What is Wrong?

Columbus

Smyrna fans are not really expecting the same show this year that they have had the past 2 years are they? Schools have down years. Due to either lack of good coaching or lack of talent( in this case you can take your pick). My advice to Smyrna fans is just keep supporting your team and when the sun shines(take back to back state titles for example) savor it and enjoy it and realize all good things must come to an end eventually. I think the Smyrna fans should accept the fact that its going to be a couple of down years here. Just keep supporting the team.

Your right, I as a Smyrna fan, I do not expect the same results as the last 2 years to go on for ever. No realistic fan would. I understand that there are many changes and adjustments that need to be made and accepted by the staff and players.

What I will not accept is the sloppy undisciplined play. You can say that it??™s a result of a new staff and new philosophies. But that will not excuse the players from walking on and off the field. That should be addressed, on the spot. It will not excuse the players making mistakes and when they get to the sideline, there is no coaching going on, right then. There seems to be very little teaching going on when mistake are made. Now maybe this is done in the locker room or in film study but my point is, you need to do some ???on the field??? coaching as well.

I will disagree with you when you state Smyrna does not have the talent they had in the resent pasted. I feel it is opposite. Smyrna has talent. They may not have a Sonny Grey or Rod Wilks but they don??™t come along every day. You know? They have a great D-Line and an O-Line that has size and should be better. Lastly they have great team speed and one of the best RB in the state.

What they do not have is a QB that is ready to take a snap let alone run a offence. They have 1 JR QB that played 1 half of a game last year and is now hurt. They have 2 sophomores that just are not ready for Varsity Football. Sorry but it??™s a fact. I fell this is what??™s wrong with Smyrna as of now.

As far as everyone Saying ???Shad??? knew the talent was down so he got out. This could not be further from the truth. Talent in Smyrna is fine. Their JV and freshmen team is pretty solid and have some great talent in the pipeline.

He left for family reasons and a new start with a fairly new program.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your right, I as a Smyrna fan, I do not expect the same results as the last 2 years to go on for ever. No realistic fan would. I understand that there are many changes and adjustments that need to be made and accepted by the staff and players.

What I will not accept is the sloppy undisciplined play. You can say that it??™s a result of a new staff and new philosophies. But that will not excuse the players from walking on and off the field. That should be addressed, on the spot. It will not excuse the players making mistakes and when they get to the sideline, there is no coaching going on, right then. There seems to be very little teaching going on when mistake are made. Now maybe this is done in the locker room or in film study but my point is, you need to do some ???on the field??? coaching as well.

I will disagree with you when you state Smyrna does not have the talent they had in the resent pasted. I feel it is opposite. Smyrna has talent. They may not have a Sonny Grey or Rod Wilks but they don??™t come along every day. You know? They have a great D-Line and an O-Line that has size and should be better. Lastly they have great team speed and one of the best RB in the state.

What they do not have is a QB that is ready to take a snap let alone run a offence. They have 1 JR QB that played 1 half of a game last year and is now hurt. They have 2 sophomores that just are not ready for Varsity Football. Sorry but it??™s a fact. I fell this is what??™s wrong with Smyrna as of now.

As far as everyone Saying ???Shad??? knew the talent was down so he got out. This could not be further from the truth. Talent in Smyrna is fine. Their JV and freshmen team is pretty solid and have some great talent in the pipeline.

Very well said good post

Very well said. Great Post.

Bulldog86 Great post! Smyrna has alot of talent. Also have had one of the better middle school programs in Rutherford county for some years now! You hit the nail on the head with the issues you pointed out. Hopefully these coaches and players will start to get this thing turned around. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Amen! Shad could never get over the hump that was R'dale until he got a QB coach that was able to teach the QB to exploit R'dales one real weakness in the secondary at the time.

Wow I'm a little surprised to see something like this from you. Glad I came on here late looks like others are posting some great responses. This crap about shad is exactly why I don't get on these boards anymore 1a treats everyone much nicer and is more kind all the way around I think ill just stay there.

Let me give you some more insight into what Matt Williams has done since he got there. Like handing out play books to all the smyrna players and coaches that still say "Blackman" on the front cover wow what an intellegent move on Matts part want your team to have faith in you giving them a play book that obviously wasn't working for another team to a team like smyrna doesn't show any intelligence in my opinion OR my favorite from Monday the players are so upset with him that 35 didn't show up for a mandatory practice and 12 were late but what do I know I'm just hating on the new guy for fun and have no information to back up my feelings.

If this is true, I am even more concerned then I was before. This is UN real! 35 players not showing up for a practice? 12 were late? What an unbelievable cluster. This is tough. This tells me Coach Williams has a team that does not respect him or his authority. I??™m not saying that the 47 players that did this were right but mayde Coach Williams and his staff need to look at themselves in the mirror and ask why!! He is going to have an important decision this week. Does he dress these 35/47 players that did not show? If he does he could have bigger problems in the future. WOW!! I am surprised to hear this is going on at such a program as Smyrna and if it is not fix fast, it could effect not only this years team but teams I the near future as well.

My advice is fix it! And Fix it fast!!!

An average team????? You just showed how much you really know about football making a comment like that. hahahaha.....

"AVERAGE" teams don't make the playoffs EVERY YEAR for the last 14 years except ONE.....

Alex Robbins was a great help but he was not the reason we went "all the way" Sonny and Rod had God given talent, don't put that "glory" on anyone other than them. They were well coached by BOTH coaches not just one, remember Alex Robbins was just the QB coach and the QB wasn't the only star on that field...

Don't take credit away from Shadowens he was the "glue" that held that team together and the more this season we are in now goes on, the more apparent my statement is becoming!

PLUS Shad had a GREAT coaching staff, not just Shad and not just Robbins, the kids respected all of them and trusted them, it was NOT just one coach or ONE player is was all of them together!

Very average teams make the playoffs in Tennessee today and some make the playoffs without having a winning recored.

Very average teams make the playoffs in Tennessee today and some make the playoffs without having a winning recored.

Yeah but none of them, including the "great" and "powerful" "other" team in Rutherford County could pull back to back state championships. Doesn't matter what anyone else did in the course of 20 years, no one else in the county has gone back to back and gotten titles at both appearances.

Bottom line you can say whatever you wish about Philip Shadowens, Alex Robbins, or the team they coached, but THAT team went all the way two years in a row, won it, and NO OTHER team in Rutherford County can say they did that. So talk all the smack you want, make all the excuses you want, but you can't take that from the coaches or the players so what you say, in the end, doesn't really matter.

Good luck to Smyrna tonight, I hope those boys do a great job and can pull their first win of the season!

Always and forever, GO BULLDOGS!!!!!!!