - The talented freshman will be a sophomore, but can she carry the team in the absence of Williams and Pickwell? Probably not. Others will have to step up and help her.

7. Sullivan East - They are not without talent, and could finish farther up the list, but not up there with the top 3.

8. David Crockett - There is some talent there, but not sure if it is being utilized to the fullest. Not enough horses to place in this race.

9. Volunteer - Not great last year, and Bledsoe is gone this year. Gilliam is good, but not much help for her I'm afraid.

Buc, you say Gilliam is good and has no help and theknack says Price is good and has no help. Maybe you both have a vested interest, either way here's my two cents worth. Between Price and Gilliam, Price is the better of the two hands down and will contribute the most of anyone this season. According to some of the girls Price already has great ballhandling help from a transfer and they should be a great combination. Guess we will know this week when spring practise starts. Bledsoe was not a great loss, she folded under pressure and was replaced several times last year by the freshman McFarland. Gilliam will have to work to keep her spot if the Odell girl steps up and plays like she can. Odell is about six feet and as a freshman last year gave Gilliam all she could handle during practise sessions even before Gilliam had knee injury. I look for Odell to split playing time with or even replace Gilliam some this year. Porter is a great contributor, she plays aggressive D, gets lots of rebounds and can shoot threes, she just needs to slow down a little and get the ball in a guards hands to get it down court. Drain is a 110% player that is consistent every game. Padgett is a good little player that does not get enough playing time. I just hope they get a coach that can inspire confidence and get them to play to their potential. I think a lot of people will be surprised by Volunteer this year if they do.

Yeah Price is pretty good, Gilliam is good. Thought Bledsoe handled pressure as good as anybody on the team.

It may all come down to who gets the coaching job, and how well they motivate and get this team believing.

Main observation is this: They had a tough year last year, placed near the bottom. What will make them any better this year? Not putting them down, just don't know what's coming up. Will they be able to hang with Science Hill or D-B? That would take tremendous improvement.

And no, I don't have a vested interest in anything or anyone in Church Hill. I've only met Channoa and her Mom, and they are good people.

Yeah Price is pretty good, Gilliam is good. Thought Bledsoe handled pressure as good as anybody on the team.

It may all come down to who gets the coaching job, and how well they motivate and get this team believing.

Main observation is this: They had a tough year last year, placed near the bottom. What will make them any better this year? Not putting them down, just don't know what's coming up. Will they be able to hang with Science Hill or D-B? That would take tremendous improvement.

And no, I don't have a vested interest in anything or anyone in Church Hill. I've only met Channoa and her Mom, and they are good people.

I agree buc, they don't need anybody putting them down. I just hope for the seniors they can pull off one or two upsets this year, they deserve it. I think they have the talent but will have to play 4 qtrs of great ball. They will have several seniors on team this year so for them it is now or never. They need one of them to step up as a leader and get them to believe they can beat anybody no matter who the coach is.

No one is putting them down but people do have to be realistic. In every conference at any level there are the teams that people know will finish at the bottom, yes those girls work just as hard as any other team just sometimes, they may not have the supporting cast they need. The real question is would those girl make an impact on one of the top teams or would they just sit? If the answer is they would start or play a large role then yes, i hate it for those girls as well, they will win some games this year but as for upsets, i just cant see it happening maybe if they were in AA, then yes

I know this is early but how do the teams stack up for next year? I see it as the following:

1. DB- they basically have everyone back and with a year of experience their inside game will improve.

2.SHHS - they will have a good squad but they will rely on the big 3 seniors.

3. THS- could possibly swap with SHHS if they get some help from underclassmen

4. Central - they will be much improved. I was very impressed with them late in the season.

5. Boone - not sure what boone has coming up. I know they lost caldweel and nickels.

6. East- i think they might surprise some people this year. Good young team

7. South- LOST A TON, not sure how campbell will react to being the go to now.

8. Volunteer- might pull an upset or two this year. could see them going to 7

9. Crockett- simply just need some help. Who are their feeder schools?

I think DB has the best shot of winning the reg. and tournament. They are a balanced team if their young guards can improve. They already have the best inside game in the league with Forlich and Osborne.

THS -Has too much drama and cliquish control out of the junior players (rising seniors) to become a top contender

for the conference. Younger player will not make a difference because of rising serior control. Coach will let

them rule!!!!! Never go past region as long as this occurs.

THS -Has too much drama and cliquish control out of the junior players (rising seniors) to become a top contender

for the conference. Younger player will not make a difference because of rising serior control. Coach will let

them rule!!!!! Never go past region as long as this occurs.

Indians will dominate.