VOLUNTEER FALCONS / GATE CITY SCRIMMAGE?

VHSFALCONS

I couldn't disagree with you more! I know scrimmages are for working on things and finding your depth positions and all, but there is no way you can tell me that by "winning" a scrimmage against a equal opponent doesn't do wonders for your teams confidence! Just take a look at the sidelines the next time you go to a "practice" and look at the differences between the side thats winning and the side thats losing...... PRICELESS!!

I agree with you in a way....I think. Maryville rarely loses a scrimmage and you can look across their sideline and they're full of confidence. Gettin beat in any sport stinks, even if it doesnt count.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I couldn't disagree with you more! I know scrimmages are for working on things and finding your depth positions and all, but there is no way you can tell me that by "winning" a scrimmage against a equal opponent doesn't do wonders for your teams confidence! Just take a look at the sidelines the next time you go to a "practice" and look at the differences between the side thats winning and the side thats losing...... PRICELESS!!

I disagree. Although it might fire up your players to outscore another team in a scrimmage, that is not the purpose of a scrimmage. Its for coaches to test players and alignments etc. If a coach gets all caught up in "beating" the other team then he has probably wasted a scrimmage, and it will probably come back to bite him in a regular season game. If you practice right and scrimmage right the confidence will be there. They will have that

PRICELESS" look in a real game that counts.

I disagree. Although it might fire up your players to outscore another team in a scrimmage, that is not the purpose of a scrimmage. Its for coaches to test players and alignments etc. If a coach gets all caught up in "beating" the other team then he has probably wasted a scrimmage, and it will probably come back to bite him in a regular season game. If you practice right and scrimmage right the confidence will be there. They will have that

PRICELESS" look in a real game that counts.

Jack, I have a proposition for you. What do you say we call a cease fire and join forces for one day? Here it is.............this is Volunteer and Gate City right? Let's get a pool together and everyone puts $20 in. The person that gets the closest on the number of teeth in attendance takes the kitty. You in? I'm guessing they'll be 1,000 GC fans and about 200 Volunteer fans. So, I'll say 500 teeth. Okay, your turn. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

Jack, I have a proposition for you. What do you say we call a cease fire and join forces for one day? Here it is.............this is Volunteer and Gate City right? Let's get a pool together and everyone puts $20 in. The person that gets the closest on the number of teeth in attendance takes the kitty. You in? I'm guessing they'll be 1,000 GC fans and about 200 Volunteer fans. So, I'll say 500 teeth. Okay, your turn. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

Are we counting the Mules ?

Man, you are viscious.

Jack, I have a proposition for you. What do you say we call a cease fire and join forces for one day? Here it is.............this is Volunteer and Gate City right? Let's get a pool together and everyone puts $20 in. The person that gets the closest on the number of teeth in attendance takes the kitty. You in? I'm guessing they'll be 1,000 GC fans and about 200 Volunteer fans. So, I'll say 500 teeth. Okay, your turn.

For those that have matured and actually care, the scrimmage starts at 6 at Legion Field.

I thought it was funny how different the two perspectives of this scrimmage posted on TriCitiesSports.com are. It was covered by a Volunteer guy and a Gate City guy, and it is clear that they both wrote from their own biases. If you read both articles, you would think they were at two different scrimmages. To hear the Vol. guy, they won the scrimmage. But if you believe the GC guy, they won it. In the future it would probably be wise for Ron Bliss to send only one reporter at a time to scrimmages. It makes both reporters look silly and you don't know which one to believe.

I thought it was funny how different the two perspectives of this scrimmage posted on TriCitiesSports.com are. It was covered by a Volunteer guy and a Gate City guy, and it is clear that they both wrote from their own biases. If you read both articles, you would think they were at two different scrimmages. To hear the Vol. guy, they won the scrimmage. But if you believe the GC guy, they won it. In the future it would probably be wise for Ron Bliss to send only one reporter at a time to scrimmages. It makes both reporters look silly and you don't know which one to believe.

Ron Bliss himself was at the scrimmage I'm not to sure why there is two different reports it should have just been him writing one.

For those that have matured and actually care, the scrimmage starts at 6 at Legion Field.

It looked like a good overall scrimmage for both teams . volunteers offense looked liked it is going to be very balanced , and all 3 of the running backs looked very good and will definately compliment each other . The Rogers kid grew up alot yesterday , he runs hard and has great instincts , vision , and obviously some good speed . I believe if he works hard , he could be special . Defence overall looked pretty stout . These boys may surprise some people .

I didn't see much discrepancy in Ron Bliss' articles. He merely pointed out the high points for each team.

My personal assessment: 1's versus 1's were pretty much even. Gate City scored 5 TDs Volunteer 3 TDs but ones versus ones were two TDs each.

Gate City will do well and should go deep into the playoffs. They were very physical and seemed to be in great shape. The running back #8 for Gate City can fly and #43 is a beast in the backfield. Gate City's field was in great shape as well. I wish them the best this season.

Volunteer looked much better than last week but also identified some areas that need work, exactly what this scrimmage was for, to get better. Devon Rogers showed that he can take a lick and he also showed that he can outrun some of the faster defensive backs from Gate City. Offense seemed much smoother after another week of practice. Defense stopped Gate City two or three times when they got possesion on the Volunteer side of the field.I think everyone left injury free so overall it was a good night for both teams.

GO FALCONS