Ask the Ref - Rules Questions

TheGreatLineJudge

What? BB317??? A Calm and reserved person, more than a fan, with at least two daughters that has to race between Clarksville and the High school. And you say HE GOT a yellow card at one of the Matches???? OH MY???????????????

I love it... Never have received a yellow or red... notice I didn't say never deserved one!!!My new years resolution is to be more reserved (lol) AND just help everyone get along!!!This is why I try to be GLJ 2 when possible. Shuts me up!!

I have always said back in my basketball reffing days that it's amazing how good the officiating is when you don't care who wins!!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL! If anyone could get a yellow card from the stands it won't be me but maybe BB317?

Whew!!!!!!!!! What a relief. Play4 keeps, in getting off the bench you've eliminated your risk of a yellow card and only can get kicked out of the gym, but as the GLJ has mentioned, its rarely enforced. Hmmm,...............................back then it couldn't have been anyone else.

GLJ, don't want to throw you a curve but do you know any other changes or interptations that have changed this season? Was anything changed in the way the state Tournament officials were selected last year? You may not know. I hope we didn't scare everybody off in posting about all these cards. Come on where are some questions, there are none that are too hard with this Official. As you can see he is pretty specific in his answers.

Well 78, you would never make it in todays environment. You even hve to have your shoes on and your flips can't even be counted as athletic shoes. But your spandex woould fit in all right /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />. Seems like all of the posters and Officials of the past /motorbike.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":motorbike:" border="0" alt="motorbike.gif" /> , have arrived back at about the same time and maybe with all of the war stories of the past. Hope the PM chimes in as his remembrances will certainly "straighten out" some of the memory lapses that might occcur with some of these stories. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Heck, GLJ almost gave me a yellow card one time when I was calling lines!!

GLJ, in all seriousness and without having to name names, how about sharing some of your better "yellow card" stories??

VBD, you were always a good boy when your team was in the gym.

I'm straining to think of a truly memorable yellow story.. most of them aren't worth remembering because they're supposed to be minor.

I have never issued a red card in a high school match, but I did give one to a very deserving out of state club coach - call him "Coach A". This guy had been jawing at me left and right, about calls he wanted or didn't want called. Typical stuff. He finally gave me a bit too much lip service and I gave him a card. (Remember: under USAV rules, a yellow card is a point and no further penalty; red card is dismissal for the SET - not match - and no further penalty) The other team got their point and we moved on.

Maybe a few points later, he called a time out and came halfway across the court and started berating me. Starts saying stuff like he's an official in his home state and he knows people and stupid stuff. I said back, "IF YOU DON'T COOL IT, I'M GONNA THROW YOU OUT!" He kinda backed off a bit and went back to... coaching! We get to the deciding game and the tensions were high. (I found out later that the winner of the watch got to advance to the gold bracket and the loser stayed in silver.) Around the 7th or 8th point, I called the ball down or some other routine call and I noticed the young R2 had the other team's player in the net. I didn't see it before I blew my whistle, so I called the R2 over to discuss it. Before she made it over to me, Coach A started unloading on my JUNIOR R2. At that point, a major line had been crossed and it was time to go. I whipped out a red card and sent the guy on his way.. before the R2 told me what happened and Coach A earned the point from the play. He was too caught up in his own self to realize she was actually helping him out.

Courtesy takes you a long way!

VBD, you were always a good boy when your team was in the gym.

I'm straining to think of a truly memorable yellow story.. most of them aren't worth remembering because they're supposed to be minor.

I have never issued a red card in a high school match, but I did give one to a very deserving out of state club coach - call him "Coach A". This guy had been jawing at me left and right, about calls he wanted or didn't want called. Typical stuff. He finally gave me a bit too much lip service and I gave him a card. (Remember: under USAV rules, a yellow card is a point and no further penalty; red card is dismissal for the SET - not match - and no further penalty) The other team got their point and we moved on.

Maybe a few points later, he called a time out and came halfway across the court and started berating me. Starts saying stuff like he's an official in his home state and he knows people and stupid stuff. I said back, "IF YOU DON'T COOL IT, I'M GONNA THROW YOU OUT!" He kinda backed off a bit and went back to... coaching! We get to the deciding game and the tensions were high. (I found out later that the winner of the watch got to advance to the gold bracket and the loser stayed in silver.) Around the 7th or 8th point, I called the ball down or some other routine call and I noticed the young R2 had the other team's player in the net. I didn't see it before I blew my whistle, so I called the R2 over to discuss it. Before she made it over to me, Coach A started unloading on my JUNIOR R2. At that point, a major line had been crossed and it was time to go. I whipped out a red card and sent the guy on his way.. before the R2 told me what happened and Coach A earned the point from the play. He was too caught up in his own self to realize she was actually helping him out.

Courtesy takes you a long way!

Why am I thinking that the R2 was a girl on my team (and most likely my daughter?). I believe I remember a "northern" tournament where you threw out the coach...

Edit: The reason I remember this is that our team was PLAYING that match, not reffing (thankfully). It was not a great day by any means for GLJ. What a mess that match was and aptly named "Coach A" was ejected. We played them again at Nationals that year.

Maybe 3rd time is the charm and I will get this in the right spot. /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

Having mistakenly posted this on another section of the forum, hopefully this will be the right spot.

I am new enough to High School Volleyball that some of the calls and rules still need some explanation. One that comes to mind is a player playing "over the net."

At matches I watched last night, a coach from one of the teams was mildly complaining about players who played "over the net" and there was no call. What exactly does that mean? I thought that a player could hit a ball as it came over the net. I did get a reply that stated the ball must break the plane of the net before it can be played as well as you can't interfere with a ball being set. If a setter sets the ball close enough to the net, can it be attacked before or as it breaks the plane? Help, please!

Maybe 3rd time is the charm and I will get this in the right spot. /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

Having mistakenly posted this on another section of the forum, hopefully this will be the right spot.

I am new enough to High School Volleyball that some of the calls and rules still need some explanation. One that comes to mind is a player playing "over the net."

At matches I watched last night, a coach from one of the teams was mildly complaining about players who played "over the net" and there was no call. What exactly does that mean? I thought that a player could hit a ball as it came over the net. I did get a reply that stated the ball must break the plane of the net before it can be played as well as you can't interfere with a ball being set. If a setter sets the ball close enough to the net, can it be attacked before or as it breaks the plane? Help, please!

A couple of things to consider when looking at a play at the net:

Attacking

Attacking the ball when it is completely on the other side of the net (translation/criteria: the edge of the ball has not yet become even with the net) is NEVER legal. Ever. Even after the other team has had their third hit. ATTACKING is not the same as BLOCKING.

Blocking

Any ball that is in the plane of the net, even so much as the edge of it, is anyone's ball. It may be blocked or attacked by any player.

Blocking the ball, even when it is completely on the other side of the net, is legal in two circumstances:

1. The third contact has already been made by the other team; OR

2. The ball is falling near the net and no one from the other team appears to be able/willing to play it.

Once again, this is a judgment call.

However, a blocker may not interfere with play on the other side of the net. What's interference, you ask? The blocker takes care of business when:

1. The ball is falling near the net AND another player is running towards it to play the ball or is presently attempting to play (let's be clear... "running towards the ball" is not coming from the opposite corner of the court... they have to have a legitimate chance to make it over there); OR

2. The ball is in the midst of play. (Common example: the setter is attempting to set it towards her teammate).

What's the difference in a block and an attack? In layman's terms:

Block: Hands are stationary, generally flat and straight in the air or slanted over the opposite court (which is legal). The hands stay stationary throughout the course of a block or potential block; you do not see the hand/arm moving in a forward motion in the traditional concept of a volleyball "kill".

Attack: An expediting of the ball's forward motion towards the floor of the opposite court.

Forgive me for getting a bit cute towards the end, but there's a primer on over-the-net play.

A couple of things to consider when looking at a play at the net:

Attacking

Attacking the ball when it is completely on the other side of the net (translation/criteria: the edge of the ball has not yet become even with the net) is NEVER legal. Ever. Even after the other team has had their third hit. ATTACKING is not the same as BLOCKING.

Blocking

Any ball that is in the plane of the net, even so much as the edge of it, is anyone's ball. It may be blocked or attacked by any player.

Blocking the ball, even when it is completely on the other side of the net, is legal in two circumstances:

1. The third contact has already been made by the other team; OR

2. The ball is falling near the net and no one from the other team appears to be able/willing to play it.

Once again, this is a judgment call.

However, a blocker may not interfere with play on the other side of the net. What's interference, you ask? The blocker takes care of business when:

1. The ball is falling near the net AND another player is running towards it to play the ball or is presently attempting to play (let's be clear... "running towards the ball" is not coming from the opposite corner of the court... they have to have a legitimate chance to make it over there); OR

2. The ball is in the midst of play. (Common example: the setter is attempting to set it towards her teammate).

What's the difference in a block and an attack? In layman's terms:

Block: Hands are stationary, generally flat and straight in the air or slanted over the opposite court (which is legal). The hands stay stationary throughout the course of a block or potential block; you do not see the hand/arm moving in a forward motion in the traditional concept of a volleyball "kill".

Attack: An expediting of the ball's forward motion towards the floor of the opposite court.

Forgive me for getting a bit cute towards the end, but there's a primer on over-the-net play.

Cute is Good! Sometimes! I appreciate the answer and that definitely helps. One of these days I'm going to take the test throw myself in the court as a ref - just want to learn a bit more.

Announcements