Ask the Ref - Rules Questions

TheGreatLineJudge

Think of it as a return to the good ol' days.

My favorite thing to do on the boards, for the longest time, was to take the rulebook and breaking down new or less-understood elements of the game for your reading pleasure. Life without deep thought can be pretty boring sometimes.

Not long ago, someone reminded me that I love the game too much to be away from it; he was right. Between work and LU home matches, I'm going to try to make it out to some of our marquee tournaments this year. Speaking of LU, I'm hoping to see "a few good men" on the opposite corner, namely of traveling-partner fame. /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Like Mike said in a two word press release: "I'm back."

Without further ado, start firing some bullets! PHargis, the first shot is yours.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unbelieveable return but well appreciated. Since this season seems to have some rule changes, can you go thru them? On this thread, a contentious rule has to do, I think, with chairs and players being able to stand or sit at the end of a bench or row or chairs. Somehow, this doesn't seem new.

Yeah I would like to hear more on this chair rule as I just heard about it this week. Also I would like to bring up a question that I have had for a long time. as a ref what are your looking for when you call a two hit ball off a set? the reason I ask is I have seen this called so many different ways in both club and school ball. Some refs stress it and some look over it. I have seen some awesome setters get called for it and I have seen some ugly sets get passed by. just wondering what the rule of thumb was on this rule.

As far as the "chair rule" goes, there's been no change from the past. This is not a new rule, per se, rather most likely to be a newfound emphasis from our state office.

From the case book, under Rule 12, Conduct, subheading Bench Conduct:

12.2.7 Situation B The libero for Team B stands stretching behind the team bench whenever she leaves the court. RULING: The second referee directs the coach to have the player to be seated on the bench. COMMENT: Rule 12-2-7 is intended to allow players to warmup in preparation for entry into the contest. It is not appropriate for team members who will be re-entering the contest to continually stand in non-playable area. (Underlining is my own).

Now that you've seen the case book's text and before you start commenting on the JV team and the "players who never play" standing up, remember this:

-The bench is for players, managers, and coaches - all of whom are vital team personnel.

-The bench is not a community hangout for fans and friends of players.

-The team is not limited to player count during the regular season. Beyond regular season play, the team roster is limited to 14 playing members and no more than 6 additional personnel, including the head coach (per TSSAA regs).

But wait! Suzy played in the JV game, but she never plays during varsity. It's cool to stand and watch behind the bench, right? They let us last year!!

Answer 1: She's dressed out. As far as the referee is concerned, she's the star of the team. We can not, nominally, tell the difference in the star setter and star water girl.

Answer 2: If she's not dressed out and she's not a manager or injured player, why is she anywhere near the bench?

There's nothing wrong with having the whole softball or powderpuff football team joining the volleyball players on the bench, if that's what you want to do. Just remember: they can't stand behind the bench and the head coach retains liability for their conduct (aka yellow or red cards for acting out).

Again, it's standard operating procedure and has been for some time. It's become an emphasis point by TSSAA because we so many problems come up when the state tournament arrives. Teams are used to doing as they please and suddenly get nailed with cards when they think they're doing acceptable behavior. (Anyone remember Franklin's coach getting red carded in 2006 for the bench rolling around on the ground after a point? I thought the player's behavior was innocent and the punishment overzealous .)

================================================

To answer your question about double contacts off a set, the criteria are fairly simple:

I am watching the setter's hands and looking to see if the hands come apart, one moves upward ahead of the other, simultaneous contact, etc. These are all causes of an illegal double contact.

Application, though, is always the fun part. Quite frankly, it's a judgment call every time. There's knowing what to look for and then there's knowing you've found it.

Just a reminder:

-Double contact on the first ball, as long as it's all in a single deliberate attempt, is LEGAL.

Examples, though by no means conclusive:

---This would be something like an "ugly" overhead set as first touch;

---The ball hitting the left arm and then right arm immediately.

Hope those help!

One other point on the chair rule. There must be an even number of chairs on each side of the court. This can be 2 or 12, but it must be the same. Also, no players are allowed to sit on the ground beside the bench, and no one may stand behind the bench. If there are not enough chairs for the players, they are *supposed* to move to the stands. I suppose this is a safety thing.

For newer fans, its hoped you will never see a yellow or red card and it is likely you never will. But GLJ what are the implications of both cards. And for a practical implementation do they carry some warning or discussion before doing such depending on the flagerancy of an act? What disgression does the official have?

For newer fans, its hoped you will never see a yellow or red card and it is likely you never will.

Likely never will? Come on. It is more likely you cannot go an entire season without seeing a yellow card (at least on our courts!). Red, of course, is seen with much less regularity but yellow? I've seen players get yellow /ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ph34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" />

Likely never will? Come on. It is more likely you cannot go an entire season without seeing a yellow card (at least on our courts!). Red, of course, is seen with much less regularity but yellow? I've seen players get yellow /ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ph34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" />

Well, play4keeps, you have to admit that the WC team is very spirited and that never say die attitude goes all thru the team. it is understood that the team is awaiting the first,, with heated breath, the first event in the State that a Statskeeper from the stands gets a yellow card or.............................is that the second? Back some time ago.......................PageMan?????????????????????

Well, play4keeps, you have to admit that the WC team is very spirited and that never say die attitude goes all thru the team. it is understood that the team is awaiting the first,, with heated breath, the first event in the State that a Statskeeper from the stands gets a yellow card or.............................is that the second? Back some time ago.......................PageMan?????????????????????

LOL! If anyone could get a yellow card from the stands it won't be me but maybe BB317?

LOL! If anyone could get a yellow card from the stands it won't be me but maybe BB317?

What? BB317??? A Calm and reserved person, more than a fan, with at least two daughters that has to race between Clarksville and the High school. And you say HE GOT a yellow card at one of the Matches???? OH MY???????????????

Yellow card - minor unsporting conduct - warning only - mainly for stupid stuff... flapping your gums at the referee, being a little too animated, excessive bellyaching, etc. etc. Nothing that YOUR coach or players have ever done!

A yellow is no big deal. There's no direct penalty involved.

Red card - second minor or first major unsporting conduct - point to the other side and next serve - mainly for more stupid stuff or a first real no-no... telling the referee he's an idiot or that even your dead grandmother knows what really happened... talking serious trash across the net... ridiculous, unwarranted outbursts... or a secondary of the above listed dumb things that people do.

Red AND Yellow - third minor, second major, or first flagrant conduct - point/next serve to the other side and ejection from the match... you gotta cook up something pretty ugly to get ketchup and mustard together! Use your imagination and then supersize it to warrant this kind of response.

Note: You don't necessarily have to have received a warning before any of these actions take place. If the situation warrants, an official may go straight to an ejection.

Generally speaking, you receive a verbal warning (though this technically is the same as a yellow card) about what not to do.

Tim King once had a coach award him a "blue card" (made from a scratch piece of paper and blue Sharpie scribbles) during a college match. The coach in question was being dismantled and he was frustrated. He flapped his thoughtless gums and earned a yellow. Coach creates said blue card and mimicked Tim's yellow card motion. As Tim said to me later, "He said to me 'Blue card!'; so I pulled out the other color and said 'Red card!' " Tim then blew the whistle, crossed his arms across his chest, and ended the match (the red was match point).

Moral of the story: don't try to blue card an official.

However, you may ask for a clarification of why a call wasn't made. A few years ago at state, BB waved his hands at me and inquired (from Murphy Center crowd) as to why a ball he perceived to go over the antenna wasn't out of bounds. I politely signaled that the ball had remained inside the antennae. He never uttered another word. It's the quietest he's ever been!!! /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> Ask him next time you see him.

P.S. Officials may not card the crowd or any other non-team member. We may, however, politely eject a rowdy crowd member, though this RARELY happens.

Announcements