region 2a

Took

If you look at only A sports at Wartburg and exclude AA Football

Boys Basketball Won Dist 4A about 6 out of the last 10 times (State Quarters)

Girls Basketball Won Dist 4A 2 years ago and Region 2A This year (State Quarters)

Boys Baseball Won Dist 4A this year & will compete again next year. 36-19 over the last 2 years

The point is when you take in to consideration classification, enrollment size, and recruiting actions Wartburg could be a top 10-15 program in A. As far as Regions 1 and 2 I'd put them in the top 5-8 in East TN.

Nobody said anything about them being able to compete with Oak Ridge! Thats absurd to even compare the two.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top 10 sports programs in East Tn? Top 10 in state in basketball and baseball? What you smoking? Let me just throw a few schools out there in East Tn. Alcoa, Oak Ridge, Maryville, Farragut, Bearden, Anderson County, Oneida, Webb, Catholic, Fulton, Austin East, Powell, Halls, Harriman, Loudon, Rockwood, Sweetwater, Lenoir City, and the list goes on and on and on. I won't even respond to the top 10 in the state comment. The support should be there for Wartburg. Isn't the director of schools the daddy of the Wartburg girls coach? This has to be the funniest post I've ever read. I am the first to say I'm glad you beat Coalfield, but don't go overboard with a couple of wins in baseball.

On your list Harriman, Oneida, and Rockwood are the only A schools! So you need to find 7 more in East TN to put the dogs out of the top 10.

Why does everything about wartburg relate to the director of schools? What kind of advantage does that give their program? I know for a fact more is spent from the central office on Coalfield, Oakdale, PJ, and Sunbright than has ever been spent at Wartburg. We have things because we work for them. Booster Clubs etc. Ask_Me you seem to have a real problem with the director and his family. I still say you should go talk to Coach D about it. It would be very entertaining for us to see!

Didn't see where they said in their class. They have a good basketball program, baseball is average and the football, well I won't go there. Let me throw you ten single A schools that are better in sports all the way around than Wartburg. Oneida, Rockwood, Harriman, Unaka, Hampton, Greenback, Oliver Springs, University School, Lookout Valley, South Pittsburgh, Coalfield, Midway and Cosby.

u tell me which one of those schools has won their district 4 out of past 5 years and during that time went to state, and sub-state 2 times.. but anyways this topic is over baseball and I'm sayin no more bout anyother sport. GO DOGS! BEAT Harriman!

Ask_Me,

Dad hasn't hit a baseball in a long time! But if they'ld let him I bet he could still get 25 and 15 on the hardwood! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> But his last contribution to the sports program in Wartburg came in 1969 /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> . I don't see how his being director helps or hurts us in athletics. Please enlighten me Ask_me!

Playermom,

Cool it just a little we aren't top ten......yet! Just sit back and enjoy the games /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

Good Job Coach Coker! Play Hard Today Boys!

Go Dogs!

u tell me which one of those schools has won their district 4 out of past 5 years and during that time went to state, and sub-state 2 times.. but anyways this topic is over baseball and I'm sayin no more bout anyother sport. GO DOGS! BEAT Harriman!

Ok, here goes.

Rockwood- Boys basketball: Sub-state 3 of the past 6 years. State once.

Baseball: Over the past 10 years, they've had on of the best Single A programs in the state. Public OR private. Missed state only twice in the past 8 years. Enough said.

University High- Boys basketball: Sub-state 4 of the past 6 years. 3 Region titles in the past 6 years. Made the state semifinals twice in the past 6 years.

Baseball: Made sub-state 4 of the past 6 years. State semi finals once in the past six years.

Softball: This will be the 1st time they haven't made it to sub-state since at least 1999. 5 Region titles since 2002.

Unaka- Boys basketball: Steak of 10 conference championships broke just last year. 3 District and Region titles in the past 7 years. 3 times to state in th past 7 years. Won the ONLY state championsip won by ANY single A school east of Chattanogga in the past in the past decade.

Girls basketball: 1st year they haven't made at least sub-state since 2001

Baseball: Hadn't lost a District championship before this year since at least 1998. Still have a chance to make it 6 Region titles in a row. 5 straight trips to state.

Softball: Arguably the BEST overall Single A public program in the State. Since the program's inception in the late 70's or early 80's, they've had 25+ conferance titles, 20+ district titles, just as many region titles, I think 9 or 10 state apperences, and made it to the semi-finals 4, maybe 5 times. I can't remember the last time they haven't made it to sub-state, at least 15 years.

Harriman- Boys basketball: Have had a strong and consistant program over the past 6-8 years.

Baseball: Sub-state 3 of the past 6 years. State once.

Ok now. Lets look at Wartburg- Boys Basketball: Won District 4 of the past 7 years. Two substates, two states.

Girls basketball: Sub-state in 2004 and 2008. State in 2008. Other than that, NOTHING.

Baseball: Pulled a few upsets and won District this year. Other than that, NOTHING.

Softball: NOTHING.

i understand that, but wartburg is a very talented team, they are well coached, i understand that people think harriman is the better team, but wartburg beat them once and i dont see why they cant beat them again. i think wartburg is a better team then people give them creadit for, i pick them making it to sub-state if not state. i also think coming off the loss to wartburg that coalfield will beat rockwood so we may have another district 4-a championship game again.

well nostrodomus, you're 0-2 on your picks so far. would you like to go for three in a row. maybe you should Gogetta a football and work on makin the playoff cause your done with baseball my friend. no one gives them credit because up until a few days ago they had no hardware. coalfield out played rockwood tonight. the better team DID win, but not sure if they deserved to.

Took, you obviously didnt attend the game. Phil shut down harriman the whole game. They had maybe 3 legit hits, and he pitched with his heart. Errors crept up and got Wartburg tonight. It's a shame cause you could tell the boys really wanted to win. Ask Harriman, they shouldnt have won that game tonight. But not to take anything away from harriman, Johnson threw a very good game, and they kept puttin the ball in play. If i counted right Harriman hit 4 balls outta the infield and two were fly outs. So i wouldnt say gogetta's pick wasnt a bad one. But good luck to both harriman and Rockwood. I hope they both go to state.

Took, you obviously didnt attend the game. Phil shut down harriman the whole game. They had maybe 3 legit hits, and he pitched with his heart. Errors crept up and got Wartburg tonight. It's a shame cause you could tell the boys really wanted to win. Ask Harriman, they shouldnt have won that game tonight. But not to take anything away from harriman, Johnson threw a very good game, and they kept puttin the ball in play. If i counted right Harriman hit 4 balls outta the infield and two were fly outs. So i wouldnt say gogetta's pick wasnt a bad one. But good luck to both harriman and Rockwood. I hope they both go to state.

I have seen harriman play 5 times this year and in those games they had one homerun and one good hard hit liner to right center for a single. Every other hit they got in those games (and they had a ton) were all bloopers over the infield, well placed rollers between infielders and bunts! Harriman is not a team that bashes the ball but they can flat out get on base with an assortment of the above mentioned types of hits and they keep their opponents on their heals and if you make a mistake they will make you pay. Also, errors are what separate the championship teams from the pretenders. Coalfield made an error that cost them an upset win tonight also. If you want to make it to the state championship contender level you have to make the routine plays.

I think both pitchers pitched their hearts out. I think both teams also REALLY wanted to win! Harriman has not hit the ball good in several weeks, but they don't give up. They do have players that are very capable of hitting, but the whole team overall has been in a hitting slump. I would not go so far to say that Wartburg should have won tonight. I don't think Wartburg should have won the first time. I believe Harriman left around 22 runners on base and there were 3 or 4 extra innings played. Errors are usually the difference between a win and a loss. Of course these are only my opinions. My heart goes out to all the Wartburg players because they played their heart out. Good luck to Harriman and Rockwood because I know it will be a very interesting ball game. /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

One of the best games of the year....Coalfield and Rockwood! came down to the last out and coalfield couldn pull through. Coalfield won the game flat out and Rockwood knows it! It's just another day in the game of baseball!!

Coalfield did not win the game flat out. Did not make the plays when presented the opportunity. Rockwood took advantage and lives for another day.