How Coaches Pick All District Players by MrNoitALL

MrNoitAll

In 2006, WV tied Rhea for third but dropped to fourth in the seeding because of run differential. WV made it to the championship game and lost to the #1 seed on a 3 run HR in the bottom of the 7th with 2 outs and 2 strikes. That year the other coaches voted 1 player to the all district team with the 5th and 6th seeds getting more players.

In 2007, WV tied Rhea for 2nd but once again dropped a seeding for the tournament because of run differential. This time WV got 4 players voted in by the other coaches. Rhea got less and the coach from Rhea told everyone that the WV coach black balled her and her players even though he voted on several of her players for all district and best of preps.

This year Rhea was the number 1 seed and WV was the #2. Rhea had 3 voted on with one being the co-mvp and WV had 4 voted on the team. Once again, this was voted on by the other coaches. No one has been black balled in this district and to make those accusations is childish and reckless. Rhea has a great new coach and a loaded team.

Best of luck to them in the tournament and quit blaming someone just because that was what Eldridge told everyone. Best of luck to Rhea in the region. Represent the district well.

First of all Congrats to Rhea County for winning last night.

All I wanted to do was to allow the truth to come out and I realize that people are entitled to their opinions, but I do want to add a couple of truths here before I let this go...

The reason that RC had fewer girls was because the WV and Cleveland coaches voted that way. Explain to me how a girl hitting .250 on a number 5 team deserves to be voted over the girl that is on the number 3 team and hitting .380? That is what doesn??™t make sense. When the WV coach was confronted on this, he couldn??™t believe that the votes were sent out and had no foot to stand on because it was there in black and white. I am not being "childish and reckless"; I just want others to understand how the voting system can work. Let me make sure that I make this clear...the reason I brought this up was because it is about the GIRLS! Sometimes they need a voice. I was a player myself and when you work hard and have the numbers to deserve this kind of recognition and don't get it due to the lack of votes (which make no sense and are not even comparable) that is hard to swallow. It is a team game and RC winning the district is overall the most important thing...if someone doesn't deserve the awards I will be the first to admit it...but like MrNoitall said earlier...it is unheard of to have a team that is lower in standings with more girls on all district...

Oh...one more thing...rumor (and I do use that word to show I do know the difference in rumor and truth) was that several girls from the schools involved in this so called "black ball" confirmed this story to some RC girls this summer. Again...rumor...but it is pretty bad when the players admit it happened and were ashamed.

Go Lady Eagles!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All I wanted to do was to allow the truth to come out and I realize that people are entitled to their opinions, but I do want to add a couple of truths here before I let this go...

The reason that RC had fewer girls was because the WV and Cleveland coaches voted that way. Explain to me how a girl hitting .250 on a number 5 team deserves to be voted over the girl that is on the number 3 team and hitting .380? That is what doesn??™t make sense. When the WV coach was confronted on this, he couldn??™t believe that the votes were sent out and had no foot to stand on because it was there in black and white. I am not being "childish and reckless"; I just want others to understand how the voting system can work. Let me make sure that I make this clear...the reason I brought this up was because it is about the GIRLS! Sometimes they need a voice. I was a player myself and when you work hard and have the numbers to deserve this kind of recognition and don't get it due to the lack of votes (which make no sense and are not even comparable) that is hard to swallow. It is a team game and RC winning the district is overall the most important thing...if someone doesn't deserve the awards I will be the first to admit it...but like MrNoitall said earlier...it is unheard of to have a team that is lower in standings with more girls on all district...

Oh...one more thing...rumor (and I do use that word to show I do know the difference in rumor and truth) was that several girls from the schools involved in this so called "black ball" confirmed this story to some RC girls this summer. Again...rumor...but it is pretty bad when the players admit it happened and were ashamed.

Go Lady Eagles!!!!!!!!!

Very well put! I hope now parents understand how all district is play out by the coaches. I know one coach who has put the daughter of a school board member on the team because the school board member gave his daughter a job and he has return the favor! Yep it is all about the girls or maybe I should say to some coaches it is about keeping your job and making school board members happy! /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

Mrnoitall, District 6AA is a prime example of what you are saying. The coaches pick the players from their respective teams to be on the all tournament team. In our case, Marion County, we had 3 upperclassmen put on the team who were a combined 7-40 in the district tournament. Yet we had two underclassmen who were a combined 10-26 with 4 runs, 8 rbi's not make the team. It just doesn't make any sense to me. Its not right for those girls who work their tails off and repeatedly don't get any recognition. Granted those are the only upperclassmen on the team and maybe coach wants them to be recognized to end two of their careers, but they should put it on the field.

WOW BigJ. I take it your "little darlin" didn't make the team.

I wasn't at the tournament. I, unfortunately, was out of town and missed the entire district tournament. I made it to about half the games this year so I won't even attempt to list my picks for the all district team. I don't have a kid on the team, so there's no DAD spewing out of my mouth.

I'm guessing the upperclassmen you're referring to would be the 2 seniors and the 1 junior. Three GOOD young ladies that have worked their tails off just as much as your picks.

I, by no means, am going to get on here say that "The Coach" did everything right this year. I will however say that he has shown more dedication, cared more and tried harder than any "Head Coach" that team has had in a very long time.

And before you say it... I'm not talking about the work he did on the field. That has nothing to do with coaching.

I've talked to him several times and he seems like a level headed guy. Have you tried talking to him face to face? If you have, I'll say no more. If you haven't, and you're still on here spewing all this "JUNK", quite your crying and act like a man.

Go Lady Eagles!!!!!!!!!

Obviously you wouldn't know truth because you are only going on what you heard. The Walker Valley coach asked the Rhea coach after the game if something was up because she had been acting different all night. This is the same coach that had always gotten along fine with the coach from WV and had played H.S. ball with his wife. Then she starts going off about him black balling her players and not voting for them. He had no foot to stand on because this was the first he had heard of her outlandish accusations. After explaining that he had voted for several of her players she pulls out a copy of his votes which had her players on there. However, cross examination of all the votes would show that some of their players didn't get enough votes from the other schools as well. He was shocked that this wasn't discussed at the meeting when everyone voted and anyone could have looked at the votes and made comment in front of the group. These are untrue accusations and the coach for Rhea needed someone to blame. No one ever talked about black balling any team, coach or player. This has gone on long enough. Rhea has finished higher than WV the last two seasons. Enjoy it and quit slandering someone that you do not even know. She is gone, her assumptions were wrong but her story lives on. You have a great new coach and a great team. Best of luck at the region tournament.

I have been coaching for a long time and I have NEVER heard of a team that did not win district get less players than a team that finished below them. /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

I am a Mt. Juliet fan and was at the final game in our district tournament.

Here is a scenario... Mt. Juliet won the district and was runner-up in the tournament and placed 5 on the All-district team.

Beech, who waxed our tail finished runner-up in the district and won the tournament placed 3 on the district team.

Here's my point...Wilson Central finished 3rd in the district and 3rd in the tournament and placed 4 on the district team.

This is a little bit to your point. I guess sometimes it don't matter where you place...either Wilson Central simply had better players than the Beech group and finished behind them in every aspect and put more players on the district team, or, the other coaches just simply voted FOR the W.C. players.

That may not make a lot of sense but I hope you get my point. Lower finishing teams sometimes DO place more players on these sort of teams than higher seated teams.

Other than reading this post on this subject i though that the all-district players were nominated and then selected by a vote of all coaches. But it all makes sense now that what I read in the knox news. How in the world did Oneida get so many girls on the team. How did their coach justify that if he was the one that puts them on. Oh well, whatever. All i have to say is if these kids were chosen for a team for competition,,,,,,seeya,,,,,,,wouldn't wanta be ya. Attitude is a book that every one around us reads and makes determiniation on what type person you are.

All from the way one acts. /ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ph34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" />

First, if you are going to critizie someone, get their name right...it was Coach Eldredge. My second question would be if you were the same person who stood up for her two years ago?

Third...I am glad they have a good coach this year. Those girls deserve someone who will coach the team and not individuals based on what parents want (or how much weight they think they can throw around)

One more question...what was Rhea County's schedule her freshman year? How many games did they play? Who was their competition? Now...what was their schedule her junior and senior year? What was that level of competition? And remember...the stats for all district come from the district only. I happen to be a few Rhea county games and I can name three players right now who always had a better showing than this particular player. But hey...her dad wanted to have her fired for not doing what he wanted...good ole parent network.

I know that is what I called coach eldredge was coach elder back when she was there because the grey streak in her hair and it made her look older. If she still reads this stuff she probably knows who I am. I stood up for nobody when that was going on. I support my friends and the rest of the players on the team but that was about it. I didn't even want to get involved in that. That was so messed up I stayed out of it and I had bigger things to worry about back then. Your right though the girls deserve someone who can coach on an individual basis and on a team level, and now they have that. It obviously has payed off with a district regular season title and tournament title. Congradulations girls on that! As for the schedule question I guess I can dig up the information on the past 4 years. I was at my fair share of softball games too along with baseball, tennis, and track meets this spring. But I agree there are girls on this years team that can out play her now. Oh yeah I know Eldredge and him didn't see eye to eye. That I think he was still a little mad about Crowder leaving. Crowder and Eldredge were two totally differnent coaches and he liked Crowder more than Eldredge. That is about the extent of that.

I know that is what I called coach eldredge was coach elder back when she was there because the grey streak in her hair and it made her look older. If she still reads this stuff she probably knows who I am. I stood up for nobody when that was going on. I support my friends and the rest of the players on the team but that was about it. I didn't even want to get involved in that. That was so messed up I stayed out of it and I had bigger things to worry about back then. Your right though the girls deserve someone who can coach on an individual basis and on a team level, and now they have that. It obviously has payed off with a district regular season title and tournament title. Congradulations girls on that! As for the schedule question I guess I can dig up the information on the past 4 years. I was at my fair share of softball games too along with baseball, tennis, and track meets this spring. But I agree there are girls on this years team that can out play her now. Oh yeah I know Eldredge and him didn't see eye to eye. That I think he was still a little mad about Crowder leaving. Crowder and Eldredge were two totally differnent coaches and he liked Crowder more than Eldredge. That is about the extent of that.

I have always heard that Crowder was the best coach that Rhea County has ever had! If you do not believe that just ask him! /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

I have always heard that Crowder was the best coach that Rhea County has ever had! If you do not believe that just ask him!

Crowder "in his opinion" is the best coach any school has ever had. He can give you win/lose stats on every sport he ever coached. To hear him talk, and he did a lot of it, Rhea County was lucky to have him. My "opinion" is that Rhea County should be LUCKY he is gone.

Congratulations Rhea County Softball on the schools first ever 1st place in District play (9-1) and 1st place in the tournament (3-0). It would be nice to see more support for those girls. I believe they need to make some room at RCHS in that trophy case for a picture of the team. Since it is FULL OF FIRSTS!