Roane County School System Consolidation

OS91

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OS 91, why is it you think that Harriman will want to take students from OS? I looked up the tssaa enrollments (which may be a little outdated, but probably close enough)... and the difference between the two was a whopping 109 students. That's just not that much to me... I sure can't see it as a big enough number to justify wholesale changes to the system...Those 109 students would only account for 109/(716+507+398+364+245=2230) or roughly 5% of RC students.

I'm firmly against consolidation, but I'll look and see what some plan possibilities could be ...

The difference of 109 is enourmous when talking of enrollments of 400-500. IF the enrollment numbers were 1000-1300 there is no difference.

I would imagine that Rockwood and Harriman gate receipts and athletic budget have dropped tremendously over the last 5-7 years with declinging enrollment. 109 matters.. trust me

But how would propping up their enrollment help their gate receipts? They'll still play us every other year in football and every year in basketball, softball, and baseball, as well as you guys... plus Alcoa in football every other year, and each other. And Rockwood draws a big crowd every other year with Midway (football), especially with it on Thursday...

I sure hope they don't make this decision based on anything sports related!

I don't see how the Roane County School system is oing to be able to afford to take in Harriman with all of the updating that will have to be done to their facilities and the pay increasesd their employess will receive. How is this going to be done? I was told by a teacher that the school board members have already told everyone in the county if there is something their school needs get it now(this was last year) because they won't be able to afford anything when Harriman comes in.

This could get really ugly, I'm afraid. I had made some posts on these boards (what if..?), but I didn't know until this thread that consolidation was back on the table.

The facts of the matter are this: OS doesn't want to consolidate, Midway doesn't want to consolidate, and the other three will be pretty upset if they try to combine Kingston, Harriman, Rockwood and leave the other two alone. That's probably what killed the 91 referendum.

All I can say is, try to pin your commission candidates down on this issue before next Thursday. In my district, Troy Beets is a candidate. Mr. Beets was the leading proponent of the 1991 consolidation (he was on school board at the time, perhaps chair).

I really doubt that consolidation is on the table, but it will get ugly when they redraw district lines if Harriman joins the county. I know OS91 will not like it, but I think Harriman will get some students from the Webster Pike area simply because it's closer to HHS than OSHS. I'm sure they'll gain some in Midtown and Emory Heights also. That is if it's voted in next week.

I hope you're right, goose! My wife may have stumbled onto the best solution of all... by sheer accident. She (wrongly) thought that if Harriman residents voted to dissolve HCS, that they would close all their buildings. While I was explaining to her why they wouldn't, it dawned on me that this might be a much better solution than anything else I've heard!

I would say either the day of the jamboree or the following Monday. I hope the day of the jamboree. So far I've taken Kingston and Midway's pictures. Kingston had 30 varsity and probably that many freshmen. Midway had 46 or 47. I'm not positive because they had some players on vacation. I'll take Rockwood Thursday and OS and Harriman on Aug. 8 and 9.