News from Wilson County....

Football Man

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go to the Wilson County School Board's website. You can open, view & print the proposed budget. The first page is "Area of Consideration for Potential Cuts From the General Purpose School Fund 2008-09". The top 3 - Eliminate new school buses - $800,000; Eliminate new bus routes - $150,000; Eliminate coaching supplements - $593,160. Interestingly enough though at the bottom 2 unbudgeted items that will have to be coverd by FY 2009-10: 20% increase in Electricity - $521,000 - understandable -- We all feel that pain; Payment of $1,350,000 to KBJM Architects - So, let me get this straight. We can pay for an unbudgeted item of $1.35 million for an architect, but we can't make sure our children have decent buses, adequate bus routes or pay our coaches & club sponsors. Sounds like Wilson County has its priorities mixed up.

This proposal will effect countless number of children in Wilson County. Stand up people of Wilson County. Let your voices be heard. Support your children, their schools & all the programs. Contact the School Board & your county commissioner.

Go to the Wilson County School Board's website. You can open, view & print the proposed budget. The first page is "Area of Consideration for Potential Cuts From the General Purpose School Fund 2008-09". The top 3 - Elimate new school buses - $800,000; Elimate new bus routes - $150,000; Eliminate coaching supplements - $593,160. Interestingly enough though at the bottom 2 unbudgeted items that will have to be coverd by FY 2009-10: 20% increase in Electricity - $521,000 - understandable -- We all feel that pain; Payment of $1,350,000 to KBJM Architects - So, let me get this straight. We can pay for an unbudgeted item of $1.35 million for an architect, but we can't make sure our children have decent buses, adequate bus routes or pay our coaches & club sponsors. Sounds like Wilson County has its priorities mixed up.

This proposal will effect countless number of children in Wilson County. Stand up people of Wilson County. Let your voices be heard. Support your children, their schools & all the programs. Contact the School Board & your county commissioner.

Sounds like somebody has their hands in the architects' cookie jar. Can you say "kick back."

Budgets are being mis-managed everywhere. Rutherford County has taken the one design approach for a lot of years now to save money. Oakland and R'dale were mirrors of each other. Same goes now for Siegel and Blackman.

I do NOT know where the designs for Smyrna and LaVergne came from or if they mirror each other.

Commissioners and school board members have been making money on selling land to counties to put schools on for years so that is not a new scam. Now we have the 'Northern' model coming in of construction companies giving kickbacks under the table to contend with. While hard to prove, it can be done.

Add to this the extra expenses the schools have now of having to have 'Spanish Speaking' teachers for kids who are NOT citizens of this country. Then there is the new fad of EVERY classroom having to have its own TV's, DVD players and computers. While for one of two rooms it is not much but when you do it for every classroom for a entire school it adds up fast.

We also have the expenses of sports who do NOT generate income to fund. Ask yourself if you are not a parent of a cross country runner when was the last time you paid to go watch a meet? Then there are things now being added of having to have Police in the schools. Used to be the Principal and teachers could control the problems any school had. These usually come from the Sheriffs budget, but it comes from the entire pool of county money.

Add to this as the schools have grown the fact that districts have added way more 'adminstration positions' to fund. Some of which I still do not know what their JOB really is!

Add it all together it spells higher taxes for the folks of the county, and raising any taxes is NOT popular with politicians as it costs them votes.

Commissioners and school board members have been making money on selling land to counties to put schools on for years so that is not a new scam. Now we have the 'Northern' model coming in of construction companies giving kickbacks under the table to contend with. While hard to prove, it can be done.

AMEN!

COunty commissioners are the first people to tell you how they do their job for little pay but what they do not tell you is how much money they save by controlling the tax structure and keeping their property tax rates low. I have always thought it was interesting that often times it is commissioner that are the largest landowners in a county. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

Go to the Wilson County School Board's website. You can open, view & print the proposed budget. The first page is "Area of Consideration for Potential Cuts From the General Purpose School Fund 2008-09". The top 3 - Eliminate new school buses - $800,000; Eliminate new bus routes - $150,000; Eliminate coaching supplements - $593,160. Interestingly enough though at the bottom 2 unbudgeted items that will have to be coverd by FY 2009-10: 20% increase in Electricity - $521,000 - understandable -- We all feel that pain; Payment of $1,350,000 to KBJM Architects - So, let me get this straight. We can pay for an unbudgeted item of $1.35 million for an architect, but we can't make sure our children have decent buses, adequate bus routes or pay our coaches & club sponsors. Sounds like Wilson County has its priorities mixed up.

where did you find this on there site. i couldnt find it

I understand that MJ needed a school and I have no problem with this with MJ don't get me wrong but the indoor field, two gyms, heavy duty mirrors for the weight room. Come on talk about a waste of budget. And I have been in and seen the Lebanon High School suffering with overcrowding and a school that was built in 1955 and I have been in it mold, etc. Now suggesting tax increase ok I would agree only if I know how the money is financial spent and it really goes toward schools in desperate need. Most kids at lebanon don't even get to eat lunch because of overcrowding. We need a group over the board spending and put a stop to all the wasteful spending. We all need to stand together and put our foot down and stand up for our kids instead of blaming other people. STAND UP FOR KIDS AND STOP THE CONPLAINING!! THE MONEY WAS WASTED AND COULD HAVE WENT FOR THE KIDS PROPERLY. OUR KIDS ARE OUR FUTURE!!!! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Ha! This is the pot calling the kettle black! The "new" Lebanon High is being built off of Hartmann Drive - for a price tag that is roughly $2.5 million more for just the property than any of the other options so Mr. Davis could "make a statement". The new MJ High is off of Curd Road with nothing but a dangerous curvy road off the beaten path as a main thoroughfare. Rich I tell you, rich. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />