11-A: Who was the jerk?

rdk4257

Who was the classless fool who yelled "third place" at Burchell when she was selected as the District 11-A softball season MVP?

That was about as low as you can go and just a complete lack of class.

There is no doubt that Cornersville has the best team in the district this season, but there is also no doubt in my mind that Burchell is the best player this season.

That is why you will see her on ESPN in the College World Series in a couple of years. I don't see anybody else from 11-A going to a school like Tennessee, much less the defending national runner-up and SEC champion.

Whoever did that is a sorry lowlife who took away from their team's accomplishments. I don't know who that person was a "fan" of, but that school should ban them for the rest of the season until they learn some class.

I know some of the Richland fans were yelling at the umps because of the no-call on a possible interference situation, but it is totally different when you are yelling at the players themselves (and an individual, no less), especially during an awards ceremony.

If I were the girls from Richland or Cornersville, I would be mortified by that. It took away from their championship game performance.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it was a guy wearing a little black mask and picks losers.....

I do not think anyone but you Cascade11 would have any doubt where I was last night! Watching the Mighty Wildkitten get eaten by CC! /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

Whoever did that is a sorry lowlife who took away from their team's accomplishments.

If I were the girls from Richland or Cornersville, I would be mortified by that. It took away from their championship game performance.

Sure it was classless remark from what appeared to be a large group of teenage boys on the hill behind home plate, and I loved how Shelby gave them a little stare to prove that point. However, in no way did it take anything away from the girls from Richland and Cornersville. I don't think they even paid any attention to it. I thought both teams showed great sportmanship and class throughout the game considering the rivalry and the large amount umpire "encouragement" shown by both sets of fans throughout the game. Cornersville benefited from the no call on the interference and Richland benefited on the call at 1st in the 1st inning and a call at third later in the game. So in reality the close calls balanced each other out.

Sure it was classless remark from what appeared to be a large group of teenage boys on the hill behind home plate, and I loved how Shelby gave them a little stare to prove that point. However, in no way did it take anything away from the girls from Richland and Cornersville. I don't think they even paid any attention to it. I thought both teams showed great sportmanship and class throughout the game considering the rivalry and the large amount umpire "encouragement" shown by both sets of fans throughout the game. Cornersville benefited from the no call on the interference and Richland benefited on the call at 1st in the 1st inning and a call at third later in the game. So in reality the close calls balanced each other out.

Both teams played great and with class and Richland did a great job hosting the tournament. Glad to see Richland thought enough of the all-season and all-tourny players to give plaques instead of paper certificate like Cornersville did last year. I think the only plaque last year was for "Coach of the Year" and that went to Cornersville's coach who finished 3rd place with the most talent. That same jerk from last night should have been yelling "3rd Place" then.

Both teams played great and with class and Richland did a great job hosting the tournament. Glad to see Richland thought enough of the all-season and all-tourny players to give plaques instead of paper certificate like Cornersville did last year. I think the only plaque last year was for "Coach of the Year" and that went to Cornersville's coach who finished 3rd place with the most talent. That same jerk from last night should have been yelling "3rd Place" then.

Although I do not know who made the third place comment, but I am sure it was a kid. I personally heard kids (including players) making comments about other players, teams, or fans that I consider extremely inappropriate. I don't think teenagers always realize that they may be outside, but many people are in ear shot of what they are saying. The scary thing is that this is just another sign of how we are raising our children with a lack of respect of themselves and others.

I am not sure about the certificate thing from last year. I honestly do not remember who won Coach of the Year, but I can tell you that if Cornersville's coach won, I was not aware of it. It wasn't something I heard anybody talk about. Of course, we were all a little distracted by the abrupt end of a great season!

You are correct about the importance of being chosen to either the All Season or All Tournament Teams. It is one thing to have a good game, but to carry that level of performance throughout the season (no matter how you feel on a given day) takes a lot of work and is something to be proud of.

I am glad that each team gets some representation, but it is very hard to stand out enough on a talented team for all the other coaches to vote for you. (I assume that is how it is handled.) I just feel like you could end up with some kids making it over more talented players because of the team they are on. I have no suggestion on how to correct this issue, it's just something I always think about.

Coach of the Year awards in most districts automatically go to the regular season champs. Plus the certificate or trophy thing would have been decided on by the district head coaches as a group not just whoever hosts the tourneys. That stuff costs quite a bit and has to be paid for out of the tourney gate.

I think the Southern Force Gold (IL). It will allow her and Ivy Renfroe to play together (who also committed to play w/Southern Force Gold and UT).

Shelby is playing with Southern Force Gold and Ivy Renfroe will be playing there also. Congratulations to Shelby on MVP honors!!

Coach of the Year awards in most districts automatically go to the regular season champs. Plus the certificate or trophy thing would have been decided on by the district head coaches as a group not just whoever hosts the tourneys. That stuff costs quite a bit and has to be paid for out of the tourney gate.

Your absolutely right and that is what should be paid for out of the gate money. That and the officials, if a school wants to host a tournament that should just be a cost you have to assume. If you don't want to assume that cost then pass, let the next school in line host. Don't give out paper certificates and turn money back into the schools that will never be put back into the softball programs, reward the kids.

tnfisher you are also right about the coach of the year. It usually to the regular season champion which is obviously a point overlooked by the jerk in the crowd last night because Burchell got MVP for the season and CA didn't finish third in the regular season. From where I was standing, I looked were the comment came from and it wasn't a kid.

Your absolutely right and that is what should be paid for out of the gate money. That and the officials, if a school wants to host a tournament that should just be a cost you have to assume. If you don't want to assume that cost then pass, let the next school in line host. Don't give out paper certificates and turn money back into the schools that will never be put back into the softball programs, reward the kids.

tnfisher you are also right about the coach of the year. It usually to the regular season champion which is obviously a point overlooked by the jerk in the crowd last night because Burchell got MVP for the season and CA didn't finish third in the regular season. From where I was standing, I looked were the comment came from and it wasn't a kid.

The comment that was made was not sportsmanlike but if we would like to start talking about bad sportsmanship what is the difference in what happend last night compared to newspapers being held up when Cornersville's basketball players are being called out? THere was also a dress up like an -ex coach from CA (who is now at Cornersville) and i believe Burchell was there for both of these deeds