How do you get refs fired?

Bieda

How do you get refs who are chosing sides and playing the game unequally and unfair? Whats the point in playing the game if the game is already picked the winner? Can we record a game and send it in or something to prove it or what? Plus I want to know who gives these guys their license?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

How do you get refs who are chosing sides and playing the game unequally and unfair? Whats the point in playing the game if the game is already picked the winner? Can we record a game and send it in or something to prove it or what? Plus I want to know who gives these guys their license?

which game?

your coach can request the ref in question to not be on any of your games, but if scheduled already you have to pay him and the new ref

but with that said I know there are refs who come in with a preconcieved notion against one team or the other you just have to play the game

A player may only have to deal with this for a few years, the coach must continue to deal with the problem. Once there is a prenotion about a team, it may say with them for while. Request it to the assigner before the season, but there is a shortage of refs. Don't make things worse, cause it could get worse. GL

A player may only have to deal with this for a few years, the coach must continue to deal with the problem. Once there is a prenotion about a team, it may say with them for while. Request it to the assigner before the season, but there is a shortage of refs. Don't make things worse, cause it could get worse. GL

I thought refs were supposed to not come to the game with any preconcieved notions and i think that there is way to much of that that goes on especially at the schools with less educated fans I think the refs come in to prove something

I know there is always going to be a problem with refs, but the best thing you can do is play or coach your game. Because you mess up, but the ref doesn't ask to fire you or try to correct you. That's the way I look at it. When you play or coach a perfect game, maybe then you can ask the ref to ref a perfect game.

Ever watch American Idol? (Stay with me, there is a point.) You can usually tell who the judges' favorites are. Do they always win? No. Do they tend to do well? Yes, because the judges tend to pick the better singers as favorites. Still, if the favorite messes up, Simon lets them know it.

Now the point. I think refs have favorite teams and teams they particularly dislike. Will this influence their calls? Some, sure. Will it decide the game? Not likely.

The problem I've always seen comes from players (and coaches) not being able to deal with the (perceived) inequality. One or two "missed" calls put the team on the hunt for injustice. If you look for it, you can find it in any game. (Watch a game you don't care about on television and tell yourself the ref prefers the blue team; you'll find injustice.) Then everyone gets frustrated, the players start fouling more, the coach yells at the ref more, the fans cuss and call an optometrist, and now the ref can't help but make the calls and start pulling cards left and right. Is it a self-fulfilling prophecy? Maybe, but the slighted team certainly didn't do much to help matters, did they?

The best advice is to keep calm. A team that is respectful to the ref (even when he has a bad game) will eventually become a ref favorite, if not for this ref then others to come. Which side of things would you rather be on?

what's the point in playing the game if it's been decided? Don't. There will be other kids that want to play.

Also, don't waste your batteries filming. There is an Assigner for each region, (Chatt, Knox, Nash, etc.) Ask the next official or your coach who the assigner is for your region, his email address will be remarkably easy to uncover.

Email chapter and verse, tell the assigner every slight, (real and percieved) and every "bad" call. I know for a fact, MY assigner particularly enjoys getting rambling, poorly structured missives about the acumen (or lack thereof) of his referees.

As a coach, I tell my players to let the referee's referee and players play. If they believe the game is being called against them, play harder, it is in THEIR power to win against all odds, great opponants, bad officials, cold, rain, lousy pitches..., this is Soccer, not baseball.

As a referee there are coaches I don't like, it happens. Mostly I decline their games. If I take one, I take the fan side instead of the bench. There are coaches that don't like me. It happens. I do my best.

I realize that most players and coaches (and parents) know more about soccer than I do; they're just too busy to be referees and use that valuable knowledge for the betterment of the game.

If you are a referee, when you step on the pitch 100% of the people present; players, coaches and fans do not like you. If you are successful, 50% do not like you a little less.

At ease, I'll be in the area all day.

You guys are so critical about refs maybe you guys should take the classes and become one! Here are some links to get you started to help!

http://www.tssaa.org/Officials/testinginstructions.htm

http://www.tssaa.org/Officials/examintro.htm

I'll be curious as to how many of you parents sign up to become a TSSAA official. I'll go out on a limb here and say ZERO /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

If anyone has ever tried to be a ref, you'll realize it's a very hard (and often unthanked) job. Maybe refs do come into games with preconceiced ideas. Maybe they just make bad calls. I've always been told to let them call the game. Of course you should contest calls but not overzealously. Don't give the ref even more reason to make calls against you. keep your head and play the game. And remember, Great teams overcome great obstactles