#1 team in the state

Owlpride2665

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Who's the best?

BA will be the presumptive best team in the state year and out as long as Potter coaches and has a 1.2 million population base to draw from (before it starts; I didn't write "recruit from"). I realize there's a team in East TN that has a long winning streak against small school competition but the streak is built upon small school competition. I also am aware BA was beat twice last year by MBA but Potter's offense and players will ultimately become a dominating program over the next decade. I predict at least 6 state championships.

All you private school guys crack me up . Always wanting to talk Maryville down . Everything Is just an opinion guys , It's your's that Maryville stinks , It's mine that we would of kicked your butts all over the field several times , prove either one wrong . If you guys want to prove how dominant you are in all football classes , come and get you some , all you have to do Is quit handing out $20,000 scholarships to the best athletes . See , it works both ways , I just hate it if I've upset you guys , haha .

All you private school guys crack me up . Always wanting to talk Maryville down . Everything Is just an opinion guys , It's your's that Maryville stinks , It's mine that we would of kicked your butts all over the field several times , prove either one wrong . If you guys want to prove how dominant you are in all football classes , come and get you some , all you have to do Is quit handing out $20,000 scholarships to the best athletes . See , it works both ways , I just hate it if I've upset you guys , haha .

/roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

next why dont we combine Alcoa and Maryville , and make one super highschool and just go into the NCAA /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

/roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

next why dont we combine Alcoa and Maryville , and make one super highschool and just go into the NCAA /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I can not even Imagine how good a Football team we could of had over the years , If we could of cherry picked from Maryville and Alcoa . /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

I'm always pleased to provide a little comic relief to this board. You've certainly won this debate. It would be darn near impossible to respond adequately to such an eleqount defense of a Tennesee public high school education. I bet you were the valedictorian of your class.

I've grown weary over the past 15 years of certain schools in the smaller classifications beating up on inferior competition and crowing about how they are the best in the state. If you are 5A champ that is all you are is 5A champ. If you are 4A champ, that is all you are, the 4A champ. I don't care how many consecutive games you have won. But it is not all your fault for the predicament in which you find yourselves. The TSSAA (a state actor as we now know) bears much accountability here.

Consider that actions speak louder than words. It appears to me that the actions of the TSSAA (which is controlled by the public schools) favor the public schools as it has voted the desires of majority of its constituents and under the banner of, "If you can't beat'em don't play them!" created a watered-down high school football classification system. They can deny that this is the reason for the public/private split. (...actions speak louder than words) and say it's because certain privates give financial aid (while the publics don't charge anything...what an advantage they have) but it was really because certain publics were tired of losing to certain privates.

I heard former MBA head coach and now Phoenix Cardinals' QB coach Jeff Rutledge say that in 2005 he called 75 Tennessee public school football coaches to schedule a 10th game for Week Zero of the 2006 football season and couldn't get one because no one wanted to play MBA. So he went out of state and scheduled a team, Lexington Dunbar, in Lexington, KY. (...actions speak louder than words.) I.E. if you want to be the best you have to play the best...and he beat them on their field.

I'm not a BA fan, but I will give them credit for this: Back in the seventies BA began whipping butt at the lowest level of TSSAA competition, and as the seasons progressed they upgraded (regardless of their enrollment) all the way to 5A winning state championships at every level. Public school coaches and adminstrators (former Riverdale principal, Hulon Watson, and former Riverdale head coach, Gary Rankin, were chief among them) could be heard crying all the way to Nashville. Then the split occured! (If you can't beat'em, legislate them out of the way!) Maryville High supporters, players and coaches can make all the excuses they want as to why they don't, won't, can't play top competition, but the fact remains they are 4A and they play a 4A schedule. (Then Gary Rankin had the gaul and nerve apply for the MBA head coaching position! I wonder how long the MBA board of trust considerd that piece of paper before sticking it in the round file?)

Nashville David Lipscomb has kicked 2A and 3A butt for years in the public school division, yet they don't claim to be anything other than 3A champs! They know they don't play the big boys; just go to their games and watch their opponents and you can tell for yourselves. And they are a 2A school based on enrollment but the public school-controlled TSSAA Board of Control forces them to play up with a 1.8 multiplier, the highest multiplier in the country! This year, when they win their umpteenth "state championship" they will tell that it will be the 3A title, nothing more and nothing less.

So, Maryville High, take a hint from Lipscomb. If you are the best in 4A, don't claim you're the best in the state until you start beating top competition from outside your geographical comfort zone. (You are just a big fish in a small pond!)

You can criticize the MBAs and BAs all you want, but they have a history of playing and for the most part defeating top competition from not only the state of Tennessee but from the Southeast. Until you have done the same be careful how loud you and to whom you crow lest they think you are a fool.

Now don't get RollRedRoll started on this because he will hit you square between the eyes with his records. He'll post something like this: Since the public/private split, the original Super 7 Conference teams (MUS, Christian Brothers, Father Ryan, MBA, Brentwood Academy, Baylor and McCallie) have a winning percentage against TSSAA 4A and 5A competition that is somewhere north of 80% (RRR has the exact percentage). Furthermore, he will post that, since the split, the D-II champion has never lost to a 4A or 5A opponent or eventual 4A or 5A champion in their D-II championship season. The conclusion many draw from this is that, in general, the D-II champion is the odds-on favorite to be able to honestly claim to to be the top team in the state. But, we don't really know that because the public school controlled TSSAA will not allow the 5A champ to play the D-II champ. I wonder why? Is it because they are afraid that the D-II champ will win most of the games over a 10-year period? And if they were to do so, so what? At least Tennessee will have a legitimate state champion. Right now, all we have is division champions who are labeled by the TSSAA as state champions. How lame is that?

Again, actions speak louder than words. The TSSAA (public school principals, coaches and supporters) can talk all they want about fairness and crow about their umpteen dozen division er ah state championships, but until they structure it so that the 5A champ plays the D-II champ at the end of the season, and beats them, the claim of a 5A (much less a 4A) team of being the best in the state is mythical, at best.

Meanwhile, to be the best, one still has to play the best (even the high school kids will tell you that) and those who have been doing so will continue to do so.

gbo,

Do you read or just rant? My posts never claimed that Maryville was the best team in the Northern Hemisphere or Milky Way - its alternatingly funny and frustrating that whenever folk do these #1 team smack down threads that Maryville is drug through the dirt for playing who they play. As I said, we've chosen to play the classification we're dealt. To the teams we've beaten in the last 61 games -do you realize how disrespectful these diatribes are to you all? "Maryville plays nobody." "Get a real schedule Rebels." "Maryville needs to go outside East Tennessee and play some good teams." I for one deeply respect the great coaches and players we've faced on Fridays and once a year on Saturday evenings. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> .

gbo,

Do you read or just rant? My posts never claimed that Maryville was the best team in the Northern Hemisphere or Milky Way - its alternatingly funny and frustrating that whenever folk do these #1 team smack down threads that Maryville is drug through the dirt for playing who they play. As I said, we've chosen to play the classification we're dealt. To the teams we've beaten in the last 61 games -do you realize how disrespectful these diatribes are to you all? "Maryville plays nobody." "Get a real schedule Rebels." "Maryville needs to go outside East Tennessee and play some good teams." I for one deeply respect the great coaches and players we've faced on Fridays and once a year on Saturday evenings. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> .

Its all about respect , people would rather get on here , and boast about their team , when they prolly never sat foot on a football field in their life. People have forgotten about what the game is really about

I'm always pleased to provide a little comic relief to this board. You've certainly won this debate. It would be darn near impossible to respond adequately to such an eleqount defense of a Tennesee public high school education. I bet you were the valedictorian of your class.

HAHA , CLASSIC !! I just love it when one of you brilliant Private school guys try to act superior , because of your $20,000 education ! I'm just an ignorant old Murvull boy there , soccerpro1 , but let me give you a little advice ... use spellcheck on your post whenever you go that " superior intellect " route . /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

It's spelled E-L-O-Q-U-E-N-T...... Demand a refund !! lol

So tell me one more time so that I am clear who does MBA have to beat to get a gold ball and how many playoff games do they have to play? How many 5a playoff games do they play? I mean since it is Tennessee's highest classification I am sure that MBA would have to play in it right? Let me say this. It is 11 on 11 every friday night and it does not matter how many people go to your school you can only put 11 on the field. The idea that by being a 5a school and you have an enrollment that has 400 more kids means you have better coaches,players, and tradition is ridiculous. By the way for those that do not know MBA is not 5A but they do get a chance to win the state every year because all the have to do is usually beat Brentwood Acadamy and lately they have not been able to do that. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

Fri Aug. 22 Antioch W 45-19

Sun Aug. 31 at Archbishop Moeller Ohio vs. USA Challenge 11CDT

Fri Sep. 5 at Baylor R

Fri Sep. 12 at Hillsboro

Fri Sep. 19 Pope John Paul II R

Fri Sep. 26 Ravenwood Homecoming

Fri Oct. 3 at Ensworth R

Fri Oct. 10 at Brentwood Academy R

Fri Oct. 24 Father Ryan R

Fri Oct. 31 McCallie R

Fri Aug. 22 at Knoxville Halls R W 28-7

Fri Aug. 29 Alcoa

Fri Sep. 5 Clinton R

Fri Sep. 12 at Heritage

Fri Sep. 19 at Powell R

Fri Sep. 26 William Blount

Fri Oct. 3 Knox Central R

Fri Oct. 10 at West R

Fri Oct. 17 South Doyle R

Fri Oct. 31 at Lenoir City R

Fri Aug. 22 Independence W 27-14

Fri Aug. 29 at Ravenwood

Fri Sep. 5 McCallie R

Fri Sep. 12 Smyrna

Fri Sep. 19 at Baylor R

Fri Sep. 26 at Prattville (Al) on ESPNU

Fri Oct. 3 at Pope John Paul II R

Fri Oct. 10 MBA R

Fri Oct. 17 BGA R

Fri Oct. 31 at Father Ryan R

Dear Sir or Madam,

No one is submitting to you that Maryville has a weak program; on the contrary, most posts on this board speak volumes to the accomplishments of Maryville, especially under King George's reign. That is not meant as anything other than a huge compliment, so don't take that out of context. I know and like George very much; he could accomplish what he has done at Maryville at any place he wants to; he is that good! What Maryville has accomplished as a program is nothing short of outstanding.

What most of us "private school boys" are simply saying is that week in and week out, we play a very tough and demanding schedule. Many of those games are hard fought into the 4th Quarter; the schedules above illustrate that point very clearly. The impact of keeping a team's one's and two's in the game for the majority of the contests week in and week out take a toll on the health of a team. I submit to you that the impact of either MBA's or BA's schedule above on Maryville's team and record would be significant to say the least.

Could Maryville run the table and beat McCallie, Baylor, MUS, Christian Brothers, Ryan, Brentwood Academy, MBA, and then Brentwood Academy and MBA again in the playoffs while playing an out of conference schedule that includes the majority of the last year's top 5 in the State of Tennessee and throw in a couple of out of State powerhouses? Keep in mind that under the scenario above, even your weaker games will keep your starters in for at least 3 quarters. As a result, you can count on the loss of multiple 1st stringers and be required to replace them if the streak was to continue.

Don't make yourself look ignorant by speaking down to the fact that the playoffs in D-II are short; the teams are still among the elite of Prep football in this State, and to beat a solid team twice in the same year is very difficult.

Could Maryville beat MBA or BA? You bet they could; anything can happen on a Friday night in TN.

Could they run the table in D-II? I don't think so, and that is exactly what MBA did last season. Therefore, to the point of this thread, MBA stands at the top until BA, Hillsboro, Ravenwood, Ensworth, or someone else knocks them off.

HAHA , CLASSIC !! I just love it when one of you brilliant Private school guys try to act superior , because of your $20,000 education ! I'm just an ignorant old Murvull boy there , soccerpro1 , but let me give you a little advice ... use spellcheck on your post whenever you go that " superior intellect " route . /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

It's spelled E-L-O-Q-U-E-N-T...... Demand a refund !! lol

/roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />