Division II AA "SuperPrep" Stats and Standings

thflyr

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Golden Tate graduated from JP2 in 2007 and the All-Decade team was from 1997-2006. No doubt that Golden Tate is one of the best offensive players ever in Tennessee. The only player from Father Ryan that could be included on the team is Billy May (WR) that went on to play at Penn.

As with most of these types of fan based polls, there is a bias towards more recent players, no doubt. For what it's worth, I did vote for Billy May...the best receiver ever in DII IMHO.

Hadouken, you certainly could make a valid argument either way on both Tyree Ford and Tyler Griffin making the list, and I guess you could also argue about Joe Birdsong, but other every other BA and MBA player on the list is a pretty righteous choice.

Those guys are good players, but they're not better than the people that are on the list. Martin, Coleman, and Idellette were all better than Campbell. I could rattle off at least a dozen linebackers/fullbacks better than Mondelli. O'Brien was just big. Not much of an athlete at all. There were at least 3 guys on the MBA line alone that year better than him. Bateman is the same as Mondelli. I don't remember others you have listed. Now, I'm not saying these guys aren't good players, but they are probably not the best at their positions over the time period of the poll. Billy May would definitely be Ryan's best shot at the list.

Golden Tate was not the best, as he failed to play exceptionally against better oponents. He did good versus trash teams but only average against the better D2 teams. Case in point, the guys on the list are the best in the D2 hisory, and are better players than Tate, at least offensively.

I expected a Ryan fan to say this /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Well everbody has there own opinion. A dozen is very far of, those guy were very good high school linebackers. The quarterback race would be very close, because if I remember it correctly Campbell won a state championship duing his time. Obrien was much better than you want to give him credit for. Curran and Phillips both had great high school careers. All of those guys were on the all-state team and elite eleven. So you tell me Big red!

They did more than play a role on a good team, they put up very good numbers and played great between the stripes. Sounds like your assessment of talent is not up to speed.

Your entitled to your opinion. Let's take a look further... which one of these do you think is a better replacement than the player on the list?

QB

Ingle Martin - 2 time all state performer, 3 state championships & 1 runner up, Parade All American, Elite 11 QB, 2 time Mr. Football, Signed at Florida, currently playing for Kansas City Chiefs

or

Todd Campbell - 1 statechampionship, 1 time All state, Mr. Football Finalist, Signed at Ole Miss

Richard Moore (won Mr. Football over Campbell and signed at UNC), BJ Colemon (UT), & Benji Walker (Vandy) were probably all better QBs than Campbell. Willie Idlette (Wake) played QB at Baylor but was more of an athlete so he may be a stretch.

LB

The Bateman and Mondelli families carry a certain folklore at Father Ryan but Matt Mondelli and Buster Bateman were much better wrestlers than football players. Chris Mosby signed at UT before a tragic car accident, Moses Osemwegie led teh SEC in tackles twice at VU, and Jake Slaughter started as a frosh at Auburn. Keppy Baucum was a big time hs player but a tad on the small side. If anyone would replace him, I would vote for John Stokes from MUS who played at VU last year as a true frosh. I would guess Ryans best bet from the lb corp would be Joey Montellbano. Did either Bateman or Mondelli even get a Division 1 offer (or graduate hs for that matter)?

OL/DL

This list is loaded. Which one of these guys would O'Brian be a better fit over?David Ligon (UT), Taylor Beougois (Auburn), Josh Willoughby (Memphis) would probably all roll in before he would.

Billy May is a legitmate contender but it's hard to say he's any better (or worse for that matter) than the two guys on the list.

If anyone would replace him, I would vote for Will Stokes from MUS who played at VU last year as a true frosh.

I agree on your addition of Stokes from MUS (now at Vandy), except that it's John, not Will. Will, John's younger brother, is currently making a name for himself as a senior at MUS.