Eligibility

GOLONG

Does anyone know what the eligibility rules are for athletes that go to a community college to get there grades up, and then transfer to a Div. 1 school. Do they have to stay in the community college more than a year? Or can they just meet the div. 1 school grade

requirements, transfer and then start playing.

Msgov, my thoughts were to prevent the player from sitting out a year. Were the 9 hours that you spoke of remedial courses? If so, I think schools send these players to get used to college classes to get a foot in the door academically. By only taking 9 hours they are not full time students and do not lose a year of eligibility.

I have a son that needs to get his grades up, so he can transfer to a division 1 school and try and play.

The div 1 school will accept him if his grades are ok.

I think he has to take 24 hours of a C or better, but to play football people have told me that he has to get a degree from that comm. college first and then transfer, in order to play football. He would then loose 2 years of eligibility plus maybe another year if they make him sit out 1 yr. when he transfers. It sounds impossible if that's really the way it is.

I think he was a partial qualifier. He went to a div. 1 school and was able to practice with them up until the season started but then could no longer practice. He did not make the c average that he needed to make so he could recieve a scholarship and he left that school. (He's going to regret that later). He is now trying to get his grades back up so he can possibly go to another div.1 school. But what I'm hearing it's just getting into a school and then walking on. He would have to wait and get a degree from a comm. college.

The classes do not hae to be remedial classes. Now this info comes from my husband. Go to a community college take 9 hours during the summer, make a 2.0 OR better, then transfer to MTSU. You can not practice with the team. You can work out on your own, after you pass 24 hours thru the next year (fall & spring semester), you will be eligible to play the following year. If anyone knows how to circumvent the rules, MTSU probably has the answer.

Additionally, if an athlete wants to go to a D-II,D-III, or NAIA school the rules are different. For instance, NAIA allows you to have 10 semesters of eligibility... so if you play 3 years at an NCAA school with 6 full-time semesters you could go to an NAIA school & play 2 more years. Carson_Newman used to make a living from this method as did all NAIA schools

Thanks for the help. The NCAA has a web site you can print off the eligibility requirements. I did that. There is several different scenarios That might work, but for right now he will have to get at least 24 hours of of c or better, and than try to get into a div. 1 school. He may have to sit out another year, because of the transfer rule.