Clarksville Donehue

blankguy

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The rumor is true. The athletic director at Clarksville High School informed Coach Donahue that his services would no longer be needed after this season in a meeting yesterday. Tough way to go for a coach who's been in the same position for 25 years and is first on the list of career wins in Tennessee (355).

Still no word as to why? Unless he did something out of the ordinary I don't see how they could have let him go. I mean how is it that a new administration could figure out a "change" was needed but all of the previous ones never found a reason for it? Oh....that's right....maybe it was because the previous decision makers at the school had enough sense to realize that getting rid of a coach that was able to hang a new District Championship trophy in the school just about every year and only had 2 or 3 losing season in his 20+ year career would have been a stupid mistake. A state runnner up trophy in the display case wasn't too shabby either. And he did all this while teaching his players respect, hard work, and how to discipline themselves. And let's not forget how many of his players have gone on to be pretty successful after high school. Yeah...it sounds like Clarksville High needed "A CHANGE." <------Sarcasm intended.

This is pretty much appalling. I can think of no greater travesty in high school soccer in the past 20 years. He has run a clean program and for those of you who say that he "abused" some of his players (in reference to some of the messages on leafchronicle.com), you were probably either players who couldn't hack it, parents of players who couldn't hack it, or fans and or players of other teams who got shelled by some of his teams. Correction UPSGregg: he never had a losing season. I'm guessing that the athletic director has someone in mind and doesn't like a warhorse. Probably going to get someone spineless in there just like himself. I used to love Donahue talking in interviews about how "Momma don't drive the bus on this team." Sounds like this guy is probably going to allow the opposite. And I certainly do not want to hear anyone say that "I'm glad someone finally stood up to him." In his 26 year tenure he was straight up with everyone unless they were not. If they were not, then he had nothing to do with you, whether you were a player, coach, fan, administrator, or parent. Wait, I forgot: he didn't deal with parents. So congratulations Clarksville-Montgomery County School System. You have successfully destroyed a legacy and have thrown away one of the most solid rocks in that shamble of a school system since Chuck Babbcock. I don't ever send out sarcastic messages, but this makes me sick. That school system hasn't looked out for one coach or teacher in years.

Again, Congratulations. I predict that program within two years to be on the same level as Montgomery Central or Northwest. My condolances coach. If I were you I'd leave that school and go take that coach's job at Rossview.

This is pretty much appalling. I can think of no greater travesty in high school soccer in the past 20 years. He has run a clean program and for those of you who say that he "abused" some of his players (in reference to some of the messages on leafchronicle.com), you were probably either players who couldn't hack it, parents of players who couldn't hack it, or fans and or players of other teams who got shelled by some of his teams. Correction UPSGregg: he never had a losing season. I'm guessing that the athletic director has someone in mind and doesn't like a warhorse. Probably going to get someone spineless in there just like himself. I used to love Donahue talking in interviews about how "Momma don't drive the bus on this team." Sounds like this guy is probably going to allow the opposite. And I certainly do not want to hear anyone say that "I'm glad someone finally stood up to him." In his 26 year tenure he was straight up with everyone unless they were not. If they were not, then he had nothing to do with you, whether you were a player, coach, fan, administrator, or parent. Wait, I forgot: he didn't deal with parents. So congratulations Clarksville-Montgomery County School System. You have successfully destroyed a legacy and have thrown away one of the most solid rocks in that shamble of a school system since Chuck Babbcock. I don't ever send out sarcastic messages, but this makes me sick. That school system hasn't looked out for one coach or teacher in years.

Again, Congratulations. I predict that program within two years to be on the same level as Montgomery Central or Northwest. My condolances coach. If I were you I'd leave that school and go take that coach's job at Rossview.

So what are you saying about Montgomery Central exactly? Because I know you aren't putting them at the same level with Northwest. Would really like to hear some justification. Sorry to get off topic...but a low blow to my alma mater can't go untouched.

Fair enough. My apologies. My point is that stones can't be left unturned. This is a disgrace to coaches everwhere. It's my understanding that Mike Irby has resigned from Houston as well. I wonder to what that was do. Again no offense intended. I just want to see if anyone has any comments, good or bad about Coach Donahue. This is a great disservice to the architect of one of the state's most storied tutors.

Dave Donahue has been Bobby Knighted!

i do not know anything about the inside machinations of the montgomery co. school system. all i know is that coach donahue was a class act on the field. we played them up there in regions last season in my second year as a coach and he and i talked for about 30 minutes before the game and several minutes after the game. he is a true gentleman and treated me like a peer, even though i have 21 career victories and he has 300+.

THis was a great disservice to the Clarksville Proud and the whole State. In this politically correct world, no loger are the ones who hold you accountable for your actions needed........No obviously we we need someone who will make evryone happy and meake everyone feel good about themselves even if they are wrong. Coach Donahue raised MEN not boys and would be the first one to hold someone accountable, that is preparing you for life not a fairy tale. That is what Coach Donahue did, now seems that the Politically Correct have gotten to him. There is more than meets the eye here, but Coach Donahue is clean. I just wish he would openly defend himself, but at this time to maintain he has chosen not to YET!!!

CLARKSVILLE SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF THIS ACTION AGAINS A GREAT COACH!!!

So what are you saying about Montgomery Central exactly? Because I know you aren't putting them at the same level with Northwest. Would really like to hear some justification. Sorry to get off topic...but a low blow to my alma mater can't go untouched.

I'm sure the guy wasn't trying to offend anyone from Montgomery Central or Northwest but let's be real here. Neither Northwest or Montgomery Central have ever truly been able to compete with CHS. Montgomery Central has kept their matches within reason and even had some close games with them but, much like Northwest, has never beaten CHS. Northwest tied CHS once or twice in 20+ years but Montgomery Central hasn't even done that. IF they have I missed it. Montgomery Central is a respectable program in AA/A and at a point now where CHS can't just sleep walk the whole game and still win. The days of benching the starters halfway through the first half ended years ago but as long as MCHS has had a team CHS was sure to beat them as long as they took care of business.

With that said......the point is that CHS will probably lose that edge they had with Donahue as head coach. The edge that allowed them to beat teams that were probably just as good or even better than them. In the past you could rest assured that a Donahue coached team would be in the best physical condition they could be in and that they would play hard the whole game. That gave them an advantage over certain teams that were probably more talented then them. Just ask anyone that played for Northeast during the 1993 season. I have feeling that the new coach won't able to provide that advantage. It's hard to do so when the administration wants the team to be coddled instead of coached.