New TSSAA Requirements for Medical Evaluation

DonCChatt

A new State law went into effect May 1st, and will effect Girl's soccer. I received this in an email from our coach:

RE: Important New TSSAA Information for Student Athletes

Dear Parents,

Due to the increasing number of injuries and deaths associated with athletic participation, not only in Tennessee but nationwide, the state of Tennessee has enacted a new law (T.C.A. 49-6-5001) requiring that all participants in school sports receive a comprehensive physical each year. The law went into effect May 1, 2008.

In response to the new law, the TSSAA has produced a new physical form for use by member schools. Effective immediately, the new form is the only form that will be accepted for participation in athletics. Students who are currently participating in a spring sport are not affected by this new law; however, any student who participates in any sport during the summer and next school year will be required to submit the new form prior to participation. No exceptions will be made.

Please do not wait until the last minute to schedule a physical for your child. This new form is more comprehensive and will definitely require a physician visit. No participation, including practice, will be allowed until the approved physical forms have been completed and submitted to the Student Health Services office.

http://www.tssaa.org/Forms/Health/med01.doc

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Recently, I downloaded the new TSSA Physical form. At first I was overwhelmed with the fact of it being 4 pages. I sat down and started looking at the forms. The History Form needs to fill out by the parent and student. The Physical Evaluation Form is for the physcian. The Clearance Form needs two boxes checked and the physcians signature. This needs to be done twice on this form. The Emergency Treatment form is for the parents signature. Really it's more time consuming for the parent than the physcian.

When your child has their sports physical, you need to only take the Physical Evaluation Form and Clearance Form. The new form is not as bad as it first appears. A trip to the doctors office is not necessary if your school provides a sports physical at the school by a MD. /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

The State Board of Education passed the legislation requiring the "New" Physical for next year. This only effects kids entering the 7th and 9th grades (IN PUBLIC SCHOOLS ONLY). These kids will in fact have to go to a physicians office to get their physical. It is likely that this will become a TSSAA change by next year as well.

As far as this new form...Since it has shown up within the last week, I do not see how they can expect kids to use this form considering many schools have already done their mass physicals and many others have already visited the doctor to get their physical.

We received no wiggle room despite already having the original form completed. Upon receiving the "new" form, we returned to the doctor's office again.

Yes, you are correct, we simply dropped off the form..no need to go through the process again. Our daughters pediatrician actually does know them by name and was not simply filling out a form. He looks out for their best interest each and every visit and completed the form from the visit just prior. I would think most physicians would.

RE- the ETOH, DRUGS & ROIDS....if any of those players suffer an event, especially if it is the result of "juicing", then the school will be somewhat "released" of liability by the student signing a form stating that they don't.

As an aside, if every sport was held up one week across the state to save the life of one student, I would think that would be a Good Thing.

Thanks for your heads up on this matter. It's all about the kids.

• 5 weeks later...

The TSAA sent out a memo to schools this week stating that they would accept the standard physical from years past for the upcoming year. It appears that they realized that the decision was made a little to late in the game. They will accept the old and new forms, along with the healthy child physical once required for 7th and 9th graders.

Ahhh.... Thank you!