District 12A

waynecofreak

Best coach in the district? You must be crazy... Look at Les Trotter at S'town... he wins games and wins big.... he is a good floor coach and has won some big games.... David Lee at PC is also a great coach and has a good mind and knows how to get his kids ready to play.... Derek Boyd at MP has won several coach of the year awards and also is a great coach .... the coach at Cwood (dont even know his name) hasnt even been in the district long enough and only took over the talent that the previous coach had.... so get your cards on right and do some research before you speak your mind....

I agree that he is not the best coach in the district but not because he's a bad one..he just hasn't been at it long enough..he had a great season this year though. My question for you is why doesn't Coach Franks from WCHS make the list? He has been to the state final 4 twice. And in his 5 seasons there has probably won 18-20+ games a season with the exception of 07 season. Not to mention his success at the middle school level. He never gets any credit from his peers...having not ever won a coach of the year award (that I know of). I don't think he would trade those state tourney's for any piece of plywood plaque that says coach of the year.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best coach in the district? You must be crazy... Look at Les Trotter at S'town... he wins games and wins big.... he is a good floor coach and has won some big games.... David Lee at PC is also a great coach and has a good mind and knows how to get his kids ready to play.... Derek Boyd at MP has won several coach of the year awards and also is a great coach .... the coach at Cwood (dont even know his name) hasnt even been in the district long enough and only took over the talent that the previous coach had.... so get your cards on right and do some research before you speak your mind....

The personal things I will not stoop to respond to. I'll just use my memory as my research. When I was a freshman in high school in 1980 the 4 primary powers, in what was then District 10, were, in alphabetical order, Mt. Pleasant, Perry County, Summertown, and Wayne County. Over the course of the past 28 years, it would be safe to say that those 4 schools year in and year out remain the powers of the district. I would say that given the talent level, tradition, community support, and administrative support that anyone capable of rolling balls onto the court and turning in a line-up could consistently win games at those schools. Coach McBee was winning games and winning them big long before Les Trotter knew where Summertown was. And David Lee followed the legendary Coach Rhodes at Perry County. Of course Coach Johnson was going to state tournaments and winning coach of the year plaques long before Derek Boyd got to Mt. Pleasant. And Coach Coggins was winning 20-25 games EVERY SEASON at Wayne County while Ryan Franks was still in elementary school. Now, I'm not knocking these coaches. They are all fine men and a credit to their communities and are great coaches. But bottom line, they are all simply carrying on a tradition, quite well i might say. The coach at Collinwood is not carrying on 28 years of tradition. He is setting his own. And his name is Brian Crews(I won't say you do some research). He is a credit to his town, his family, his school, his district, and his state. Thank you very much.

The personal things I will not stoop to respond to. I'll just use my memory as my research. When I was a freshman in high school in 1980 the 4 primary powers, in what was then District 10, were, in alphabetical order, Mt. Pleasant, Perry County, Summertown, and Wayne County. Over the course of the past 28 years, it would be safe to say that those 4 schools year in and year out remain the powers of the district. I would say that given the talent level, tradition, community support, and administrative support that anyone capable of rolling balls onto the court and turning in a line-up could consistently win games at those schools. Coach McBee was winning games and winning them big long before Les Trotter knew where Summertown was. And David Lee followed the legendary Coach Rhodes at Perry County. Of course Coach Johnson was going to state tournaments and winning coach of the year plaques long before Derek Boyd got to Mt. Pleasant. And Coach Coggins was winning 20-25 games EVERY SEASON at Wayne County while Ryan Franks was still in elementary school. Now, I'm not knocking these coaches. They are all fine men and a credit to their communities and are great coaches. But bottom line, they are all simply carrying on a tradition, quite well i might say. The coach at Collinwood is not carrying on 28 years of tradition. He is setting his own. And his name is Brian Crews(I won't say you do some research). He is a credit to his town, his family, his school, his district, and his state. Thank you very much.

I understand your quotes on past traditions and all but in a way they are irrelevant about the whole context of the blog..This is about the best coaches now not in 1980. Just because your school had a winning tradition then doesn't mean you are less of a coach than say Coach Crews in cwood. Everyone knows its 10 times harder to get to the state tournament now than in 1980. Kids are more athletic, better trained, and play almost year round. The competition is huge. Bottom line a coach can't go out on the floor and play for his kids. It's 80% talent 20% coaching. As the the great coach Bobby Knight says, "You can't make chicken salad out of chicken sh**!!!" So we will see how good you think Coach Crews is after this years talent is gone. A coach can help get the most of his players but at the end of the day its all about your talent level in todays sports.

• 2 weeks later...

top 3 in order

1.Wayne county

2.Collinwood

3.Summertown

take it or levae it thats how its goin 2 be. perry county will never be good enough 2 beat Wayne county or Summertown way 2 small

Yall are good but dont be crowing over 3rd place.Summertown barely beat a down year Perry Co. team what grade are you in?You better hope you graduate this year because this is last down year for 4 yrs for Perry.Get your licks in this year because it might be your last chance.

Yall are good but dont be crowing over 3rd place.Summertown barely beat a down year Perry Co. team what grade are you in?You better hope you graduate this year because this is last down year for 4 yrs for Perry.Get your licks in this year because it might be your last chance.

Don't know if my wayne county crew will be able to uphold the predictions of 1st place although they did win the majority of their games this summer. They are still young and have a lot of improving to do to win district 12A.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have a memory? In the 90's Perry County had a team full of frshman that overachieved in the district and region tournament and made it to state. That team was the one with Chris Jones, Kirk Haston and that class. Now if Perry Co has a team full of talented freshmen, a history lesson might serve well. Also, you can never ever count out Summertown. My info might be wrong but I do not believe they have finished worse than second in the district since I moved to Stown in 1991. Even when Cwood had the great team in 2000-2001, teh eagles still beat them with less talent. As far as WC goes, it will depend a lot on what the boys feel like. As Coach McBee said in 1992, when they lost a 10 pt lead to Moore Co with less than 2 mins to play--The coach can not help them win unless they WANT to win. The boys have to want it or coaching will not make a diffference.