News from Wilson County....

Football Man

Several of the Wilson County Commissioners own huge tracts of land -- land they would have to cough up additional taxes for if the rate was upped. I think their main interest is keeping $$$ in their own pockets. Kids deserve the opportunity to compete, march in the band, cheer, sing in the choir or act in a play.

If the plug is pulled, don't think for a minute that some of the D-2 schools won't be sending buses into Wilson County to cherry pick senior athletes. As I understand it, these kids would be ruled eligible immediately on a hardship basis.

Sorry to off subject, but where is Micheal " Big Snooty" King working this Fall. Word is he moved back to Gordonsville to help Moose. Thanks.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This happened a few years ago in Shelby County. Due to a budget crunch, coaches salaries were cut out. However, the schools were able to charge an activity fee to athletes. I think it was $50 a sport up to two sports. If you played a third you did not pay. The school collected the money. The school board payed the coaches and the schools then reimbursed the board. I believe this lasted two years. Now things arwe back to normal.

What are some of the consequences for extracurricular activities in Wilson County if the 24 cents isn??™t approved?

??? Students missing out on activities that they have worked/prepared so hard for

??? Students (seniors) missing out on memories of their senior year

??? Students (seniors) missing out on possible scholarships through athletics, band, and clubs

??? Students missing out on activities spent with close friends and team-mates (most of which they have been playing with since Pee Wee)

??? Students missing out on valuable life lessons taught by their coaches (Sometimes teachers and coaches are the only ones

teaching these valuable lessons)

??? Students transferring to other school districts to compete or simply going private (can you say ???support for vouchers???) this will affect

Wilson county athletics years down the road

??? Students finding other means of entertainment (you politicians figure out that one)

??? Student drop out rate will increase (athletics and extracurricular activities have a tendency to help keep kids out of trouble)

??? Businesses will lose money because the opponents supporters will not be spending for extra gas and food in Wilson county

??? Businesses will lose money because extracurricular activities will not need supplies for the teams or concessions being used

??? Businesses will lose that portion of money spent on donations to the various programs to promote their business (or the schools might be

asked to reimburse that money given) that affects the future of the business and program partnerships

??? Businesses will lose out on money because those kids and their parents will go to surrounding counties for entertainment (possible high

school sporting events)

??? Parents/Relatives/Peers will lose out on valuable memories for their love ones (sons and daughters/youth)

I understand no one wants to pay more taxes, but what are the consequences of our actions? We have elections coming up at all level of politics??”get out and voice your opinion and vote for what is right. What does the 24 cents mean to you and yours?

I understand that MJ needed a school and I have no problem with this with MJ don't get me wrong but the indoor field, two gyms, heavy duty mirrors for the weight room. Come on talk about a waste of budget. And I have been in and seen the Lebanon High School suffering with overcrowding and a school that was built in 1955 and I have been in it mold, etc. Now suggesting tax increase ok I would agree only if I know how the money is financial spent and it really goes toward schools in desperate need. Most kids at lebanon don't even get to eat lunch because of overcrowding. We need a group over the board spending and put a stop to all the wasteful spending. We all need to stand together and put our foot down and stand up for our kids instead of blaming other people. STAND UP FOR KIDS AND STOP THE CONPLAINING!! THE MONEY WAS WASTED AND COULD HAVE WENT FOR THE KIDS PROPERLY. OUR KIDS ARE OUR FUTURE!!!! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I understand that MJ needed a school and I have no problem with this with MJ don't get me wrong but the indoor field, two gyms, heavy duty mirrors for the weight room. Come on talk about a waste of budget. And I have been in and seen the Lebanon High School suffering with overcrowding and a school that was built in 1955 and I have been in it mold, etc. Now suggesting tax increase ok I would agree only if I know how the money is financial spent and it really goes toward schools in desperate need. Most kids at lebanon don't even get to eat lunch because of overcrowding. We need a group over the board spending and put a stop to all the wasteful spending. We all need to stand together and put our foot down and stand up for our kids instead of blaming other people. STAND UP FOR KIDS AND STOP THE CONPLAINING!! THE MONEY WAS WASTED AND COULD HAVE WENT FOR THE KIDS PROPERLY. OUR KIDS ARE OUR FUTURE!!!! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Boy is somebody missed informed. What indoor field?

I dis agree about the second Gym I think Lebanon High has had 2 Gyms for along time. Now basketball wont have a team finishing practice at 11p.m or coming into school at 5:30 am to have practice, or booster club renting Charlie Daniels rec Gym for practice. The So Called indoor facility is the Gym Lobby that they put a rubberized floor down so Cheerleaders, Band, Pe or any other group could use it if the need it.

I understand Lebanon needs a new school, but with the new MJHS the got the middle school into a bigger school so they didn need the portables anymore, and they also go another elementary to help with over crowding in the surrounding elementary. The biggest problem i see with the new highschool was the location and design of the parking lot. 1 entrance and 1 exit on a 2 lane road.

Ok understandable for MJ but I ask you to please take a trip to LHS during the week and see if you would like to deal with the issue the kids deal with. Off this subject!! We really need to financial management team to step in and take control of the issue and make sure our kids are taken care of and the money is being spent wisely.. KIDS FIRST THERE ARE FUTURE!!!

Excuse me! But do you disagree all I have spoke about other than the field. Look at the big picture. THE KIDS!!

Yes, I do disagree with you to an extent. There is no mysterious indoor practice facility for football. The newspaper reported that information and people are getting that blown out of wack. It is a big lobby that could be used for various things. Go by and look at if you wish. There are 2 gyms, but Lebanon has those too. I have no idea what the budget on the new MJHS is, but I do not like it when people say it was all supplied by Wilson County schools. Much of the money for the athletic fields came from donations or from the sports teams who will use them. I wish all the schools had equal facilities, but we have different people involved to help raise the money for the extras we may get. Not all ithe extras or personal itemswas supplied by the school system. Lebanon is due for its own and I hope they get equal or better facilities than MJ's. I know both Coach Perry and Brown personally and I know how both pull for there teams. They work hard to have nice facilities for the KIDS. A lot of donations go into a football program (all sports).

As far as the kids eating, that is new. I worked at Lebanon for six years. The food isn't bad. The kids tend to waste their money on other things besides eating the traditional school lunches, they instead buy things (junk) at the store in the cafeteria. I do agree they do not have much time to eat, but instead of coming off and complaining, find a darn solution.

In the long run, the kids are the ones who will be effected most. That is sad, but help fix the problem and do what you can to help the situation. Just whining is getting us no where.

Dang, I just missed lunch.