District 8AA

Guest lilal523

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm glad to finally see some 8 AA fans on this board. I think the district will be very competitive. There will be a wealth of talent from top to bottom in my opinion. Although most of the talent will be young. With this being a new district, most rivalries are just beginning. There are some old rivalries such as MLK vs. Hume Fogg, Springfield vs. Greenbrier, and Portland vs. Macon County. New rivals are starting to brew between some of the teams. I think everybody shoots to beat David Lipscomb because of their success year in and year out. I believe MLK may be a surprise district contender this year. They are well coached and have a super sophomore class. They also have a good freshman class right behind them. Springfeild has the most talent, but their success will depend on how well they play together. Lipscomb will always contend for the title. Josh Stevens will be a great player. Portland has good size with Ferguson at 6'7 and the versatile Cory Brewer at 6'7, but their guard play will be a question mark. Last years District champion Hume Fogg team lost key players, but will still be a strong team with Harriford leading the way. East Lit lost only two senoirs and may surprise some teams. Macon County lost their two top players, but are well coached and always play hard. Greenbrier will be very young, probably starting mostly sophomores. Thier freshman class last year went 14-4 and beat most of their compitition soundly, but playing varsity is a whole different level. It should be an exciting and compititive year in district 8 AA. I'm looking forward to November already.

Lipscomb returns the district MVP in Josh Stephens. He is solid in the post and works well with their system. It usually doesn't matter who the players are because the system is always the same.

MLK shouldn't be a suprise this year. Last year they had to replace ten seniors and still finished second. They will be young but return their best player, Johnny Lee. Only a freshman last year, he carried the team. He didn't receive the attention he deserved last year. Solid group of underclassmen to go with him.

Hume-Fogg returns one of the topp guards in Nashville in Brandon Hariford. They will have very good guard play. Post play will be a question. Alvin Wade is a solid defender and rebounder. Two big posts are a question due to experience and mobility.

Portland has the twin towers in Corey Brewer and John Ferguson. Guard play will be the big question. If no one steps up look for Brewer to bring the ball up the floor and make it a two man game.

Springfield should have their best players back. They are very athletic and streaky. If they get hot they can beat anybody.

Greenbrier looks forward to an improved season. Talented young team from what I understand. I'm not sure how athletic they will be but I think they will have a winning attitude to start.

East Literature will be very athletic. They return two all district players. Focus and execution will be the key. One senior, Johnta Johnson on the team with mostly juniors.

I think the league should be very even from top to bottom this year.

No disrespect to Macon co. but it is late and i'm about to crash. They lost their two top scores for which I am glad. However, they always seem to have great shooters and I don't forsee that changing next year. They play hard and always play well at home.

Coach, I have to agree with you on Johnny Lee. I think he is already a great point guard, as a sophomore. He may not score 20 points a game, but he does what good true point guards are suppose to do.....lead their team. I saw MLK's upcoming freshman play in Lavergne this summer and was very impressed. They are loaded with talent and size again this year. They have a very athletic point guard who could probably see some playing time on their varsity. I also saw Portland play some at the Gallatin camp. They beat Smith County soundly........and Brewer did bring the ball up some.

How did you guys do this summer? What camps did you attend?

I hope you are doing well and wish you the best of luck on the upcoming season.

We played in a summer league at MBA an did o'k early in the Summer. I probably took too many kids with me so our goal was to win the first half of each game. That way I could play everyone a fair amount of time. We played in the Belmont camp again this summer. We did more bad things than good things. We just didn't have enough quality practices to work on the things we needed to. I look forward to the beginning of practice this year. There's nothing like having a captive audience. It's just tough getting all of your kids rounded up in the summer.

Did you guys go to Western this Summer and how did you do?

We went to Western and Gallatin camps. We took a good pounding from some Kentucky Schools at Western. I think that may have woke some of our younger players up. They got a good taste of how physical the game is at the varsity level. We were very streaky at Gallatin. We beat Gallatin in one game, then lose to a single A team the next. To be honest I was disappointed in our overall play. We had four days left after those camps, so we had some play days with Jo Byrns and Todd Central Ky. We looked a little better against those two teams, but have a long way to go to be competitive in our district.....or even in AA. Our upcoming freshman did well all summer. They won most of their games at Western and went undefeated at Gallatin. We also took them to Lavergne for a play day. They beat Riverdale and Rock Springs. We only have 7 Freshman, but the ones we have seem to have some potential. We also have some real good coaches from the bleaches that should help us along this year!

Sleep.....I'm sorry if I was wrong about Smith County, It may have been Cannon County.....I just know it was a 7 AA school. Good luck at Smith County.

• 3 months later...

Just like all of u coaches have said, The district is getting pretty strong year after year. But the game I will be waiting for is East vs MLK. That game will become a rilvary pretty soon. I think East will come out on top due to there new pick up Brandon Smith.