Union City,Obion Central & South Fulton

Just got back from the Union City-Dyer County scrimmage at Union City.....Final was Dyer County-6 TD's to Union City-4 TD's.....That's the bad news....

The good news....Union City showed a punishing ground game that at times dominated the much bigger 3A Choctaws...Union City had two very long drives end in turnovers, 1 inside the 5 yard line and 1 inside the 10 yard line....Colton Speed showed some flashy moves running the Bowling veer offense....Speed showed toughness also breaking quite a few tackles for good runs...Union City showed much more toughness than last season and alot more attitude...The defense was "big-played" on 5 of the Choctaw scores on long passes from the spread offense....Union City did sack the Choctaw QB at least 7 or 8 times during the scrimmage....Another bright spot was the fact when things did go bad for the Tornadoes they didn't hang their head and sulk about it...I know it's a first scrimmage but I thought the Tornadoes had a better grasp of the offense than I thought they would....In terms of changing the mindset of the program,I'd have to give Bowling,his staff and his kids an A.....When turning a program around you have to look deeper than wins and losses...Union City took a big first step today with their play...

I thought Union City only scored twice, with Dyer Scoring 6 or 7.

I was there, probably just missed it.

However, UC did have alot of toughness. They executed the veer pretty well for a first scrimmage. I was impressed with the pressure they were getting on Peyton Lucas, considering the returning o-line minus Adam Scott.

They did get gashed on some WR screens. But in all both teams look pretty good for there respective classes.

Week 0 20 days can't wait.

I thought Union City only scored twice, with Dyer Scoring 6 or 7.

I was there, probably just missed it.

However, UC did have alot of toughness. They executed the veer pretty well for a first scrimmage. I was impressed with the pressure they were getting on Peyton Lucas, considering the returning o-line minus Adam Scott.

They did get gashed on some WR screens. But in all both teams look pretty good for there respective classes.

Week 0 20 days can't wait.

You missed it....

DC-6.....UC-4....And UC had two long drives stopped by fumbles inside the 10....

You are right about the screens though.....The pass the Choctaws completed,#8 went untouched for a long score...A couple more of the passes the receiver should have been stopped but the Tornadoes were hurt by sloppy tackling...From watching Kennedy I could tell the secondary was out of place a few times to...If I were a Dyer County fan I'd be a little concerned that a small Union City d-line was able to get such a pass rush,alot coming from a very small sophmore nose guard and an undersized UC o-line was able to control the ball on the ground....UC will be a good 1A team but they are no Dyersburg,Haywood or Covington,teams the Choctaws will have to play in 7-3A...I'm sure DC will be OK though...It was just the first few days in pads and with all the guys they got back on the line will make for a solid team...

How are the Rebels looking??...From the article in the paper they seem to have the numbers back up.....From reading posts on the South Fulton Red Devils,they did pretty good in their three-way scrimmage.....After last season,with the county going 7-24,I'm hoping for all the programs to get better and be more respectable....I may try and catch one of the inter-squad scrimmages the Rebels are going to have...The kids that I have talked to are really excited about the upcoming season...

I can't wait either....I'm looking forward to get to see all the county teams and some other local teams this season...

I was there. UC dominated us in every aspect of the game. Coach Dyer did take our starters out after 1 series but we could not get nothing going while the starters were in the game. From the players I remember that are returning to McKenzie and the team I saw the other night in UC, UC will clearly be the favorite over McKenzie in my opinion. I honestly think that veer offense is a great thing for a team like UC especially at the Single A level. No one else runs that Offense around here so it'll be hard to prepare for.

I was there. UC dominated us in every aspect of the game. Coach Dyer did take our starters out after 1 series but we could not get nothing going while the starters were in the game. From the players I remember that are returning to McKenzie and the team I saw the other night in UC, UC will clearly be the favorite over McKenzie in my opinion. I honestly think that veer offense is a great thing for a team like UC especially at the Single A level. No one else runs that Offense around here so it'll be hard to prepare for.

McKenzie's coaches saw it twice(actually three times including the jamboree in Huntingdon)and did well against it in the regular season games.....Martin Westview saw it twice and didnt stop it either time...Lake County saw it in three or four scrimmages....

This was all when Bowling was at Obion Central....

I think the biggest difference is the toughness and the attitude....The kids seem stronger and they seemed to play with a little mean streak when I saw them play Dyer County....Good to see from Union City again....

Somebody will have to knock the man off and McKenzie is the man right now but Union City has done pretty well against them in the three years they have been in 1A...

Union City will play at JCS tomorrow(Friday)....Final scrimmage until the season opener at home against Martin Westview....

GC takes on Dyer Co. in the first look scrimmage over at Dyer Co. There's several other teams that will be there as well. DC and GC play in the nightcap around 8:00. I heard we did a little changing up after the Union City scrimmage. We'll see if it works tomorrow night! Good Luck to UC this year!

The JCS / UC Scrimage was a NO CONTEST !! Union city completely controlled the enitre game and JCS never crossed the mid field.

Looks Like Union City Football is heading back into the right direction, and in a hurry.

Should be fun!!!

I was really interested in seeing how the Tornado defense would handle teams that run the ball alot...The past few years they haven't been able to stop anyone with a physical running game.....To hear how they did against Gibson County and how they did last night is very encouraging.....Now with three full weeks to fine tune the offense and defense,the Tornadoes might just give Westview a run for their money in the opener....The Chargers have piled it on the Tornadoes the last few years.....UC shouldn't have a problem with motivation....I'm looking forward to seeing the new field design and new uniforms....

I was really interested in seeing how the Tornado defense would handle teams that run the ball alot...The past few years they haven't been able to stop anyone with a physical running game.....To hear how they did against Gibson County and how they did last night is very encouraging.....Now with three full weeks to fine tune the offense and defense,the Tornadoes might just give Westview a run for their money in the opener....The Chargers have piled it on the Tornadoes the last few years.....UC shouldn't have a problem with motivation....I'm looking forward to seeing the new field design and new uniforms....

The new uniforms are, from all accounts, very nice.