Greenbrier defeats Siegel in an a.m. schoolday match

5-Sport Dad

We went down to Siegel this morning at 9am (they'll reciprocate on 9/24 at 10am in Greenbrier) and played a match in front of a few interested parties and a whole lot of excited Siegel students. It was the craziest thing I've ever witnessed in high school sports. But, if it was an 'experiment,' I believe it worked. Kudos go to the Siegel and Greenbrier coaches for trying this. It looked like it could've been a real good moneymaker. And the atmosphere created by 'whoever' was great! The students were loud and the excitement of the light show and fake smoke was cool. $5 per head and lots of noise from the 'Siegel Nation.' GREAT job!...except one thing: Let the students get their money's worth next time (at 10am the announcer - who was really good and 'made the show' in my opinion - told the students that it was time to go to 2nd period classes). Even though our girls were a little 'bright eyed' because of the support, it didn't seem fair that they didn't get to stay until the match was over.

What ever the motivation, I liked doing this. Too bad more parents weren't able to come. It was worth leaving work or taking a vacation day to watch 2 good schools battle...on a schoolday morning??? Yep!

Good job Siegel and respective coaches.

Oh, yeah, the score was 25-27, 25-10 and 15-13 (I think) Greenbrier Lady Cats.

This doesn't surprise me about the show. Siegel puts on a show in everything they do. The man behind the fluff is Principal Nolan and his staff. "The Nation" is Tennessee's Premier School supporter. It is sure that they appreciated a school such as Greenbriar coming to the Nation's Home but were disappointed in the results of a match which during VB's normal hours could have not had that large of a crowd but a very large one. If you didn't realize it, Siegel is VB Country in that area just like Greenbriar is in the Northern Tennessee area. It's good to have great fans and good luck tonite.

This doesn't surprise me about the show. Siegel puts on a show in everything they do. The man behind the fluff is Principal Nolan and his staff. "The Nation" is Tennessee's Premier School supporter. It is sure that they appreciated a school such as Greenbriar coming to the Nation's Home but were disappointed in the results of a match which during VB's normal hours could have not had that large of a crowd but a very large one. If you didn't realize it, Siegel is VB Country in that area just like Greenbriar is in the Northern Tennessee area. It's good to have great fans and good luck tonite.

That's funny. Seigle is harder to spell than GreenbriEr, but...well, you know. I guess it's not how you play, but how you look. /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

We went down to Siegel this morning at 9am (they'll reciprocate on 9/24 at 10am in Greenbrier) and played a match in front of a few interested parties and a whole lot of excited Siegel students. It was the craziest thing I've ever witnessed in high school sports. But, if it was an 'experiment,' I believe it worked. Kudos go to the Siegel and Greenbrier coaches for trying this. It looked like it could've been a real good moneymaker. And the atmosphere created by 'whoever' was great! The students were loud and the excitement of the light show and fake smoke was cool. $5 per head and lots of noise from the 'Siegel Nation.' GREAT job!...except one thing: Let the students get their money's worth next time (at 10am the announcer - who was really good and 'made the show' in my opinion - told the students that it was time to go to 2nd period classes). Even though our girls were a little 'bright eyed' because of the support, it didn't seem fair that they didn't get to stay until the match was over.

What ever the motivation, I liked doing this. Too bad more parents weren't able to come. It was worth leaving work or taking a vacation day to watch 2 good schools battle...on a schoolday morning??? Yep!

Good job Siegel and respective coaches.

Oh, yeah, the score was 25-27, 25-10 and 15-13 (I think) Greenbrier Lady Cats.

So that everyone might get the wrong impression, This was not an experiment and thanks to the principal of the School and Kathy Paulk Slaughter, head coach of the Stars, this has been going on for about 4 years and its really been publicized a great deal when she does it. At least a couple of those years, Riverdale came to Siegel and the Battle of the Boro in volleyball was instituted. Siegel Nation gets in to those things and it is a production every time they do things. They practice. Other schools did the same things and if a way to promote VB and her team can be thought of she considers it. Cathy is an ultimate professional when it comes to promoting her sport and her players. This is not the only thing she does each year and sometimes without the acceptance this event gets but the School is definitely behind the VB Team and at games a number find their way to the arena and even sometimes make noise there, in fact, everytime. 7AAA is not big on quietness at a match but it's big on dressing up 50's style, wearing crazy hats and yelling crazily for their team (Parents?) Smoke and balloons and all of the showtime gives parents, fans, students, a reason to come and see what is going to happen next.

This is why this poster gets a little testy when posters belittle Coaches in their schools for Volleyball. 7AAA has the greatest group of coaches for putting on a show and producing a good product as could be had. They are stronger this year than last. If one does not think 11AAA does not have the same thing, you are mistaken. Volleyball coaching is more than dealing someone complaining about setting or hearing complaining why someone doesn't play. CPS has that I am sure but Coaching is for the players and for them to have fun and win along the way. By the way, she is a tough taskmaster but she has been to State 3 years in a row and her players I am sure will try to do that this year. Don't tell her that can't be done. She demands excellence and performance and the time she spends on the detail to do that is mind boggling. And challenging players to be better is something she likes to do. No one on the team is not above improving whether it is minor, minute areas or major consideration. Thats her job and thats why her leadership has been instrumental with her teams.

Yes I can show you a number of coaches like CPS and whether its liked or not, she runs her team. Thats why she's there. It's certainly good, in any profession, to see a person care and is good in what they do.

So that everyone might get the wrong impression, This was not an experiment and thanks to the principal of the School and Kathy Paulk Slaughter, head coach of the Stars, this has been going on for about 4 years and its really been publicized a great deal when she does it. At least a couple of those years, Riverdale came to Siegel and the Battle of the Boro in volleyball was instituted. Siegel Nation gets in to those things and it is a production every time they do things. They practice. Other schools did the same things and if a way to promote VB and her team can be thought of she considers it. Cathy is an ultimate professional when it comes to promoting her sport and her players. This is not the only thing she does each year and sometimes without the acceptance this event gets but the School is definitely behind the VB Team and at games a number find their way to the arena and even sometimes make noise there, in fact, everytime. 7AAA is not big on quietness at a match but it's big on dressing up 50's style, wearing crazy hats and yelling crazily for their team (Parents?) Smoke and balloons and all of the showtime gives parents, fans, students, a reason to come and see what is going to happen next.

This is why this poster gets a little testy when posters belittle Coaches in their schools for Volleyball. 7AAA has the greatest group of coaches for putting on a show and producing a good product as could be had. They are stronger this year than last. If one does not think 11AAA does not have the same thing, you are mistaken. Volleyball coaching is more than dealing someone complaining about setting or hearing complaining why someone doesn't play. CPS has that I am sure but Coaching is for the players and for them to have fun and win along the way. By the way, she is a tough taskmaster but she has been to State 3 years in a row and her players I am sure will try to do that this year. Don't tell her that can't be done. She demands excellence and performance and the time she spends on the detail to do that is mind boggling. And challenging players to be better is something she likes to do. No one on the team is not above improving whether it is minor, minute areas or major consideration. Thats her job and thats why her leadership has been instrumental with her teams.

Yes I can show you a number of coaches like CPS and whether its liked or not, she runs her team. Thats why she's there. It's certainly good, in any profession, to see a person care and is good in what they do.

I don't recall reading anywhere anything about the Siegel coach that would require the response you have posted. Unless you were recalling some moments during the last few years when her team were fighting so much among themselves that she left matches in tears. As to the time she spends trying to improve her team, dozens of coaches do the same thing, some may spend more time not having to care for young children. As to wrong impressions, what possible wrong impression could one get from Five-Sport's post? But you probably did accomplish one thing, you probably have persuaded Five-Sport from posting on this thread. He was commenting on an event that he enjoyed and you post a diatribe response that has nothing to do with his post. I have been to siegel a number of times over the years, but I don't recall any balloons or smoke. And I certainly don't recall any fifties dressing up. Perhaps I was concentrating on the match instead. But I wasn't focusing that much because we beat them every time we played them. The other colorful descriptions of the Siegel coach could also be used to describe numerous coaches at all levels across the state of Tennessee. So what is your point? Try to remember this, you don't have to show the great majority of posters on this site anything, they know about as much as you do, and some know more. Again, what is your point. One last thing, you made the statement that Siegel's players would try to return to state, duhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I believe that the great majority of players on every team will try and make it to state. You are so biased in alot of your posts that I am afraid you are running posters away. Perhaps some of the Memphis posters would agree. How about cooling it for awhile and lets see if anyone else in the state of Tennessee knows anything about volleyball. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> /wacko.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":wacko:" border="0" alt="wacko.gif" />