High School ball is here the" 25 commandments as told by Knute Ro

goldendome

always good to pass on

25 Commandments

Scholarship: The player should first be a good student. Do not neglect your studies. Your first purpose should be to get an education.

Cooperation: Everyone should work for the common good of the school and the squad. Everyone should boost everyone else; a disorganizer has no place on the squad.

Obedience: The public holds the coach responsible for the team; his orders must be obeyed. He is responsible for the system and the carrying out of the system, not necessarily the winning of the game.

Habits: Good habits are only doing those things which help and not doing those things that will harm or hinder.

Ambition: Keeping an eye on the future, always trying to improve oneself. Interest and spirit sometimes outweigh natural ability.

Attendance: Anything worth doing is worth doing well. Try not to miss a day of school or practice.

Earnestness: The desire to make every minute count, always wanting to do the right thing for the team and the school.

Morals: A high standard of living and thinking.

Sportsmanship: Good sportsmanship9 means clean and fair play. Treat your opponent with respect.

Conduct: Your school, family, town, community and yourself are judged by your conduct; you can make or break them.

Unity: Actions on part of every member of the squad for the common good.

Service: Students should always consider that they are receiving far more than they are giving. Their best efforts for their school are none too good.

Leadership: The willingness to help, guide or direct, in the right way, be example, words or actions.

Patience: The willingness to take and profit by the instructions received, although not a member of the first team.

Loyalty: To give your best service to the team, school, game and coach.

Self-sacrifice: Giving up some of the present things for the future.

Determination: The mental quality of strong determination is very necessary to win in the face of strong opposition.

Confidence: The belief in oneself, teammates, team and plays.

Remarks: Be careful of your remarks about anyone; if you cannot say something good, say nothing. Talking too much is bad policy.

Responsibility: Being dependable, the performing of one's duties, the desire to be known as responsible.

Concentration: During school hours, think and prepare your studies; they must be of first importance. During practice, think only of playing; if you have studied, you ill not have to worry about your schoolwork.

Losing: You can be a hard but good loser. Any coach or team that cannot lose and treat their opponents with respect has no right to win; a poor sportsman generally tries to amuse the spectators with his self-styled clever wit by making abusive remarks, which act as a boomerang by intelligent spectators.

Winning: If you are the rightful winner, be willing to take credit for it, but keep in mind that it was only your time to win and that your winning was probably due to conditions or a reward for your sacrifices; a kind word or a handshake goes a long way toward forming a lasting friendship, and does not change the score.

The Past: It is history. Make the present good, and the past will take care of itself.

The Present and Future: Give to your school the best that you have, and the best will come back to you. Your success in the future depends on the present. Build well.

The main one my OLD Coach always preached was, ...."the opposing teams cheerleaders are OFF LIMITS"! /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" />

I like these two myself;

Sportsmanship: Good sportsmanship9 means clean and fair play. Treat your opponent with respect.

Conduct: Your school, family, town, community and yourself are judged by your conduct; you can make or break them.

To bad more of our young people don't take these comments to heart anymore. (At any level)

The main one my OLD Coach always preached was, ...."the opposing teams cheerleaders are OFF LIMITS"! /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" />

My wife and I would not be married if i followed this one. All though if she keep jabbing me on the Ohio St./Michigan games stuff it may not last another year. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

I like these two myself;

To bad more of our young people don't take these comments to heart anymore. (At any level)

bulldog you are so right - i played HS ball back in 80 - 84 and those were the good ol days lol.............