New Coach

QueenBee

When it was announced that Coach Michael Dodgen was going to be the girl's basketball coach at SCHS...I welcomed him...and thought that was that...then it was announced that Coach Bobby Huffines was retiring from coaching Softball...and that Dodgen would be replacing him...my interest peaked...wanting only the best for the SCHS girls...I held my opinion close to the vest...well let me say...

COACH DODGEN IS IMPRESSIVE!!!...Welcome to SCHS...The Lady Owls are lucky to get such an enthusiastic young coach...one that is willing to work endlessly to make the team all that it can be...I'm looking forward to a great season...a great year for Lady Owl Softball...

GO LADY OWLS!!! :D

The Lady Owls are losing a very good coach in Coach Huffines. I have known Bobby for several years and he is a class guy on and off of the field.

We played Smith County last year and saw his teams play in several tournaments and they were always a class group of kids because they were coached by a Class Coach. Bobby has done and outstanding job with the program and has made it into one of the best in the state!

Yes Smith County may be getting a new coach who will do a good job but no one will replace Coach Huffines! Great Job Coach

John Conditt

Hume-Fogg High School

I want to clarify that I was not taking anything away from Coach Huffines...he's a great coach, a great man...and someone that I consider a friend...he took a Lady Owl softball team that was dying and breathed new life into it...took them to a level that few thought they would be able to reach...and for that...I am thankful...

This will be the first year since fast-pitch softball was started in Smith County that a Huffines won't be participating...either as a player...or a coach...and it is the Huffine's...Bobby and sister Pam...that we have to thank for getting the girls ready for a season that promises to hold many rewards...

Coach Dodgen has the newly re-organized Lady Owl Booster club excited about going onto that next level...and for wanting what is best for these girls...Coach Bobby Huffines had a lot to do with making sure that the girls are getting such a fine young man as their coach...I appreciate that...

GO LADY OWLS!

Guest beavis

What are Coach Dodgen's qualifications as a softball coach? Has he ever coached fastpitch softball on any level? If he did, did he have any success? Or is he new to the sport and will be learning on the fly?

[Edited by beavis on 8-5-02 10:45P]

Coach Dodgen completed his student teaching at Upperman and was involved with the Lady Bee's softball team under the guidance of Judy Delk...a longtime softball coach who enjoyed many years of success at Monterey...I believe that was his only experience in the actual coaching of a fastpitch softball team...However...he has been watching games...reading up on the sport...and has a winner's attitude...I think that by the time softball season gets here...the Lady Owls are going to have an enthusiastic coach...willing to learn the game...and expecting the best of himself and the team... :)

Queenbee said it best. He is studying the game and watching games. If you don't know how to play or coach study the game and learn from others that have been successful. I wish the Lady Owls good luck this spring. Your coach will lead you in the right direction if he loves the game.

[Edited by Sidetrain on 8-10-02 10:20P]

• 3 weeks later...

The Lady Owls are losing a great coach, I helped Bobby some when I was a asst. principal in Carthage and really enjoyed spending time with Coach H. I've coached at alot of schools; Lipscomb, Friendship, and now at Rossview in Clarksville, but I've always kept up with the Lady Owls. Coach H. was always class, good luck to you Coach, and good luck to the new coach, too. :D

Alls I know is 'round these parts, if'n you known as a good rock thrower you gotta be able to throw rocks good. It's a little like that discipline thang I's talkin about last week. Some of ya'll so use't payin' as you playin', ya'll done fergot that high skool is a put up or shut up, getcha bags an go home thang. Sheriff Andy Taylor got the power, the Mayor got some, Mrs. Wy-lie got some and even Goober got some, if'n you need work done on your carburator, unless you got one of them new fuel-injected ones. Goober don't work on them cuz Wally won't buy anything from that new guy over in Mt.Pilot and he's the only dealer 'round here.

You're right about the high school game, ET. And Mom, you're right about the power over these young girls. Coaches do have the power. Always have, always should. I won't say "always will", because the way sports, and society in general, is heading, we may not have coaches in the future. It's become a thankless job, and the hours haven't dropped at all. At one time, coaches were some of the county's most respected citizens. They did their job and people respected their decisions. Young athletes who didn't make the team either worked harder to make it next year or found new pursuits, but the goofy attitudes of today's baby-booming households never came into play. In the past, Mama's and Daddies of last year's all-star would have explained to the disappointed youngster that the most important thing was that they tried. The message was "you gave it your best shot, don't worry about it now-work to get better". Many of today's parents respond with, "that coach is an idiot, i'll call him/her tomorrow. Doesn't he know you have a junior pro all-star trophy?- even if your batting average was lower than the calories in a glass of water, you should have made that team if Jessica Brittany did". Now I know all parents don't react this way, but many do. And it's the wrong message to send your child. Unless you're willing to call the boss when he/she; loses a job, loses a promotion, etc., etc., :D

Well, it must seem that your little darling (s) were either cut or you were cut. Either one it is sad when people blame coaches for having discipline, trying to instill a winning attitude or the hard work and dedication it takes to have a winning program. You must still believe in having fun and making sure everyone gets to play well that is what happens when you pay to play. Anyone can make all tourney if there are only 2 or 3 teams in it. You or your girl(s) would probably would not have made your previous schools team at least they or you were given the opportunity for 1 season to improve, you did not and there were younger talent that was much better than you or your girl(s). Face it play summer ball get better and try again or face the fact that it is not what you were not meant to do. You do have to have some athletic ability to compete at this level and you apparently do not, do not blame the coaches. If you are a parent I would say quit living your dream thru your girl(s).Oh yea having a near .500 record and beating the defending state champs for their first year, it sounds like they did somethin right. ;):):x

[Edited by yep on 9-5-02 1:39P]