D2 Football

jon26

cant argue against the D2 supporters whom say they dont recruit ( its like talking to a liberal )

I know a different state but was o-coord at a major catholic hs team back in chicagoland area (much like Ensworth,MBA,BA) and i can tell you WE recruited just like the above stated schools do as well. Well let me state wthe term recruit is used loosley.We would get a tip from a supporter,alum, middle school coach, member of our coaching staff about a stub tailback.We would find out some details,send a letter over, have him take a tour of the school and so forth-we didnt recruit him we just dangles a diamond in front of him -you decide , i call it recruiting- we dont they give more scholarships oops i mean financial assistance to a kid that plays the trumpet, a batton twirler, the chess club kid -

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cant argue against the D2 supporters whom say they dont recruit ( its like talking to a liberal )

I know a different state but was o-coord at a major catholic hs team back in chicagoland area (much like Ensworth,MBA,BA) and i can tell you WE recruited just like the above stated schools do as well. Well let me state wthe term recruit is used loosley.We would get a tip from a supporter,alum, middle school coach, member of our coaching staff about a stub tailback.We would find out some details,send a letter over, have him take a tour of the school and so forth-we didnt recruit him we just dangles a diamond in front of him -you decide , i call it recruiting- we dont they give more scholarships oops i mean financial assistance to a kid that plays the trumpet, a batton twirler, the chess club kid -

I sympathize with your plight. I frequently find myself frustrated trying to argue with people who insist that the athletic success of private school is solely the product of illegal recruiting and financial inducements. Their inability to grasp (or provide) concepts like "proof" or "evidence" is utterly maddening. I liken it to trying to reason with a four year old whose just had a big cup of espresso.

I see no point in restating the arguments about oversight of financial aid, so let's look at nuts and bolts. How would you recruit for a high school team, unless you took the Darrell Royal philosophy from the days when a program could give unlimited scholarships: recruit 'em all! They may not play for me, but I won't have to play against them.

Recruiting college players is a crap-shoot. The number of variables in recruiting from the middle school population is almost limitless. How much will this young man grow? How will his growth affect his speed? How dedicated is he: there is a major time commitment difference from middle-school football to high school football. And in the case of a young man being recruited to MBA, how will he adapt to the school work? (At MBA, eligibility is computed by the grading period: the football team usually loses a player or two after the first grades come out. Note that the player is still eligible by TSSAA standards).

Ultimately these recruiting skunk fights always come back to BA. And in the final analysis, it's always the same: nobody has any proof, nobody can produce any evidence. Please visit us again when you've got something more than innuendo.

• 2 weeks later...

I sympathize with your plight. I frequently find myself frustrated trying to argue with people who insist that the athletic success of private school is solely the product of illegal recruiting and financial inducements. Their inability to grasp (or provide) concepts like "proof" or "evidence" is utterly maddening. I liken it to trying to reason with a four year old whose just had a big cup of espresso.

I see no point in restating the arguments about oversight of financial aid, so let's look at nuts and bolts. How would you recruit for a high school team, unless you took the Darrell Royal philosophy from the days when a program could give unlimited scholarships: recruit 'em all! They may not play for me, but I won't have to play against them.

Recruiting college players is a crap-shoot. The number of variables in recruiting from the middle school population is almost limitless. How much will this young man grow? How will his growth affect his speed? How dedicated is he: there is a major time commitment difference from middle-school football to high school football. And in the case of a young man being recruited to MBA, how will he adapt to the school work? (At MBA, eligibility is computed by the grading period: the football team usually loses a player or two after the first grades come out. Note that the player is still eligible by TSSAA standards).

Ultimately these recruiting skunk fights always come back to BA. And in the final analysis, it's always the same: nobody has any proof, nobody can produce any evidence. Please visit us again when you've got something more than innuendo.

You're correct...I’ve never known BA to recruit scholar students from the local middle schools.

You're correct...I’ve never known BA to recruit scholar students from the local middle schools.

That works out ok, because I am pretty sure that you would not be able to back it up.

I am surprised people have not accused BA of recruiting Jabaree Tuani out of the North Nashville area as a "scholar student". He received an appointment to the United State Naval Academy this year. I have noticed that success breeds accusations. That..and getting beat by the same school year after year.

That works out ok, because I am pretty sure that you would not be able to back it up.

I am surprised people have not accused BA of recruiting Jabaree Tuani out of the North Nashville area as a "scholar student". He received an appointment to the United State Naval Academy this year. I have noticed that success breeds accusations. That..and getting beat by the same school year after year.

Ok, tell me the local Brentwood area middle school scholars BA recruited because I cannot back it up that BA has not recruited local scholar students to attend this fine educational institution.

It looks like getting beat by the same school year after year will end after this year due to realignment of the public schools and wild card system. BA will have to play all DII teams or out of state teams next year...have a nice road trip.

Did you ever think of not playing local teams may have a negative effect on the school athletic programs? Lack of local teams not filling up BA football stadium will not only affect the revenue of the football but other non-revenue sports. It appears future cost of additional travel expenses to far off places and drop in revenue of paid football and concession attendance will have devastating effect unless the parents ante up the lost revenue. The net effect on revenue to the public schools will be minor if not increased because privates like BA and MBA don’t bring a very good crowd on away games. This is understandable because the population of BA or MBA is about the size of a public Class 1A or 2A.

So tell me who is going to suffer on the final outcome.

so congrats he went to the naval academy and i am happy for him , but this is just one kid- tell me how did Jabaree decide to go to BA? Did he wake up one day and say hmmm i want to go to BA, did his parent(s) decide for him - Did BA accpet him becasue he could play football VERY WELL, becasue i could almost assure you they didnt take him becasue he could play the flute well - Look at the sports page today tennessean, the o and d line of BA is the size of most div one schools ( well heck it is they are all being recruited by DIV I team)

Why dont all high schools drop zoning bylawys.

no one will suffer more than the kids who have to be told "we couldn't beat them so we are just going to quit playing them." I think overseas coach (who hates talking to liberals) would probably label that "cutting and running."

its not that we couldnt beat them its about a level playing field - i would hope BA could beat teams that didnt recruit

Playing the privates offers better competition of play due to the better athletes. It is not quantity but quality. I have never known BA to substitute top players with second team once achieving commanding lead. They keep the top players on the field to get more game film for college recruiting. I cannot argue if this is the right or wrong thing to do but it seems strange while second string players have little hope of getting into a game.

While playing private offers better competition, it serves a purpose to the public to play up to better competition when it comes to playoffs. The format changes in 2009 and this advantage of playing a better private team is taken away because of the wildcard format of the public playoff system. It is penalizing teams to play the better private teams and lose to such team. It makes the difference of making playoffs and not for a public team.

So what matter most to these kids, making the playoffs or playing private schools?

Playing the privates offers better competition of play due to the better athletes. It is not quantity but quality. I have never known BA to substitute top players with second team once achieving commanding lead. They keep the top players on the field to get more game film for college recruiting. I cannot argue if this is the right or wrong thing to do but it seems strange while second string players have little hope of getting into a game.

While playing private offers better competition, it serves a purpose to the public to play up to better competition when it comes to playoffs. The format changes in 2009 and this advantage of playing a better private team is taken away because of the wildcard format of the public playoff system. It is penalizing teams to play the better private teams and lose to such team. It makes the difference of making playoffs and not for a public team.

So what matter most to these kids, making the playoffs or playing private schools?

i agree it does make a public school better , look at INDY last year they played BA and MBA in a three week period and it made them better - but the point here is that they recruit

i agree it does make a public school better , look at INDY last year they played BA and MBA in a three week period and it made them better - but the point here is that they recruit

Again, the blanket statement with no supporting data is a pretty ineffective arguement. Please just provide one little snipit of evidence to accompany your statement. Do you honestly belive that out of all of these "recruited" athletes over the years that one of them may not have gotten what they were promised and gone to tattle to the TSSAA. It has never happened. This should be so easy to prove but yet has never been proven. We get lots of "my cousin Lulu knows this big kid who once was recruited by one of the privates but ended up not going there for some strange reason and is now in his mid 20's and love to reminisce about how good he once was to have been recruited by such a great program." Again, evey public coach, fan, player is dying to catch one of the privates in the act but it is yet to be done. Why is this?

Now let's get the topic back on track so it doesn't get moved. I agree with the ChosenOne. MUS could have 3-4 legitimate Div 1 players and is being drastically underestimated.

Again, the blanket statement with no supporting data is a pretty ineffective arguement. Please just provide one little snipit of evidence to accompany your statement. Do you honestly belive that out of all of these "recruited" athletes over the years that one of them may not have gotten what they were promised and gone to tattle to the TSSAA. It has never happened. This should be so easy to prove but yet has never been proven. We get lots of "my cousin Lulu knows this big kid who once was recruited by one of the privates but ended up not going there for some strange reason and is now in his mid 20's and love to reminisce about how good he once was to have been recruited by such a great program." Again, evey public coach, fan, player is dying to catch one of the privates in the act but it is yet to be done. Why is this?

Now let's get the topic back on track so it doesn't get moved. I agree with the ChosenOne. MUS could have 3-4 legitimate Div 1 players and is being drastically underestimated.

keep believin that , its very creative ways that they are recruited and when i saY RECRUITED i dont mean dangle keys of a benz or $$$ they spot a kid they want, they get him - so what is your date to show why these super star kids pick a ba or ensowrth ? how does this come to be then ? why do they pick it and go there and go tuba player from east nashville high wants to go but he is not offered a free ride