#1 team in the state

Owlpride2665

gbo,

Do you read or just rant? My posts never claimed that Maryville was the best team in the Northern Hemisphere or Milky Way - its alternatingly funny and frustrating that whenever folk do these #1 team smack down threads that Maryville is drug through the dirt for playing who they play. As I said, we've chosen to play the classification we're dealt. To the teams we've beaten in the last 61 games -do you realize how disrespectful these diatribes are to you all? "Maryville plays nobody." "Get a real schedule Rebels." "Maryville needs to go outside East Tennessee and play some good teams." I for one deeply respect the great coaches and players we've faced on Fridays and once a year on Saturday evenings. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> .

I mostly shoot first and ask questions later! /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

I fully realize the situation MHS is in...furthermore, you are putting words in my mouth when you write that I wrote that Maryville plays nobody. And no, your piety fails to gain you any points in this debate! /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> Furthermore, just because most of Maryville's opponent's have been unable to field strong teams most of their seasons is not being disrespectful. It's just reality; just calling spade a spade. Sorry you have trouble dealing with it. /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

so your saying that Alcoa doesnt recruit? right.... i really believe that one. They recruit, just differently from privates... "Here, pay $2000 dollars and come to our football powerhouse school.."

bring me some examples , until then , shut it /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

im pretty sure you bring me any players from the past 4 years that got playing time , and i can prove to you that they were not "recruited"

bring me some examples , until then , shut it /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

im pretty sure you bring me any players from the past 4 years that got playing time , and i can prove to you that they were not "recruited"

ok, you bring me some examples of D2 recruits, with proof, until then , shut it

so your saying that Alcoa doesnt recruit? right.... i really believe that one. They recruit, just differently from privates... "Here, pay $2000 dollars and come to our football powerhouse school.."

I'm willing to bet my life that Alcoa's not recruiting. I played on the 15-0 2000 Alcoa team I know for a fact all 40 players were from Blount Co.!! Sure there's kids that transfer in from other schools, but it's not like our coaches are going out and begging those players to come to Alcoa. Alcoa doesn't need to recruit! The talent has always been there we just needed the right coaches. Randall Cobb and Brandon Warren sure weren't recruited and look were they are now! Both will be starting in the SEC this weekend! So save that recruit bull for someone else??

ok, you bring me some examples of D2 recruits, with proof, until then , shut it

well first of all sir , you started this with your comment on " Alcoa doesnt recruit? yeah right"

so you bring the proof first.......and if you can show me WHERE I SAID THAT YOU ALL RECRUITED THEN I WILL BRING YOU PROOF , UNTIL THEN /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

"Why are they private then?? explain to me how all that works because I don't understand."

DL and Goodpasture and a few others are not in DII because, tho private, they do not offer financial aid to students. All the DII schools like BA, MBA, Ensworth, etc. can give NEED-BASED financial aid to students. Generally it works like applying to a college: a student applies knowing that he will probably receive aid if he can't afford it. A family with a combined income of 50,000 wouldn't be forced to spend more than 20% of their income on school...so they'd be able to pay about 10,000 to a private school (assuming it's one of the expensive ones). Football players are thus not "recruited" in the way that colleges recruit (full rides, scholarships, benefits, etc.).

The ultimate question comes down to why a student would want to go to a private school - almost never is a family so poor that the student gets a free ride to a private school. It's either go to FREE public school or costly private school. In the case of BA and MBA, they recruit by name recognition and fame more than anything else ------------ the same way that Alcoa and Maryville have gained reputations and transfers. Many good players go to privates because they get individual attention and exposure that they wouldn't get at most publics.

Alcoa and maryville play friday????? what am i doin on here???? /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Same as me, reading a thread thats turned upside down with outragious statements stemming from private to what parts of the state play the best ball...Hey im hoping ya'll beat Maryville friday night. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> .hopefully with no injuries on either team..

Fri Aug. 22 Antioch W 45-19

Sun Aug. 31 at Archbishop Moeller Ohio vs. USA Challenge 11CDT

Fri Sep. 5 at Baylor R

Fri Sep. 12 at Hillsboro

Fri Sep. 19 Pope John Paul II R

Fri Sep. 26 Ravenwood Homecoming

Fri Oct. 3 at Ensworth R

Fri Oct. 10 at Brentwood Academy R

Fri Oct. 24 Father Ryan R

Fri Oct. 31 McCallie R

Fri Aug. 22 at Knoxville Halls R W 28-7

Fri Aug. 29 Alcoa

Fri Sep. 5 Clinton R

Fri Sep. 12 at Heritage

Fri Sep. 19 at Powell R

Fri Sep. 26 William Blount

Fri Oct. 3 Knox Central R

Fri Oct. 10 at West R

Fri Oct. 17 South Doyle R

Fri Oct. 31 at Lenoir City R

Fri Aug. 22 Independence W 27-14

Fri Aug. 29 at Ravenwood

Fri Sep. 5 McCallie R

Fri Sep. 12 Smyrna

Fri Sep. 19 at Baylor R

Fri Sep. 26 at Prattville (Al) on ESPNU

Fri Oct. 3 at Pope John Paul II R

Fri Oct. 10 MBA R

Fri Oct. 17 BGA R

Fri Oct. 31 at Father Ryan R

Dear Sir or Madam,

No one is submitting to you that Maryville has a weak program; on the contrary, most posts on this board speak volumes to the accomplishments of Maryville, especially under King George's reign. That is not meant as anything other than a huge compliment, so don't take that out of context. I know and like George very much; he could accomplish what he has done at Maryville at any place he wants to; he is that good! What Maryville has accomplished as a program is nothing short of outstanding.

What most of us "private school boys" are simply saying is that week in and week out, we play a very tough and demanding schedule. Many of those games are hard fought into the 4th Quarter; the schedules above illustrate that point very clearly. The impact of keeping a team's one's and two's in the game for the majority of the contests week in and week out take a toll on the health of a team. I submit to you that the impact of either MBA's or BA's schedule above on Maryville's team and record would be significant to say the least.

Could Maryville run the table and beat McCallie, Baylor, MUS, Christian Brothers, Ryan, Brentwood Academy, MBA, and then Brentwood Academy and MBA again in the playoffs while playing an out of conference schedule that includes the majority of the last year's top 5 in the State of Tennessee and throw in a couple of out of State powerhouses? Keep in mind that under the scenario above, even your weaker games will keep your starters in for at least 3 quarters. As a result, you can count on the loss of multiple 1st stringers and be required to replace them if the streak was to continue.

Don't make yourself look ignorant by speaking down to the fact that the playoffs in D-II are short; the teams are still among the elite of Prep football in this State, and to beat a solid team twice in the same year is very difficult.

Could Maryville beat MBA or BA? You bet they could; anything can happen on a Friday night in TN.

Could they run the table in D-II? I don't think so, and that is exactly what MBA did last season. Therefore, to the point of this thread, MBA stands at the top until BA, Hillsboro, Ravenwood, Ensworth, or someone else knocks them off.

You make an excellent point, Flyby. Maryville is an outstanding team, but they would never win 60 consecutive games playing a schedule the caliber of MBA or BA. All these Maryville guys keep saying that they HAVE to play all three Blount County teams. The money from the gates would be just as good, if not better, if they played a powerhouse from outside of their county or an out-of-state team. The best team they play every year is Alcoa, and that just doesn't warrant consideration for a top billing in the overall state rankings. Until they play a tougher schedule they will always be behind MBA and BA. That being said, I think Maryville would fare very well if they played a D-II schedule, but they sure as heck would not be running away with state every year. I would go so far as to say that they would win a state title or two, but definitely would not dominate like they have been.

I shouldn't do this, but I will anyway. I see Maryville as an Ohio State. They run through the Big Ten and go undefeated. They win one big game a year and then run through their conference. MBA and BA are like Florida and LSU. They play in the SEC and usually lose a game, if not two, because of the schedule. When they play in the national championship they are ready because of their brutal schedule that they have just played, and will usually win.

To wrap things up, Maryville will never be considered to be as good as teams like MBA or BA until they start laying it on the line and playing better teams.

I mostly shoot first and ask questions later! /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

I fully realize the situation MHS is in...furthermore, you are putting words in my mouth when you write that I wrote that Maryville plays nobody. And no, your piety fails to gain you any points in this debate! /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> Furthermore, just because most of Maryville's opponent's have been unable to field strong teams most of their seasons is not being disrespectful. It's just reality; just calling spade a spade. Sorry you have trouble dealing with it. /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

gbo,

I've been called many things, but pious is not one of them. I am not worthy of your flattery - alas I lack the faith of the truly pious. For instance, I lack the faith to believe you really, truly "understand the situation of MHS" or faith that you are in a position to, with a broad brushstroke over the past decade, say "Maryville's opponents have been unable to field strong teams." The list of Maryville's worthy opponents has been listed on this site many times. By any standard, it is impressive. To me the true test of the worthiness of an opponent is whether they make you better. Considering our season has extended to 15 games in 9 of the 11 past seasons, and 14 games in the other 2, the teams we've played from every corner of the state have clearly readied us to have success the following week and the following season. Usually this point is missed by posters who then go and compile a list of the worst teams that Maryville has played the past decade - a list that could be generated of any team. Calling out a few hapless teams we've played does nothing but prove the general point that they are the exception to.

This thread has clearly digressed from a discussion of the best team this year to a gabfest on who has the best perennial program. That said, over the past 10-12 years, whose team has had the best ride? Whose fans have had the most to celebrate? Whose coaches have done the best job of getting their lads ready to play on Fridays? Most importantly, who is builiding character into the hearts of young men that will extend well beyond the gridiron? Except for those of us ready to host our own football shows, these are the ways that the rest of us tend to measure high school football success. If you want to measure it in other ways, you can do that without the tawdry disparagement of a team that never initiates these mythic state and national claims.