What are the top programs doing until Nov.1

ChrisMullins

Coachgat, I am new to this site, who do you coach? Furthermore, does your school have it's last period or block of the day as a "sports period"? If so, what do they do during this time until Oct. 27th? I know that they have this in some counties that surround Davidson County. I also know that since it is considered a "physical education" class that is ok to throw a basketball out there and say have fun. Maybe there is a reason that Davidson County (Metro) schools have not won a State Basketball Championship in a while. I am all for hard work and student athletes putting in the time to make themselves better, but it should be an opportunity that is available for everyone.

Unless it changed over the last year, Wilson Central does not have an athletic period for basketball. I know 2006 they did not have one.

I would say it has a whole lot more to do with how early the community starts their youth basketball program, and what they do during the year as opposed to just an athletic period being able to accomplish everything to make a difference. I do not disagree that it is not a nice luxury, but a lot of schools are on 55 minute periods and not block schedules. Plus schools would have to either rotate boys and girls, have multiple gyms (which not all have), or have one the first period of the day (practice before school into the end of 1st period), and the other at the end and go over.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

October 27th is the actual first day to practice this year. Conditioning and open gym can start on August 19. We are getting air conditioning installed in our gym so it's not usable till later on this year. We don't usually start conditioning until September anyway.

I hesitated to reply because this topic can be misinterpreted as someone boasting about being a top program. I don't need the critics all over me for something as harmless as a mere reply.

Hi Coach. I was looking on the TSSAA site and could not find any info on the Aug. 19th date for the beginning of conditioning and open gyms. Am I just missing it, or is this info only available to the coaching community? Any help would be appreciated.

Hi Coach. I was looking on the TSSAA site and could not find any info on the Aug. 19th date for the beginning of conditioning and open gyms. Am I just missing it, or is this info only available to the coaching community? Any help would be appreciated.

Hey how you doing? It use to be on the website somewhere dealing with dead periods. I don't know where it is now. I do have it in writing but I don't remember where to find it online, sorry. /sad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" /> /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

Hey how you doing? It use to be on the website somewhere dealing with dead periods. I don't know where it is now. I do have it in writing but I don't remember where to find it online, sorry. /sad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" /> /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

Thanks Coach, I'll give TSSAA a call on Monday for the final word. Good luck this year!

Look on page on the constitution and bylaws at the link below.

http://www.tssaa.org/Handbook/handbook.pdf

I need to call again myself. According to the handbook the August 19th date isn't in there. According to the paperwork that I have it's on it. We don't start until November anyway but I don't want to misinform anyone else on when they can start.

Coach GAT, don't want to start anything and I'm sure you have followed col20 and her situation and maybe because others can likely get into the same situation, what would you do as a new coach walking into a situation like Indy, not looking back, but you have taken the job, your best player and a great guard prospect is gone and have taken the team just before the dead period started, have not had tryouts, have a new AD, have a new Principal and the only thing you have done was have a community meeting to introduce yourself and the new AD shows up with you at the meeting. What is your next step? Certainly the coach is the coach and should not be influenced by anything here. If you don't want to answer and had rather someone else would I can appreciate it.

I need to call again myself. According to the handbook the August 19th date isn't in there. According to the paperwork that I have it's on it. We don't start until November anyway but I don't want to misinform anyone else on when they can start.

Thanks for the link to the handbook. It looks like the date is August 25th. Here is a copy of the rules.

2008-09 TSSAA Handbook Basketball (Boys and Girls)

Monday, week of August 1 until

Monday, last full week of August....................................................DEAD PERIOD

Monday, last full week of August, until

Monday, week of November 1.......................................................Weight training/conditioning/open facilities permitted.

No practice.

Monday, week of November 1.......................................................First Practice Date. Must practice 3 days before preseason

scrimmages. Maximum of 4 preseason scrimmages or 2 preseason scrimmage dates, or 1 date and 2 scrimmages.

Monday, 16 weeks prior to Boys State Bk Tournament.................Date of First Contest. Eligibility and schedule must be filed

online.

Maximum number of regular season contests...............................24 Games. Maximum number of tournaments is 2 with each

tournament counting as 2 games.

End of season until completion

of 3 weeks (21 consecutive days)..................................................DEAD PERIOD

End of Dead Period until end of school..........................................Weight training/conditioning/open facilities permitted.

No practice (Exception: 5 Days of off-season practice within a 10 consecutive school day period).

End of school until summer Dead Period.......................................15 days of practice, 10 of which may involve practice

with another school(s).

Week preceding July 4 and week of July 4....................................SUMMER DEAD PERIOD

End of Summer Dead Period until Monday, week of August 1.......Weight training/conditioning permitted.

No open facilities. No practice.

Well, don't know what to say. Tried to see when the tryouts could be. Can't find the place. Tried to see when the coach could get involved. I'm not sure the coach can be involved in strength training and open gym. Can't find the place before season practice. Variation might be the answer. Indy's got a coach and hope she's got a certification to teach. She can talk to the players during school. The only thing this poster can say is Schools, don't get yourself in to this situation and at this time don't make the mistake of finger pointing.

Coach GAT, don't want to start anything and I'm sure you have followed col20 and her situation and maybe because others can likely get into the same situation, what would you do as a new coach walking into a situation like Indy, not looking back, but you have taken the job, your best player and a great guard prospect is gone and have taken the team just before the dead period started, have not had tryouts, have a new AD, have a new Principal and the only thing you have done was have a community meeting to introduce yourself and the new AD shows up with you at the meeting. What is your next step? Certainly the coach is the coach and should not be influenced by anything here. If you don't want to answer and had rather someone else would I can appreciate it.

I would pray for patience. I was in a very similar situation when I first got to Millington. I only had 4 days in the summer with the team and it was a very long year due to attitudes and girls not wanting to adjust to the new stuff I was trying to teach. We got better towards the end of the year and I promised them that it would be different for those that committed to summer ball. If I can help in any way just let me know. I wish you the best.

With open facilities it gives you a chance to see the girls play and that could be extremely helpful in seeing who can do what. Remember, you can't play, instruct or give feedback at all.