Title IX

I'm not going to argue about this anymore.

I'm not arguing about Title IX, but rather putting numbers on it.

If you guys refuse to believe my information, thats fine...but I don't feel like arguing about it.

I wrote my senior research paper on Title IX and have written a few letters to the editor about Title IX.

I am against male sports that do not produce and take away from others as well...Let us please not argue about this.

There aren't to many facts about Title IX and the things that are wrong with it because who wants to write about that? It takes some guts to write what I wrote about, knowing that just about all girls aren't going to like it, many males that participate in sports that do not gain money (such as gymnastics). If you don't believe my sources thats fine...But taking away male scholarships that do produce revenue in order to reach status quotas for women does not seem right. I used that same information as well as information from other books for my research paper. Another classmate also did his on Title IX, neither one of us were accused of copying or cheating, and both of us received an A (133/135).

Once again, let me stress I wrote this because it deals with quotas, whether you support or are against Title IX does not matter as much because you can still see that gender equity is based more on numbers rather then what is right or wrong.

-By the way I said in the beginning I was in favor of Title IX in regards to the education amendments, so some of what you said doesn't pertain to this discussion.

-As far as donations go, The University of Memphis got around 4 million in donations last year I believe...That is for ATHLETICS ONLY...they probably receive more for academics through gifts or donations...

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is likely in vain since you are "done with this", but here it goes.

As in my last post, there was actually an increase in opportunites for male student atheletes. And that was with 37 football programs being dropped. Those programs were probably dropped for a number of reasons. Some of it could have had something to do with Title IX, but I doubt it had everything to do with it.

Title IX is there to give equal opportunities, not eliminate programs.

I think title 9 was a terrible attempt to do something good. it caused schools all over the country to drop programs that had men knocking down the door to get a scholarship so that they could add women's programs for which they have trouble filling rosters. i play lacrosse in college, and our team is in financial shambles because of title 9. we have 3.5 scholarships for 44 guys. the girls team, however, is fully funded, as well as the girls volleyball, soccer, cheerleading, and basketball teams. there wasn't a single girl on the lacrosse team who ran a mile in under 6:30, and there wasn't a single guy on our team who didn't. it's ridiculous. football scholarships should not be counted in the quota total because there isn't a girls sport to compare it to. also, it is technically a unisex sport because a few years ago a girl tried out to kick for duke, and a right now, there's a girl trying out to kick somewhere in PA. if she makes the team, then football scholarships shouldn't be included against title 9 because the sports is for men and women. i think they should just do away with title 9 all together, and have 1 football team, 1 basketball team, 1 soccer team, 1 swimming team, etc. all girls and guys will have an equal opportunity to try out, and they best players would make the team.