MLB Draft

kobayashi

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone else surprised that Sonny Gray went so late in the draft and that Clayton Gant didn't get drafted at all??? I am. I would have lost a bunch of money on that bet. I would have bet on both of them to go early.

Not surprised that Sonny went lower - the letter saying Don't Draft Me, I am going to college, moved him down quite a few rounds. Was surprised that Gant didn't get drafted. As well as Adkins of Goodpasture among others.

Signability is a big factor.

Some local college kids not being picked surprised me as well.

More on Sonny in today's local paper: Alvis, Gray selected in MLB Draft

Gray was almost universally considered a first-day (the first six rounds) talent but sent an official request to MLB's scouting bureau prior to the draft and asked that he not be selected. He said it was his intention to honor the national letter-of-intent he signed last November with Vanderbilt.

Not surprised that Sonny went lower - the letter saying Don't Draft Me, I am going to college, moved him down quite a few rounds. Was surprised that Gant didn't get drafted. As well as Adkins of Goodpasture among others.

Signability is a big factor.

Some local college kids not being picked surprised me as well.

More on Sonny in today's local paper: Alvis, Gray selected in MLB Draft

Why would signability be a factor with Adkins and Gant? Are you saying because they signed with UTK they are hard to sign?

Why would signability be a factor with Adkins and Gant? Are you saying because they signed with UTK they are hard to sign?

The bottom line is $$$$$. Every kid has a price. The ones that think education and further development are more important than signing now put that price at very high level. It is up to the major league scouting bureau and the individual team scouts to determine this prior to wasting a draft pick on them.

Scouts talk with kids and their parents. Some of those discussions are fun to watch - seen quite a few over the years. My favorite was a few years back in the pressbox - a scout asked a parent what it would take to sign and Dad said "Life Altering Money" and the scout instantly came back with "$10,000 is life altering to some folks!"

There is a lot of phone calls back and forth in the months weeks and days leading up to the draft. Even calls on draft day. I don't have any particulars on Gant or Adkins.

Congrats to Jonathan White, a 2006 graduate of Milan and Dyersburg State pitcher went undrafted and then signed a 7 year contract with the Mets. Supposed to report to Single A immediately with velocity up to 94 mph since Tommy John surgery his senior year of high school.

Hey Champs, I Enjoy Reading Your Posts. But Aint That John White From Vandy That Signed That Contract? Johnathan White Is On Short List For Bethel? Johnathan White From Vandy Is A Senior Graduate That Has Been Previously Drafted By The Brewers. Now Like Alot Of Things I Post On, LOL , Im Not Positive On This. But I'm Almost 100% On This One.

Hey Champs, I Enjoy Reading Your Posts. But Aint That John White From Vandy That Signed That Contract? Johnathan White Is On Short List For Bethel? Johnathan White From Vandy Is A Senior Graduate That Has Been Previously Drafted By The Brewers. Now Like Alot Of Things I Post On, LOL , Im Not Positive On This. But I'm Almost 100% On This One.

Draft List

Here is the story on Johnathan White(s)... according to his JC coach, Johnathan White from Milan was supposed to be the 28th round pick for the Mets... they got mixed up and drafted the Johnathan White from Vandy/Shelbyville instead... so the Mets signed Milan's/Dyersburg St's John White to a free agent contract

Draft List

Here is the story on Johnathan White(s)... according to his JC coach, Johnathan White from Milan was supposed to be the 28th round pick for the Mets... they got mixed up and drafted the Johnathan White from Vandy/Shelbyville instead... so the Mets signed Milan's/Dyersburg St's John White to a free agent contract

Sweet. So Like Myself The Drafters Make Mistakes. LOL. Thanks For The Correction. And Cudo's Milan's Johnathan White.

Draft List

Wow, I guess that explains it. I had heard he was going to be drafted by the Mets and then it didn't happen but it turned out ok.