Top 25 Historical Teams in Tennessee

I agree they were the best high school football team I've ever seen as well. They could make adjustments at the line of scrimmage better than anyone. The O-line was all on the honor roll! Smart, quick, no egos! Chris Cain was the most atheletic high school qb I've seen in a while. Punkin Williams was AWESOME & I'm like you don't know how he wasn't an NFL starter. Saw Punkin run smack over Blakemore in the Memphis vs Ole Miss game. Knocked his jock strap off for a 64 yard run. I ragged him afterwards about running over a 270lb d-lineman then being chased down & tackled by a 185lb safety. He just laughed! Tony Champion was another stud & still holds records in the CFL to this day. See him all the time & I believe he could still play pro ball. I believe the Lexington score was 7-0 as Gerry Brittain (formerly from Lexington) interecepted a late pass & returned it for a td to win the game. Welch is an attorney in Georgia now & is doing well. That team wasn't even scored on till Obion County scored on the second string defense in the 6th game. Jerry Barker was the anchor at middle linebacker. That guy was not big but would hit you like a freight train. Mathis was an unbelievable athelete. I could go on! That team was very special in deed.

And what people fail to remember is the 1980 squad was UNDEFEATED too...If I remember...then got beat in the playoffs...That team had Champion at qb...Mathis at Tb...Epperson at Fullback...Troy Blakemore...There was some talent on that team.... On the 79 team.The offense line was Barker, Randy McKnight, Robert "Mojo" Miller at Center, Can't think of the guy who played Tackle...Blakemore played TE....Champion was a Wr....Cain was the qb...They ran that STACKED I if I remember....Epperson was the fullback, Welch was the back behind him and then you had "Punkin"....Awesome team...

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And what people fail to remember is the 1980 squad was UNDEFEATED too...If I remember...then got beat in the playoffs...That team had Champion at qb...Mathis at Tb...Epperson at Fullback...Troy Blakemore...There was some talent on that team.... On the 79 team.The offense line was Barker, Randy McKnight, Robert "Mojo" Miller at Center, Can't think of the guy who played Tackle...Blakemore played TE....Champion was a Wr....Cain was the qb...They ran that STACKED I if I remember....Epperson was the fullback, Welch was the back behind him and then you had "Punkin"....Awesome team...

I remember this game well..mostly because "Punkin" touched the ball only 7 times for well over 200 yards. As long as Cain was at Humboldt they were always great.

I remember this game well..mostly because "Punkin" touched the ball only 7 times for well over 200 yards. As long as Cain was at Humboldt they were always great.

Punkin was a once in a decade back! Kelsey Williams was the next great back to come along for Humboldt. Those guys were men among boys. Amazingly talented backs!

Cain was a Hall of Fame coach that is missed to this day. He had a great staff that worked together. What alot of people don't know is he had one of the best defensive coaches around in Danny Nowell. Danny could analyze another team & make adjustments on the fly as well as anyone I've ever seen.

Marty Burke!

THAT"S HIM!.. Big guy ( for 1979) who weighed probably 225 or 230.....He was at the Johnny Majors Football Camp in the summer of 79....He and Punkin, Champ and Mathis...Epperson too If I remember....Never will forget watching Punkin Williams go down that sideline....He reminded me of a cross between Billy Sims/ Walter Payton....Man, that dude was great...

I dont know if this team has already been mentioned. But i would have to put the Livingston Academy Wildcats of 2005 in the list of top 25 most historic in TN. They were 5-5, and ended up as the 3A state champs beating Knox Carter, Austin East, Catholic, Notre Dame, and David Lipscomb all in one post season.

THAT"S HIM!.. Big guy ( for 1979) who weighed probably 225 or 230.....He was at the Johnny Majors Football Camp in the summer of 79....He and Punkin, Champ and Mathis...Epperson too If I remember....Never will forget watching Punkin Williams go down that sideline....He reminded me of a cross between Billy Sims/ Walter Payton....Man, that dude was great...

Burke was 6'2" & 225lbs. Burke went on to play at Murray State.

I'd tell you what I saw Punkin do in the high jump @ Milan once but you'd call me a liar! LOL. He won the high jump & had never high jumped before. Pure atheletism! Coach Nowell asked him if he could jump that bar & said he'd try.lol! All the Old Hickory guys doing the Fosbury Flop were standing there with their mouths open when he jumped the bar........................in a sitting position. roflmao. Punkin & Shine (Champion) were both cut by the 49er's & Cowboys. They called Shine to try-out 3 times!

All right............enough about that '79 Viking team. Doubt Humboldt will ever see another one like them. Sad!

Burke was 6'2" & 225lbs. Burke went on to play at Murray State.

I'd tell you what I saw Punkin do in the high jump @ Milan once but you'd call me a liar! LOL. He won the high jump & had never high jumped before. Pure atheletism! Coach Nowell asked him if he could jump that bar & said he'd try.lol! All the Old Hickory guys doing the Fosbury Flop were standing there with their mouths open when he jumped the bar........................in a sitting position. roflmao. Punkin & Shine (Champion) were both cut by the 49er's & Cowboys. They called Shine to try-out 3 times!

All right............enough about that '79 Viking team. Doubt Humboldt will ever see another one like them. Sad!

Speaking of the 79 Vikings...Do you know Bubba Crossnoe?....Bubba was a frat brother and room mate of mine at MTSU way back in the day...He and Coach John W.Tucker's middle son....Man, I had HUMBOLDT AND MILAN under the same roof....Milan was the 77 State Champs and undefeated...Humboldt was the 79 State Champs and undefeated....Think there wasn't some TRASH TALKING going on?... /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> And ANYTHING you tell me about Punkin Williams and Champ I will believe....I remember Punkin DUNKING IN HIGH SCHOOL....A 5-9 or 5-10 dude dunking back then was UNHEARD OF....CHAMP did the same thing....When he played at UT-Martin he used to come home with a couple of dudes from Dyersburg who were playing at UT-Martin....They were over at DSCC one day shooting basketball and had Champ with them....They had him doing all these CRAZY DUNKS....Looked like something you would see at a NBA slam dunk competition....Boy, what some athletes...

Bill Moody was a good back for Humboldt who went on to Memphis State...BIG BACK...and what was the kid who made Sports Illustrated as a 8th grader..Marcus ?......PURE THUG....Saw him outrun the WHOLE BROWNSVILLE TEAM ONE NIGHT....Punkin was the best...Kelcey was 2nd ...That cat was the REAL DEAL TOO...