South Rebels--Starter Predictions-Anyone?

Great Thread - what a bevy of riches. There is no similar thread on Central, East, North, or anyone else's part. The Rebel Nation seems very excited and that makes great fodder for this board.

I have been gone awhile and would like to make a few observations (for what they are worth).

Seven on Seven means nothing. Just ask the Rebels about the '06 game against D-B. It does not matter about your route and coverage reads if you are on your back. One of the most dominating performances in recent local HS memory was turned in by a Watson coached defense and his blitz package. The Rebels cannot handle Watson unless they run right at him (see '05 and '02). Not that they need to this year and he will be retired soon.

Comp, according to my contacts some of your memory of the '05 practice season borders on fantasy. In any event, if you are an I formation tailback, don't go to South. You indicated there was a rumor of one running back transferring. There is not necessarily anything wrong with that if you are a tailback and want 30 carries a game. It is not going to happen in the spread South offense. It will happen in the run oriented THS offense this year with Sheppard and it will happen most every year at Boone under Jenkins. All in all, my experience about discontent and transfer talk is that it is a relief valve for the parents. Most kids want to stay and play with their friends - their Band of Brothers.

Do not count the Cassell kid out of the mix too early. Speed kills and, if he is the fastest RB, he will play. I do agree with Comp relative to maturity and the need to prove your mettle on the practice field. Also, ball security, lead blocking for the QB (who will get most of the carry opportunities), and pass protection are keys to any spread attack.

South's number one improvement area over last year was their tendency to get bowled over early in the running and passing game by their opponents. Without CP to lead the comeback, South would have lost several additional games over the past two years. Their number one issue is to start much faster and harder on defense. If they can't , they may very well be 6 -4 as another poster predicted.

In the interest of full disclosure, I will admit to being partial to the Vikings. But, with apologies to Cap and Waco, the Rebels are the most interesting and compelling story in HS football in this corner of the state over the past four years. South resurges, THS slides, and D-B gets turf. No contest in terms of overall excitement and interest week after week (and in the off season).

Not long until Week 0.

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great Thread - what a bevy of riches. There is no similar thread on Central, East, North, or anyone else's part. The Rebel Nation seems very excited and that makes great fodder for this board.

I have been gone awhile and would like to make a few observations (for what they are worth).

Seven on Seven means nothing. Just ask the Rebels about the '06 game against D-B. It does not matter about your route and coverage reads if you are on your back. One of the most dominating performances in recent local HS memory was turned in by a Watson coached defense and his blitz package. The Rebels cannot handle Watson unless they run right at him (see '05 and '02). Not that they need to this year and he will be retired soon.

Comp, according to my contacts some of your memory of the '05 practice season borders on fantasy. In any event, if you are an I formation tailback, don't go to South. You indicated there was a rumor of one running back transferring. There is not necessarily anything wrong with that if you are a tailback and want 30 carries a game. It is not going to happen in the spread South offense. It will happen in the run oriented THS offense this year with Sheppard and it will happen most every year at Boone under Jenkins. All in all, my experience about discontent and transfer talk is that it is a relief valve for the parents. Most kids want to stay and play with their friends - their Band of Brothers.

Do not count the Cassell kid out of the mix too early. Speed kills and, if he is the fastest RB, he will play. I do agree with Comp relative to maturity and the need to prove your mettle on the practice field. Also, ball security, lead blocking for the QB (who will get most of the carry opportunities), and pass protection are keys to any spread attack.

South's number one improvement area over last year was their tendency to get bowled over early in the running and passing game by their opponents. Without CP to lead the comeback, South would have lost several additional games over the past two years. Their number one issue is to start much faster and harder on defense. If they can't , they may very well be 6 -4 as another poster predicted.

In the interest of full disclosure, I will admit to being partial to the Vikings. But, with apologies to Cap and Waco, the Rebels are the most interesting and compelling story in HS football in this corner of the state over the past four years. South resurges, THS slides, and D-B gets turf. No contest in terms of overall excitement and interest week after week (and in the off season).

Not long until Week 0.

Pretty good points ET. I'm predicting 10-0 of course. I guess I've been hitting the Rebelade a little too hard lately. I think this team has the potential to be one of the best Rebel teams of all time. I'm a little concerned over a few work ethics, but as a whole, I'm excited about this team. I think most others think we'll drop off without Curt and we might. But, I think most will be impressed with B.D. I've been saying for the last 2 or 3 years that the talent we have coming through is unbelievable. Most of it got overshadowed by Curt and probably rightfully so. It's time for the "others" to shine. We have a VERY strong Jr. class this year. I may be way off here, but 10-0 is what I'm sticking with. I'll be extremely shocked if we go 6-4.

Im predicting South to go 6-4 in the regular season and 3rd in the mountain lakes conference behind TN High and Betsy. I just dont see them being very good now that Phillips is gone. But good luck though hope they prove me wrong.

10-0 Another Mountain lakes conference championship mark it down...the best SOUTH team to ever take the field!!! If you think Curt Phillips is all we had...well you and a bunch more people are going to be very, very suprised !!!!MARK IT DOWN THE BEST EVER. GO REBELS /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" /> /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" />

Comp...are you saying just because Jordan came from DB Stacy's going to hold that against him and punish him for that.If thats the case maybe his parents need to send him back to DB !! I know the Cassell's well and they are great people and if they knew Jordan was being punished for that they would pull him from South in a heartbeat Jordan's a great kid and if he has to prove something just because he came from DB thats B.S... And if i'm right Jordan was the only rb to score in the Volunteer scrimmage Bobby got run down from behind twice that should have been td's on screen passes that Fletcher or Cassell would have taken to the house.With all that being said I believe you are right this will be the best South has ever put on the field. GO REBELS!!!!!!!!

Rebelred, out of respect for a fellow Rebel I'm trying to be gracious. But I can't help but think that you are in fact Jordan Cassell. You are a bit too concerned for someone who is a close friend of the parents of the young man. That said, Stacy would never do anything of the such. To even allude that it is possible is childish. You have misinterpreted most everything I have said. I won't re-explain it...you may want to re-read it over again. There is some meaning between the lines. As far as the scrimmage is concerned...we have concluded that Bobbeye is a bit slow and I gritted my teeth when he was caught from behind. However, he plays with heart and that is everything. It overcomes many obsticles. I think Jordan will be fine and will get on the field. And who knows he may very well step up and write a little history of his own. More power to him. But you have built him up to stratospheric heights that will be difficult to live up to...unless of course his ability is of the magnatude you allude to. And so you have put all eyes on the young man. I hope he has a good year.

Not long until Week 0.

A little fantacy never hurt anyone. Besides, it's not too awfully far off the mark.

Im predicting South to go 6-4 in the regular season and 3rd in the mountain lakes conference behind TN High and Betsy. I just dont see them being very good now that Phillips is gone. But good luck though hope they prove me wrong.

I think anything is possible. And I am concerned about the Rebel work ethic. Time will tell. But I also like it when these kinds of things are said because it only proves a lack of knowledge of what we actually have to bring to the table. And let's keep it that way.

Not long until Week 0.

In the interest of full disclosure, I will admit to being partial to the Vikings. But, with apologies to Cap and Waco, the Rebels are the most interesting and compelling story in HS football in this corner of the state over the past four years. South resurges, THS slides, and D-B gets turf. No contest in terms of overall excitement and interest week after week (and in the off season). It's interesting that the DB thread is pretty much shut down without Rebel input. Maybe I'll go over there and present the notion that Roop is the better QB than Crawford and see what kind of a hornets nest I can stir up.

Guest footballfan100

compusman,

you have made some really good points about the south football program. You seem to know alot about the program and how it operates. Does your son play or has he played for south? It seems you want the best for all the kids. You have repeatedly spoke of well-wishes for all the kids!

rebredneck,

Does your son play for south or has he played for south? It seems like you dont agree with compusman on much for some reason.

Compusman and rebredneck,

Do you guys know each other or dislike each other? If you guys are both south rebels fans, then you all should get along better. How do you all think the boys feel when they read all this crap on here about us "grownups" arguing about who starts a game!!! It seems like you all are playing against each other!! And lets dont forget, the kids probaly read this message board as much as everybody!!!! Do you think we all may create some hard feelings toward each other or worse, BETWEEN THE KIDS!!!! My God fellas, let them be teammates and friend instead of creating hostility between themselves.

As far as this Cassell boy is concerned, I take it that he is a Sophomore!!!! Let me ask a simple question.... For a soph to even be asked to play on the varsity as a running back, is that not an honor now a days? Are we so spoiled that we all must be a starter!! A running back is a high profile position!!!!! If he is good enough to get varsity playing time as a sophomore, then make the most of what he gets, and WORK HARD AND EARN MORE!!!!! Every parent or family member always wants the best for their child, that is not to blame, but PLEASE, for the boys concern....they are on the same TEAM!!!!!

If the Fletcher kid is a Senior and had several 100 yard games last year, then he should be the starter. As for this Bobby kid, what grade is he in? If he has paid his "dues" and is a pretty good back, then why shouldnt he get starts ahead of an underclassmen? Especially at the start of the year....remember that rotations change as the year goes along. I have gathered from the previous posts that the Cassell boy must have a lot of potential and must be a fast and strong runner, so you guys be easy on him! If he is a sophomore, remember he is only 15 years old!!!! He will have his DAY in the sun soon. He is still probaly learning the system on the varsity level. He will get his time as a starter, have a little faith in him.

Everyone should just lighten up and have fun and lets play some football!! IT IS FOR THE BOYS AND NOT US PARENTS OR "CONCERNED FRIENDS'' of the program. Let the boys have some fun with each other for pete's sake!

In the interest of full disclosure, I will admit to being partial to the Vikings. But, with apologies to Cap and Waco, the Rebels are the most interesting and compelling story in HS football in this corner of the state over the past four years. South resurges, THS slides, and D-B gets turf. No contest in terms of overall excitement and interest week after week (and in the off season). It's interesting that the DB thread is pretty much shut down without Rebel input. Maybe I'll go over there and present the notion that Roop is the better QB than Crawford and see what kind of a hornets nest I can stir up.

Don't worry about us. We do our talking on the football field, (i.e. 700 wins).

compusman,

you have made some really good points about the south football program. You seem to know alot about the program and how it operates. Does your son play or has he played for south? It seems you want the best for all the kids. You have repeatedly spoke of well-wishes for all the kids!

rebredneck,

Does your son play for south or has he played for south? It seems like you dont agree with compusman on much for some reason.

Compusman and rebredneck,

Do you guys know each other or dislike each other? If you guys are both south rebels fans, then you all should get along better. How do you all think the boys feel when they read all this crap on here about us "grownups" arguing about who starts a game!!! It seems like you all are playing against each other!! And lets dont forget, the kids probaly read this message board as much as everybody!!!! Do you think we all may create some hard feelings toward each other or worse, BETWEEN THE KIDS!!!! My God fellas, let them be teammates and friend instead of creating hostility between themselves.

As far as this Cassell boy is concerned, I take it that he is a Sophomore!!!! Let me ask a simple question.... For a soph to even be asked to play on the varsity as a running back, is that not an honor now a days? Are we so spoiled that we all must be a starter!! A running back is a high profile position!!!!! If he is good enough to get varsity playing time as a sophomore, then make the most of what he gets, and WORK HARD AND EARN MORE!!!!! Every parent or family member always wants the best for their child, that is not to blame, but PLEASE, for the boys concern....they are on the same TEAM!!!!!

If the Fletcher kid is a Senior and had several 100 yard games last year, then he should be the starter. As for this Bobby kid, what grade is he in? If he has paid his "dues" and is a pretty good back, then why shouldnt he get starts ahead of an underclassmen? Especially at the start of the year....remember that rotations change as the year goes along. I have gathered from the previous posts that the Cassell boy must have a lot of potential and must be a fast and strong runner, so you guys be easy on him! If he is a sophomore, remember he is only 15 years old!!!! He will have his DAY in the sun soon. He is still probaly learning the system on the varsity level. He will get his time as a starter, have a little faith in him.

Everyone should just lighten up and have fun and lets play some football!! IT IS FOR THE BOYS AND NOT US PARENTS OR "CONCERNED FRIENDS'' of the program. Let the boys have some fun with each other for pete's sake!

Great post...point well taken. As for Rebelred, he is very a zealous individual and speaks well of the whole team...not just part of it. He has no negative attitude whatsoever toward me or any one else. He does not downplay anyone elses ability in order to uplift someone elses. He merely is promoting the player closest to his heart. Nothing wrong with that.