KNOXVILLE AREA POST SEASON

underdog4

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Catholic looks very good in A/AA, should make a strong run for the gold, but never count out CAK.

In AAA, you'd have to say Farragut and West will be there, with Bearden still in search of the right chemistry, apparently.

No serious contender in Division II, unfortunately.

what about alcoa, pigeon forge, and carter

I think they can contend with CAK and catholic

Alcoa, Carter, possibly even Seymour with an outstanding night might give CAK a run for it's money this season (due to the fact that Big G has lost two key individual performers), but Catholic remains relatively healthy and that means those teams with two or three stars just aren't going to be deep enough. Seriously, does anyone remember the last time those two (Catholic or CAK) didn't have eleven solid players. The rest of them have holes that Catholic will undoubtably exploit as soon as they locate it. Shoot........my district(4A) wins the State every year because they(Cath + CAK) have done a good job putting themselves in the best situation to succeed /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> , and until they go somewhere else that isn't going to change any time soon. Come on, we can kid ourselves into believing they are beatable at this level, but the proof is in the pudding! /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" /> Does that mean I hate Catholic or CAK? Far from it....I sort of admire the way they have "low-keyed" their existence on this level with phrases like, "You have an outstanding eleven" or "You gave us a great match" /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> (I once heard that one after a 7 - nil loss and we only had ONE shot on goal) /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" /> The truth is Catholic and CAK can routinely compete with Farragut, Bearden, and other schools significantly larger than them because they get (some how?) elite players every year. Maybe if we could "pipeline" exchange students from Brazil, Germany, and Mexico into our schools every year we could give them a contest in which we felt we gave them a great match! (Does Loudon do that? /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> ) Odds are again this year that the crown will fall on Catholic or CAK's Head, I'm personnally betting on the Irish!

Kazzitoro

Kaz, that kind of thinking is dangerous if Catholic or CAK actually adopt it in their minds. As soon as one gets complacent, this allows an opportunity for a team like Alcoa, Seymour, Carter (to name just a few) to bring their best and overcome the "odds". I can tell you that knowing those coaches, they are pushing to win, not playing not to lose.

Alcoa has given us an incredibly close match the last 2 years in regions. Coach Gorman has ALWAYS had them mentally ready for a match. I am a firm believer than passion and agression CAN overcome talent. Not always, not most times, but it happens.

Yes, CAK has lost 2 key players, but what is more dangerous to lose is that passion for the game, the drive for excellence. While CAK lost to West, those people who came to the game can tell you that the passion was there, especially in the first 30 minutes. That's what I care about. If we play our best, and lose, I will be the first one to shake the hands of the other team, and wish them the best of luck in the playoffs.

Knoxville is just a hotbed for soccer right now. Don't really know the reasons that it has lasted this long (usually it lasts 2-3 years across the state). Will it continue? I can't say. I know that CCS, CPA, Notre Dame, Pigeon Forge and some other teams have a lot of talent. Things could change. I guess we will find out on May 24th!

Knoxville is just a hotbed for soccer right now. Don't really know the reasons that it has lasted this long (usually it lasts 2-3 years across the state). Will it continue? I can't say.

There are some good coaches guiding those powerhouse teams, that is also a factor in Knoxville being a hotbed right now. BigG demonstrated why CAK has won 5 in a row, you can't take anyone for granted, you must play with a sense of urgency at all times. I know he will have his team ready at tournament time, and he better the teams behind CAK and Catholic in their district are good and can sneak up on them if the boys aren't ready.

I believe one of the previous posts made an accurate point, until someone knocks them off, the big four in west Knoxville have to be the favorites. Bearden, Farragut, Catholic and CAK.

G, it is dangerous thinking, but you have players that conform to your knowledge based on the fact that what you teach is very successful at this level. I would think your tactical thinking is very in line with the various clubs that your players play for in the off-season. These kids have all been exposed to various high levels of play well before you get them. Whereas, these other schools we are mentioning might, with a lot of luck, have maybe 5 possibly 6 players that get the same type of exposure. Alcoa, as you mentioned, has probably come the closest to nipping you in the post-season. (by the way, in any sport, close is still a loss!) Consequently, they probably have the highest number of commitments to playing club ball in the off-season. And Coach Gorman is a very good coach, which works in their favor, too. Still, IF they beat you......most people, with much soccer knowledge, will say that your team didn't play up to it's potential that night. As opposed to Alcoa being superior on the pitch.

In any case, things aren't highly likely to change any time soon, IMO. Eight years or so ago I had what is argueable the best team my school had ever assembled. 6 club players that played year round, two of the most athletic strikers in East Tennessee, a solid goalie with a .067 goals against average(11 shut outs), and plenty of depth. That team lost 3 to 2 in extra time to an average CAK in the region finals. (I say average CAK team because they did not win the State that season) Even you will admit Platerillo (misspelled) was an exceptional coach, huh. We didn't lose that day because we didn't have enough passion or talent, they found a weakness we couldn't hide without giving up another area to them. Quality players throughout your line-up are indespensable. I don't think most schools you beat can reasonable do that from year to year. Knoxville is King.....especially the Farragut?West Knoxville Area!

/thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> Kazzito /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />