Riverdale-Blackman Region Photos

snapman

What dolphin8191 said is misleading. The coach used the word dang and not d**n. I have heard him say it that way many times. I personally think that the ref should not have given the red for the word toe It did hurt Blackman playing without number 3. It is over now and we should just let the Blackman folks handle it and not start dragging other players and coaches over the coals for every little thing they might have said or done. It is over now and we should just move on.

Well said!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well first off, if a player gets his foot stepped on and yells out the f bomb, do you think he should be disqualified?

or should he be disqualified if he gets his foot stepped on and yells out "f bomb YOU!" There is a difference.

In the former you can probably talk to the kid and say its unacceptable, where as in the latter it is directed at someone so he should be disqualified.

Now being in the south it would offend a lot of people if ######- say the riverdale coach actually used ######- was used like that, but say the coach just moved here from the North where that may be acceptable to a degree but maybe just gets a yellow because the referee took it in the context of he's just frustrated and vented a incidental profane remark out.

You have to look at each play and see if that one play incites or degrades someone in which then they should be disqualified.

As an official you have to have you head on your shoulders and have to be able to distiguish between the use of incidental or not. because that could be the factor of playing down or not. I figured you guys would be smarter than this.

Ok, first of all, i did say that language should be looked at in the context of the play and game, and whether there had been previous warnings. You're the one making the big deal over "incidental". Let me try this one more time - even incidental language can be offensive. So simply being incidental can't be your only criteria to judge the language. And please don't rationalize curse words, profanity and the like to players who read this post. Don't let them get a red card because you made them think it was ok to curse, as long as its incidental. It doesn't belong in the game. Period. That said, judgement is never left out of those decisions.

And if a coach does move here from the North, using language which is not acceptable here in the South. I'd be more than happy to give him a lesson in acceptable language on soccer fields in Tennessee. Coming from the North is not an acceptable excuse for being profane, vulgar or offensive. Its not Tennessee rules, its NFHS rules.

I thought I explained the "letter of the law". Gene Beck and I have spoken about how language should be dealt with. But the problem is all the parents or fans that think they understand the law watch a lot of club or USSF/ FIFA matches and think that NFHS is the same set of rules.

Just like you have a Obvious Goal Scoring opportunity. Say the keeper comes out to contest a ball, misjudges it and the attacker has a wide open goal. Now the keeper fouls the attacker to try and prevent the goal.

A. the ball goes in the goal but is still fouled.

B. the ball goes wide and is still fouled.

C. the ball goes wide and a defender slides in to contest the shot.

What do you do in all three cases "by NFHS" to the goalkeeper?

It doesn't matter what the parents and the fans think we play by, we play by NFHS.

A. Disqualify the goalie, award the goal. Kick off from midfield. Goalie is replaced buts team plays down a player.

B. Disqualify the goalie, award a PK. Goalie is replaced but team plays down a player.

C. Disqualify the goalie, award a PK. Goalie is replaced but team plays down a player.

In the third situation, there could be some judgement involved as to whether it was an obvious opportunity to score if another player was able to make a play on the ball. However, there would still be a foul resulting in a PK. Goalie might not be ejected.

And of course the awarding of the PK would only be done if the foul was in the penalty box. Otherwise it would be a direct kick from the spot of the foul.

I'm was not trying to say that cursing was acceptable; However from playing college and having several foriegn players come over and coach and all of a sudden card carded for using everyday chat. Sometimes you have to learn lessons the hard way, there is no doubt about it. All I'm saying is before you go disqualifying a player for it you need to look at the context in what is being said. If you are mature enough, you can handle it to a point with possibly not even giving a card period.

Now, I was only stating the referee's call in the blackman game was right in the context of NFHS. The other parents on here are "Claming" incidental. So I figured I would stir up some chatter about the topic and hopefully learn and maybe even teach a few people the difference. And I know there will probably be some high school players get on and somehow manipulate language into the game of soccer, but so we have to address that, like you said, in the context of how it was said.

But looking deeper into the rules "oknative", i'm assuming you referee NFHS and even club, you should know the difference bw the two of incidental and abusive. Yea we can get offended by someone saying a certain word and it very well possibly not even be a curse word but As an official was that word directed at you or any other person?

If yes then by all means show him the door. But for all you players out there, I'm going to assume you all have played, how many times have you missed a shot that was pretty easy and could have been the game winner and you yell out an word? Why should I be disqualified for that? Or how many times has an attacker charged your keeper and you tell the attacker "you better not do that 'stuff' again"? Why shouldn't I be disqualified for that?

And in all three cases, the keeper is to be disqualified and shown the red and the number shall be reduced.