It's not just about scoring

Canesoverhere

Based on all of your input, no Tennessee high school soccer team has ever overcome a 6-0 deficit. It would seem that at that point, the "game" or "the actual competitive challenge" to score a goal is essentially over. That is not to say the defense has thrown in the towel (though in some cases, they may have), as the players from both teams likely are "good sportsman", but it would seem that benefit in scoring goals is absent as it likely doesn't present the same challenge a comparibly matched team would present. BigG has provided several examples in which both teams could benefit from practicing other skills of the game. Coach, I couldn't agree with you more. Let's all get a workout and some benefit out of the time everyone prepared.

One post asked "what do you do when you are up 9-0, you passed the last defender and you are one-on-one with the goalie?" Let me offer several suggestions that I have watched players execute.

1. Tap it to the keeper and turn around and set up again as the keeper punts it back up the field. (high on the sportsmanship scale)

2. Switch the field.

3. Pass it back.

In order to liven up this thread a little more (how many pages can we have BigG?), let's get some thoughts on this. I feel we can quickly remove the "accidental 6 extra goals" phenomenon using this proposed method.

After the sixth goal is scored and the opposing team has yet to score, no other goals will be counted or posted or listed in the newspaper unless a goal is scored by the opposing team. If they do score, no more than six goals above their final score will be counted, posted or listed in the newspaper. Any of the "over the top goals will not count to anyone's statistics, team or individual player.

I am fairly confident, this will end the "running up" of scores.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just thought of one! If I remember correctly, this was happening in our middle school league last season in the lower divisions (there are 5 divisions from "A" to "E"). There were a few teams that would "sandbag" into a lower division and then beat the fire out of those less skilled teams. It was becoming a real problem from the league. So the league commisioner threatened that if this continued that every score over 5 goals would go to the other team!!! What a perfect idea! I'd bet it would solve the scoring dilemma! Beat a team 15-0 and it would be a loss to your own team 5-10! I'd bet you would see some "taps back to the keeper" in that situation, don't you, Canes?!?!

Now, the rule never came into effect (for obvious reasons) and the league adjusted how teams were put into divisions, but I thought it would have been a VERY interesting solution. Just thought I would offer it up for laughs!

MVM? DonC? Easttnref?

I think for anybody to go into a complete no-score offense, even with a 5 point lead, is crazy. Start bringing in bench players, yes, start ratcheting it down, yes, but to stop completely is irresponsible. Only if the other team has given up would I consider it. Otherwise, if the team scores only twice, then it is a game again. Even if the other team doesn't come back and win, there is no need to crack open that door even a little bit.

I'm also not really convinced that some of the suggestions (passing the ball to their goalie, etc) are any better than scoring against the other team. If you know the other team can score against you at will, and they are not, what is the incentive to even defend/try?

As I said before, I'm ok with a mercy rule. I'm also ok with shortening the game. Unsure if I like the idea of pulling players, as this mismatch may lead to players getting hurt. As far as moving defensive players forward, I have mixed feelings. There is some merit, but it doesn't do anything to help prepare your team to take your back line and shift them to front (assuming that they would never play up front in a close game). I also remember my daughter's club coach saying a few years ago with his college team, they were up by a bunch, and his goalie begged to get a chance to play forward.... only to get a season-ending injury.

One key is the avoid scheduling games where possible where there is a huge mismatch. You can't help but to play teams within your district (though somebody said you could avoid even these), and early in post-season, you might find yourself playing somebody not in your league. There is little value in the known or expected blowout games as far as preparing your team.

The 1991 Miami Hurricanes (National Champions that year) didn't have any problem with running up the score to 46-3 against Okalahoma in the Cotton Bowl, and I doubt many (if any) Miami fans worried that they were showing poor sportsmanship when they kept scoring.

I suspect we may never agree.

This happened just this week. A JV team scored early and often and from almost the beginning it was clear they were then told to not score unless wide open. It was ugly and they did indeed score several more times.

Nearly the entire second half was then played at mid field with a game of keepaway with the winning team "practicing' their passing game and the losing team playing chase.

It was an honest effort at sportsmanship but ended up being "rude" as many fans and the referee pointed out.

I've yet to read a good solution on here, but one thing is clear based on years of playing, coaching and watching, the final score is not nearly as humiliating as what happens on the field. I'd rather play hard in a real game situation and get scored upon that to be patronized in some misguided attempt at sportsmanship.

Edit: Should add that I'm assuming that the bench has been cleared.

You are absolutely correct!

However in this case, I am not sure we are talking apples and oranges (pardon the pun).

1. These were supposedly EQUALLY MATCHED teams.43-3.

2. 43 / 7 = 6 goals.

3. You may also wish to remember the Maryland Miami game.

In other words, I agree with you, but in football, a comparible running of the score would be 63-0, 84-0, 105-0?

Maybe all the blame shouldn't be put on the winning teams. Maybe some schools, if they are really going to field a team, should encourage more club team play in the area. Maybe some schools need to invest in a better coach. I do agree that benches should be cleared early on in obvious blow-outs, but I also believe all of those players need to still play the game, including scoring. The only reasonable solution in my mind is the mercy rule.

Honestly, if I were one of the coaches and playing a weaker team with a substantial/reasonable score already achieved, I would have them try and play possession for the rest of the game or only allow goals to be scored by headers or something of the sort. I think this would be the least disrespectful thing to do when it comes to these kinds of situations.

Again, scheduling the best opponents possible is key in keeping the game as competitive and fun as possible.